86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

odd ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd ticking sound

Ok so recently my 86 22re 4runner started randomly making a metallic like clicking/ticking sound from the rear passenger corner of the engine it almost sounds like a valve click and a fuel injector click. I thought possibly a valve but the sound is not all the time in fact at idle it barely there if at all and become noticeably loud around 2k and above. I checked the valves and they are within clearance. Used a mechanics stethoscope and could not locate the sound. It is intermittent (happens all the time now but the sound itself is intermittent/random). I am not throwing a code and the only things that are near the location of the sound are number 4 injector (failry recently serviced and sounds fine using scope), the vsv (relocated when egr was deleted), and the fuel pressure regulator (at least that's what I think that brass round thing is)....................

ideas??????????????????????
Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 PM

missing

my 86 22re has a noticeable miss above idle (not when driving but just sitting there and holding a rpm ie with my hand). It does not miss at idle.....

250k on chassis and motor accessories (except alt, clutch, starter)
it has a new motor (3-5k miles and timed correctly etc)
new plugs
new cap
new rotor
cleaned injectors (witch hunter)
afm tests fine
tps test fine
no vacuum leaks (egr deleted so I have very few lines now)
no code

I'm thinking either a bad throttle body related item

or the distributor

thoughts?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you replaced the fuel filter ?. I also have an 86 4Runner, did you notice a difference in performance with the egr removed ?.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think i remeber you building that engine not too long ago yes? Anyway is it more of a "tick" "tick" "tick" "tick" or a "tap" "tap" "tap" "tap" or a "clack" "clack" "clack." Got oil in it? High reved a few times? Exhaust leak? Vibrating parts? You engine is never going to be 100% quiet. I would keep driving it until it gets worse or causes driveablity. Get a video?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM

What kind of plugs you got? If they are not NGK then..... possible problem. Sure its missing? Or is it hesitating? Or is it stumbling?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Have you replaced the fuel filter ?. I also have an 86 4Runner, did you notice a difference in performance with the egr removed ?.
new fuel filter

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Have you pulled the rocker cover and looked at the t-chain guides?

gNARLs.
they're goood

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
I think i remeber you building that engine not too long ago yes? Anyway is it more of a "tick" "tick" "tick" "tick" or a "tap" "tap" "tap" "tap" or a "clack" "clack" "clack." Got oil in it? High reved a few times? Exhaust leak? Vibrating parts? You engine is never going to be 100% quiet. I would keep driving it until it gets worse or causes driveablity. Get a video?
it's a tick similar to a fuel injector ticking but much louder or an electrical arcing sound

What kind of plugs you got? If they are not NGK then..... possible problem. Sure its missing? Or is it hesitating? Or is it stumbling?
ngk plugs

it stumbles above idle but not at idle and not under load only when it's sitting still
Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you try`d pulling the throttle body off and giving it a good cleaning ?.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 AM

doing that today...........

also my first two post were supposed to be separate threads but someone combined them.........

the problems are likely unrelated unless the fpr is the root cause of all of it
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM

The stumble sounds like EGR but you said its gone sooo.....yea.... I think you need to start looking at your AFM. Do the resistance test for it. If you got any haynes or toyota book it should tell you, or just look it up. Its easy. If any of its out of spec anywhere by any amount its bad. Sure you don't have any electrial wire grounding out somewhere? Spark plug wires? Pin size holes in a plug wire will cause it to arc out. Any codes? History codes?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 PM

The stumble sounds like EGR but you said its gone sooo.....yea.... I think you need to start looking at your AFM. Do the resistance test for it. If you got any haynes or toyota book it should tell you, or just look it up. Its easy. If any of its out of spec anywhere by any amount its bad. Sure you don't have any electrial wire grounding out somewhere? Spark plug wires? Pin size holes in a plug wire will cause it to arc out. Any codes? History codes?
ok so it's gotten worse, it now does not want to idle above 500rpm even with adjusting the screw way out.....

no grounding issues, lights are bright, do not fluctuate, also have newish grounds with additional grounds added
throttle body is clean
afm specs out
no codes
I eliminated the vsv for the fpr so I'm down to very few vacuum lines which I also replaced just to make sure there were no leaks
it also does not high idle like it should when it's cold
idles normal (750rpm) sometimes after it's been driven, until it shut off and then it does it again
I'm thinking it stems from the cold start iac thing on the throttle body

time to upgrade to the newer style intake manifold/throttle body

thanks for the help everyone keep suggestions coming
Old 01-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Hows the gas mileage? Check coolant temp sensor. Is the truck full to the top with coolant. Was the cooling system bled after the motor work? Main intake hose leaking? Dirty air filter? When the new motor was installed do you know if the idle and timing were set correctly? Does the (MIL) even work? You said you EGR is gone... is there block off plates? Intake manifold leaking? Spray carb cleaner around areas suspected of leaking if the engine speed changes with the carb cleaner then theres your leak. Sure valve clearnaces are correct? Remeber they are adjusted hot. Check fuel pressure. Should be about 34-39.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Hows the gas mileage? Check coolant temp sensor. Is the truck full to the top with coolant. Was the cooling system bled after the motor work? Main intake hose leaking? Dirty air filter? When the new motor was installed do you know if the idle and timing were set correctly? Does the (MIL) even work? You said you EGR is gone... is there block off plates? Intake manifold leaking? Spray carb cleaner around areas suspected of leaking if the engine speed changes with the carb cleaner then theres your leak. Sure valve clearnaces are correct? Remeber they are adjusted hot. Check fuel pressure. Should be about 34-39.
gas mileage is the same
coolant temp stays constant on the gauge not really sure how to check it
intake hose is good
new air filter
idle and timing were perfect (motor has around 5k miles now and this is a recent problem)
check engine light works (blinks "good" when diagnostics jumpered)
egr is blocked off with plates I built and they are sealed well
I'll check for leaks on the manifold
valve clearances are as close as I can make them, done hot (love how it so arbitrary ie slight drag on the feeler)
fuel pressure not sure on but I don't have a gauge
Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PAIR reed valve?
Pull the hose off the top of the resonator (toilet bowl float looking thing between the throttle body and the radiator and plug it. See if the issues stop.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
PAIR reed valve?
Pull the hose off the top of the resonator (toilet bowl float looking thing between the throttle body and the radiator and plug it. See if the issues stop.
I'll try......got a picture of what it is/where/what I need to plug thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 PM

You'll see it. It connects to the smaller tube that crosses over to the air filter housing.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
You'll see it. It connects to the smaller tube that crosses over to the air filter housing.
that plunger thing does not exist on my 4runner or the tube to the airbox

it's on my 93 but not my 4runner

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 01-02-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-valve-95842/

the video posted in this thread sounds somewhat like the sound (towards end of video) I am hearing but my sound is more intermittent.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 PM

umm... okay.

There should be two tubes wrapping around the back of the engine.
One goes from the bottom of the intake manifold to the heater core.
With me so far?
The other should bolt to the back of the exhaust manifold, and it's probably looking like stainless steel, and it wraps around the back of the engine and connects to a device under the intake, near the fuel filter, and that device should have an electrical connection as well as a pipe that connects to the intake somewhere.

Last edited by abecedarian; 01-02-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 AM

here's a vacuum diagram
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...Toyota22RE.gif

I cannot find one for the rest of the vacuum system including that for the pair system

btw all I have is the vacuum line to the charc canister to the throttle body and from the intake to the fuel pressure regulator. Both vsv's, the bsv, and the egr are completely gone along with the related vacuum lines off the ac idle up, powersteering idle up, throttle body and the metal vacuum line things.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Abe... the resonator your talking about was not on 22re's until 1988.... i might be thinking of something else then what your talking about though....... "ahem" anyway but that def sounds like the idle air valve or one of the valves, try tapping on it when the engine is running.... unless something is vibrating.....

Last edited by Kiroshu; 01-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.