86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New rig - 86 Turbo Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New rig - 86 Turbo Pickup

Well, I picked up an 86 Toyota Turbo Pickup over the weekend. Needs some(ok alot) of TLC, but should be fun once it's done, only $1360 to boot!

Icing on the Cake is that my bike fits int he bed length wise, with the tailgate closed! (anyone else find a $4500 downhill bike in the back of a $1400 pickup funny?)

I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I don't think I'm going to build it into a serious wheeler. I just can't justify the cost for how much I'm going to take it out(specifically an SAS). So here's what I'm thinking:

Suspention: ~2" lift for a bit of extra lcearance
63" Chevy rears, mabey go with the /\ shocks. 1" blocks if needed
1.5" BJ spacers
IFS truss

Wheels/Tires:
For now, I'm going to throw on a set of 31" BFG AT's I've already got on my 4Runner
in the future(once they wear out) go to a 33x10.5

Body:
fiberglass bed sides, and new metal up front
fully bed line the inside of the box, and the bottem 6" of the body sides

Engine:
rebuild the top end, APR headstuds, cam(still deciding which)
Intercooler for the turbo
T3 turbo kit...if budget allows.
various other turbo related stuff

And the big one:
get rid of that crappy ass automatic tranny!!!
swap in a 5-spd, R151F if I can get my hands on one, or a W56 if not.

Now I jyst need someone to buy my 4Runner so I can get some cash to start

Old 08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
love the duck tape on the intake
Old 08-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Nice bike!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rough. It looks like an Ontario truck. But I like it! Restify it to it's orginal glory. Find an Arizona bed and panels, forget the 'glass. Keep us updated. Were the turbo motors intercooled? The duct tape is funny, but I like seeing stuff like what looks like an OE rad cap and hose clamps. Is the truck relatively free of Uncle Jim Bob backyard fixes otherwise? I can't help thiinking what a sharp truck it was when new.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Hey, I love your truck!!! I have a 1987 standard cab turbo, I was impressed with what that turbo does pushing 33" BFG's compared to my 1990 3vze pushing the same tires. Good Luck!
JMach1
Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by truckmike26
Rough. It looks like an Ontario truck. But I like it! Restify it to it's orginal glory. Find an Arizona bed and panels, forget the 'glass. Keep us updated. Were the turbo motors intercooled? The duct tape is funny, but I like seeing stuff like what looks like an OE rad cap and hose clamps. Is the truck relatively free of Uncle Jim Bob backyard fixes otherwise? I can't help thiinking what a sharp truck it was when new.
The guy I got it from bought it in Edmonton beggining of the summer...not sure where it was before that. The duct tape is the only "Uncle Jim Bob" fix I've found...so far. But the intake is getting re-done anyways, when I get an intercooler.

I'm not too sure about the "Arizona" pannels(inside of box is great), just because of the hasstle of locating and shipping box sides all the way from AZ to Calgary. Why do you say forget the fiberglass? I was thinking of getting it from Toyota Fiberglass, they're supposed to be pretty tough too, and in the price range. But I'm always on the hunt at Pick-your-part for good stuff.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

There is a shop over in BC [kelowna] I think that makes complete one piece Fibreglass boxes for toyotas. If you search for toyota fibreglass it should come up. they also have a body kit for the first gen runner to go doorless that would fit your truck [if you want to go that route] haha . Nice looking truck though the intercooler should make it really fly. I think I saw an article some place that showed a cooler mounted down behind the front skid plate.
Cheers Aviator
Old 08-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahhh. My bad. When you mentioned fibreglass, I thought you were gonna patch the holes with it. No, for sure thise fibreglass skins look cool.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like that toyotaglass link.. search pirate 4x4, there are a lot of good posts on the subject - some manufacturers have quality issues, some MUCH better than others.

On the bed, you'd probably be better off finding a good used steel setup, or going to something custom fabricated for your money.. Either way, it's going to end up being a truck that you've got some money in... The budget option would be to find a body in great shape and swap over the 22RTE complete.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
have to make a acount for pirate 4x4 in order to search
Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elton
have to make a acount for pirate 4x4 in order to search
Not true...

In some ways, the google search method is far surperior than the built in search function.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
hey guys ...

Bill ... NICE truck . I love it .. and i'll buy it , if you want to sell .

fiberglass is the way to go .. I sell the good stuff @ toyotafiberglass.com , and I can only tell ya its great .

as a matter of fact ....... I was just in an accident yesterday ..

lady , driving a ford rear ended me .

Now I know the "crash " part of the fenders and stuff , but check out the damage to my FIBERGLASS TAILGATE AND BED

Tailgate dosent actually work anymore .. and will need to be replaced .. but holy crap ..
Old 09-01-2006, 05:14 PM

slacker...NO my new toy!

Although, that defonitly sold me on fiberglass from you. The directions for instal you sent me were a bit more than I was expecting(or hoping), but doesn't look too complicated.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like that bumper did its job for sure, with regard to the tailgate are you sure it needs to be replaced? Looks like all it might need is maybe a latch service.
Aviator
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM

nice truck, yea the duck tape is pretty much standard on the 86 now a days lol look at mine

under neath that someone put this silicone stuff on it, its the red stuff in the pic
but very nice truck!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Looks like that bumper did its job for sure, with regard to the tailgate are you sure it needs to be replaced? Looks like all it might need is maybe a latch service.
Aviator
Bumper DID do its job ... but the Fender area impacted directly onto the gate .. that is ford paint on the gate

Gate can most likely be fixed .. The latch system was pulled partly out , tore the glass a bit , on the pillar side , the bolts bulled threw the *kevlar .. I didnt open it yet to see the all the damage , because I figured I would leave it untill I get to the insurance company .. (appt. on Wed. 6th) .

Bill ... yes .. 84-88 sides we're not replacable like on the 89 --> trucks . Toyota NEVER made a replacement skin only a replacement side , which included the wheel well , so it is a bit of work .
BTW , did you see the pricing on front fenders ? steel or glass

so your sure you dont want to sell it to ME huh ? I'm only going to ask 10 more times

Last edited by slacker; 09-03-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM

I can't see it!!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

probably because the threads a tad old and the photos have been deleted from where they were hosted.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:12 PM

NO, NO, NO!!!!

I didn't want this post to come back till I actually had something to add to it. But I guess I can give a quick run down.

Currently the truck is in about 600 pieces in my carport, and has been for about 2 months(busy semester...and it's cold).

But I currently I've got the normal rebuild stuff waiting for some time:
EB timing kit
turbo oil pump
water pump
gaskets
etc.

and the fun stuff waiting to go on:
EB Street RV head
268 Cam
T3 w/ custom adapter flange to stock manifold.

I also have a set of EB pistons on the way that I'm going to have lathed down to get my compression ratio down to 8.0:1. Using the 22RE head vs the turbo boost my CR to a point that I risk detonation...BOOO!!!

I also got my tranny swap done just before I tore it apart. Got a 1000km round trip done with the new tranny, and I gotta say, it was sweet. Plus I've got an Allpro T-case brake installed. Figure it didn't come with an e-brake cable and I want rear discs anyways, so why not.

Big thanks to Ted at EB...Ted you have the patience of a saint, you rock.

Darin, and Tim you're on my credits list too.