86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low Profile Bumpstops on a stock 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low Profile Bumpstops on a stock 4runner

Are there any advantages to low profile compression (lower) bumpstops on stock 4runners? I have a first gen 4runner that is completely stock other then 31" tires and no front sway bar. I am considering buying low profile bumpstops. Before I purchaused them I went outside to test my suspension. I jacked the 4runner up by the lower A-arm and it never hit the lower bumpstop. There was still a good 3/4" gap between the lower bumpstop and the A-arm. I keep hearing people talk about how they allow IFS more articulation, but how could that be if it can't even hit the stock bumpstops? Thanks

Patrick
86 4runner
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the tbars, you have a hard time "flexing it out" with just a jack. It flexes more in real life. For the price, I think it's a great mod to get more flex!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
With the tbars, you have a hard time "flexing it out" with just a jack. It flexes more in real life. For the price, I think it's a great mod to get more flex!
i agree here, I put on ES ones on my 92 runner. It is cheap and easy with benefits. And yes you do flex out more in real time driving. look up above the bumpstop, and youll probably see a glossy looking round spot on the metal from all the contact
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where can you can these bumpstops?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO just slapping on low profile bump stops when the bars arent cranked (or stiffer bars installed) doenst net much - but also its an inexpensive mod.

A Jounce Shock would do alot - but is not an easy or straightforward mod.

I have 300M torsions and run STOCK lower bump stops - I want the bigger bumper to soak up the hits - tho with those T bars I no longer have a sear spot
Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
IMHO just slapping on low profile bump stops when the bars arent cranked (or stiffer bars installed) doenst net much - but also its an inexpensive mod.
I thought cranking T-bars and stiffer t-bars can limit compression?

Wow funny that someone brought this thread back today, I was just about to order a set of bumpstops from summit racing today. I was looking at universal energy suspension bumpstops. I needed smaller then stock diameter bumpstops since I had to grind one of the bump stops mounts to clear my Skyjacker hydro shocks. I don't know about other 4runners, but for my first generation 4runner with BJ spacers when the suspension is at full droop my shock hit the mount. Luckily I installed the shocks while the motor was out so the truck was at full droop otherwise I would of never known and would be damaging my shocks.

How tall of a bumpstop do you first gen 4runner guys use?

Last edited by strykersd; 08-27-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM

stockers all around for me. I think I might have to replace teh droop bumps soon. I will probably go with a poly stop of the same size.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
deleted "misinformation"

Last edited by ewong; 08-28-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ewong
The "limiter" on travel are
-- stock bump stops
-- metal tab that the bump stop is mounted to
BREAKAGE
not sure if the CVs (inner or outer) or BJs or contro arm mounts will go first

Low profile bump stops on the UPPPER side are used becuase when lift is cranked in - the upper A arm can "ride" on the upper snubber - making a rattle etc...

Low profile bump stops on the LOWER side allow a bit more compression "travel" before the bump stop "engages".
But the over all travel remains the same.
Wow. So much misinformation, where to start?

First, the WHOLE POINT of bumpstops is to limit the travel. Whether they are stock or low pro, that's what they're there for. You limit the travel to prevent breakage/binding.

You can EASILY get more compression travel. Look at how the CV sits - angled down. You have to bend it straight before you even remotely approach an angle where you will damage it.

You need to be careful on the droop, though, because the CV is already bent that way ... kinda like a head start. Even then, there is still SOME droop travel available before damaging the CV - look at all the guys running BJ spacers to get extra droop.

Cranking the t-bars will increase the load required to get the same amount of compression. Obviously, if this exceeds the weight of the truck, you're just gonna lift the truck up, not compress the suspension.