86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

nor cal shop to do SAS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nor cal shop to do SAS?

just wondering if anyone knew of a good reliable shop that can do a SAS on a 1988 4runner. i got a quote from one shop and they said around 3 grand when they provide the axle. i would attempt to do it on my own, but the lack of a garage and time is preventing it. the main reason for the SAS is that I just installed a new engine/clutch/transfer case and got the truck running very well, so i'd like to start getting it ready for some good wheeling.

i took it out wheeling last weekend on some local trails and i'm noticing the limitations of the IFS. anyways, just wondering if anyone has worked with a shop within 2-3 hours of the bay area that does good work at a decent price.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

UKMeyers had some real good luck using a kid in Concord??
Pm him and get the name. He goes out (air Force) alot so it might be a day or more for a response. Or search for his Build up it might have the kids name there.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
there is also AJ at Bent Up in Sac..... www.bentup.com
Old 12-07-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finding a good shop is like finding a Sig Other.

Theres more to the relationship than just "price".

Most of it boils down to trust and communication.

It helps if you have done alot of work yourself - that way when they run into issues you'll know what they are going through (and no - that they didnt just ham fist it and bust it apart - or maybe they did)

As is usual with these things - its usually not inexpensive either.

I have a local shop that I work with up here. They do it they way I would do it if I had the time (wife, 2 kids and and house takes up alot of time). It helps a ton that we have more than one car so that they can take their time.

The big problem with complex projects like an SAS is that paying for it almost makes it cost prohibitive.

The other issue is that I cant afford my own labor, It used to be that wen Kathy and I (and later Sarah and Keith) went up to my Parents hose (they have a garage - we live in the city) Kathy woudl spend the day napping or shoping or doing work and my Mom and Dad helped with the kids while I wrenched in the garage. Kathy used to compalin about the TIME. Now she sees the shop bill and goes OH...
Old 12-07-2007, 06:37 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2km5
i took it out wheeling last weekend on some local trails and i'm noticing the limitations of the IFS.
Care to explain more?

What trail(s)?

Do you have lockers, armor, bigger tires, etc already?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 PM

i would recommend have triple x traction do your sas they are in seaside
Old 12-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Check out www.davezoffroadperformance.com. He's in Placerville and does good work at a reasonable price.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Sponsor

dude.... i just watched Extreme 4x4 on spike... if they can do an SAS, bob/dove tail and a 350 swap in an hour plus commercials, you should be able to do your sas in your driveway in a weekend..... rent a welder and do it yourself
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM

i'd love to do it myself, but work commitments don't make it possible. i'm a second year attorney and working close to 7 days a week. if time does pop up, it's not continuous, so it'd take me a good month to try to get it done myself.

i already have a truetrac installed in the rear which really impressed me in the mud and loose dirt areas. i didn't install any locker/limited slip in the front because i was anticipating the SAS and didn't want to eat the cost of buying one and then replacing it later on. I don't have sliders, but removed the front valence for some clearance and installed a marlin rear bumper for some protection. i also just put in some 31" cooper discoverer st, which i would really recommend to anyone looking for an AT tire.

i do have shop that i trust very much that built a new 22re, installed my truetac and handled various other little tweaks with sensors. that was the shop i was talking about, but i just wanted to get some feedback on other shops and their prices. i'll give a call around to the ones suggested and go from there.

the trails that i did were just around my house. They aren't anything special and some local roads on open land with some steep declines, mounds and inclines. the 4runner did well, but i did see the limitations to the IFS. i was able to conquer everything that i did try, but there were a couple times where the lack of articulation made the 4runner feel a bit topsy/turvy. one of the main reasons why i was thinking of getting it done is b/c of wanting a lift. i didn't want to invest in an IFS lift and then get an eventual SAS and have to get a compatible lift installed.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
BMC

Originally Posted by bigarms23
i would recommend have triple x traction do your sas they are in seaside
X2 on triple x traction. I live in monterey and have seen a lot of trucks they have built. Not sure what they charge but their work is excellent.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Sponsor

idk after rereading everything i am not sure you need an SAS right now.... get out and wheel the piss out of your stock IFS.... then do a SAS. is this a DD? drive a built SAS'ed rig everyday gets old.... and $$$
Old 12-10-2007, 08:29 PM

at least you're not wasting money with an IFS lift. if i were you i would throw the LSD in the front when you do the SAS and throw a locker in the rear. it sounds like you got a solid plan and the budget to back it up so good luck

there's also the craigslist alternative do what i did and find an already-beat SAS toy on craigslist, do minor repairs that the previous owner was too lazy to do, and have yourself one kickass trail rig. you don't have to drive it every day so scratches and handling pretty much dont matter anymore and you will also get less funny looks

i got it for less than half of what you are looking at for a SAS too

Last edited by fork; 12-10-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM

thanks for the advice guys. i'll go along with tofer and wheel the piss out of the ifs as it sits now. i'll make the phone calls to get some quotes on the installs, but wait to pull the trigger.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

There are several things you can do to significantly increase the practical articulation of the IFS - search and you'll find tons on
- balljoint spacers
- disconnect the front swaybar