Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New blinker set up for tube bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just out of curiosity do the cops ever give u issues w/ that stinger bar thats blocking ur headlights or are they more lenient in Md towards that type of stuff?... just upp the wattage in the bulb ur buy a bigger one. the flasher works on resistence and the 5 watts resistance may not be enough.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK UPDATE:

So after trying to figure out the fast flash I decided to take a trip to the hardware store and see what I could do to make the blinkers fit in with marker lights.

So I got to the store and found a few things that I thought would help with the re-invented blinkers/marker light so when I got a set of the bulb holders I could work on the install.

Here's what I picked up

Dremel tool high speed cutter # 199 and a 1" grinding stone # 8215 not shown lol

After a little measuring a 5/8 hole bit for the marker light relocation

So when I got home I started looking at my 2000 Tacoma roll over that is my 3.4 swap donor and noticed the bulb plugs were still there so I thought why not see if they will fit the 4runner and guess what the bulb holders from a 2000 Taco fit a 93 4runner like a glove and the blinkers blink perfect LIGHT BULB COMES ON OVER MY HEAD!

TIME TO START THE REAL BLINKER MOD SO HERE GO'S

First I pulled the markers lights and corner light housings and start the mod here's everything I will be working with

First step is to drill a new 5/8's hole for the marker light using the the 5/8th's hole bit and move it up closer to the top of the lens housing one side at a time started with the right side double checked to make sure I was at the top and not the bottom.

Next was time to use the cutter and make the 3 little cuts for the twist in holders
there not pretty like the factory ones but they do work well they have a nice tight fit even without having to turn the thing it fits hard to pull outand seems to be air tight.

[IM

hard to control but with patiance it burned threw the plastic to make a perfect 1" hole and yes next was the cut's for the hold in tabs ic to mareal trick.

Grinding wheel fit perfectly inside the large un drilled area l realt was considered by Toyota or in this case since they are clears the chineese.

both bulb housings in talk about timing just as I finished up with this one the pizza guy is in the driveway food break

OK 1/2 hour break over so I repeated the process on the second one and here's how they both turned out now I have to get one new yellow bulb because I bought 1157's and these require 1156's so tomorrow I will get that and bulb and test fit them into the runner and see how they do.

Not sure if you can make out the two bulbs in the lens but they look pretty good and like they will do a good job when they actuilly get put to the test they seem to have enough space between them I don't think they will interfear with each other.

If you did not notice I had to cut one side of the bulb holder for the blinker to fit against the side of the housing one side more then the other but both look pretty much like this one.

So there it is hope maybe someone else can use this info to do there blinker mod

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-10-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
didn't no you still had the bulb holders from the old ones that works too .... how was that pizza
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
didn't no you still had the bulb holders from the old ones that works too .... how was that pizza
YES I knew they were there just didn't think they would be the same being 7 years newer As for the pizza it was fast, easy to make and tasty the pizzas here are hit and miss if the punks are cooking it it's full of toppings but not very good when the grown ups cook it like to night it is tasty and cooked right
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice mod!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM

NICE!!!...or you could have just plugged up the wire goin to the blinker into the marker light bulb...and BOOM..done....although it won't be a very bright blinker..however it does work!!! and it's free LOL..

i will be doing this mod though whenever i get the bumpers for the '92 runner
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM

I like it. Now I gotta do it.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats exactly what i did back when i put the smitty on. i was getting pissed about the modified fog light fix and had a flash of inspiration. works great. get a set of marker plugs (cost me a 6er), make the new hole and wire em up.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

NOTE :

If you are going to do it like I described above then DELETE THE DRILLING OF THE TOP HOLE AND WIDEN ONLY THE EXISTING HOLE TO 1 1/4 OR A BIT SMALLER the top marker light will not fit because it hits the head light frame and requires too much of the frame to be removed and it looks like the frame will be to unstable and will not hold up so here is what I came up with to make it work and yes I will be replacing my corner lights and making it like this so I don't have that 5/8th holes up above

SORRY I HAVE THEM INSTALLED ALREADY AND IT"S 3:30 A.M.SO TAKING A PIC OF THEM IS NOT IN THE CARDS RIGHT NOW NOW PICKED THESE UP AT ADVANCED AUTO FOR $5.30 EACH YOU NEED TWO ONE FOR EACH SIDE.

cut out the stock marker light socket hole to 1 1/4 or a bit smaller then place these in the big hole but you will have to trim the socket like shown above if you get them to close to the sides like I did. Then you need to take the marker light and blinker lights and cut the stock ends off and wire them up to the new sockets like this

from new socket - NOTE:YOU MAY HAVE TO REVERSE THE WIRING FOR YOUR SETUP MINE IS A 93
yellow to stock blinker power green with red
white to stock marker green with red
black to stock ground white with black from both stock lights all 3 joined together
Shrink wrap all the wire connects together and you are ready to reinstall the lenses and enjoy your new OLHARLEYMAN custom marker/flasher set up!

You want the hole to be tight on the new socket tabs so it stays in place and if you have to like I did because I opened the hole a bit to much you can bend the tabs out a bit to get them to hold tight in the hole they will not sit flush because of the two high points on either side of the valley the stock light sits in but you can silicone the gaps to keep it dry inside and help hold the new housing in place.

These sockets are set up for 1157 dual filiment bulbs and they work AWESOME!

Marker light

Marker light and Blinker Blinking at NORMAL RATE