Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looks like my axle is leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like my axle is leaking...

I've noticed over the last couple of days that some grease has been showing up on my passenger side rear tire. I thought it might be an axle seal or a break cylinder (I was really hoping for the later). But this morning I work up and my back tire was bathing in a small puddle of what appears to be gear oil. How much is this repair going to cost me.

I would love to hear some good news, this has been an expencive week as is with prom and other repairs to my truck I could have done but haven't had time because of prom. I really hope this girl appreciates it.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the differential breather (ontop of the pumpkin) and make sure its' clear of debris.

Chances are its clogged and the damage is already done to the outer seal(s) and they'll need replacing.

If you have 14mm wrench you can do repairs to both sides for about $250.. Shop fee's, parts and shipping.

I'd order the parts from marlincrawler. Seems to have the best package going around or you can get the parts through a local parts store. Marlins kit includes EVERYTHING you'll need. I had to use the dealership and a few parts store to complete my axle rebuild since I'd already gotten the bearings and what have you before discovering MArlin Crawler.

Anyways.. first time I replaced my rear bearings i had a shop install the outter seal and new bearing for $40 an axle.. $80 said and done. I provided the bearing and seals.

Second time I installed new axles I bought a press and did all the work myself ... cost of a press which has paid for itself about 5x already in savings from paying someone!

anyways, when gear oil is leaking at the wheels the outerseal is failing or has failed which is caused by either just being old and worn out or the breather utop the pumpkin is plugged which causes pressure to build up in the axle housing and the next place for that pressure to escape is at the outer seals.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
check the differential breather (ontop of the pumpkin) and make sure its' clear of debris.

Chances are its clogged and the damage is already done to the outer seal(s) and they'll need replacing.

If you have 14mm wrench you can do repairs to both sides for about $250.. Shop fee's, parts and shipping.

I'd order the parts from marlincrawler. Seems to have the best package going around or you can get the parts through a local parts store. Marlins kit includes EVERYTHING you'll need. I had to use the dealership and a few parts store to complete my axle rebuild since I'd already gotten the bearings and what have you before discovering MArlin Crawler.

Anyways.. first time I replaced my rear bearings i had a shop install the outter seal and new bearing for $40 an axle.. $80 said and done. I provided the bearing and seals.

Second time I installed new axles I bought a press and did all the work myself ... cost of a press which has paid for itself about 5x already in savings from paying someone!

anyways, when gear oil is leaking at the wheels the outerseal is failing or has failed which is caused by either just being old and worn out or the breather utop the pumpkin is plugged which causes pressure to build up in the axle housing and the next place for that pressure to escape is at the outer seals.
I have a 3rd gen Runner if that applies to the same seals....my breather was clogged too and my seals were leakin grease into the the drums gummin up my brakes.

anyway, my 2c's on where to troubleshoot too!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Had the same problem with my 94 runner. My driver's side brake drum looked like someone had greased it with a grease gun from diff fluid leaking in it over time. I would unbolt and pull the whole axle/drum assembly and have a look at your inner seal that is pressed into the end axle housing (about 4 inches inside). If it looks bad (broken, cracked, etc.) you may be in luck - only replace the inner seals. You can easily pop them out with a screwdriver. They are like a $3.00 part. You can tap the new ones in with a big socket or handle of a hammer. Lube the rubber on the seal with grease before reinserting the axle. This is the easy seal to replace... the other outer seal is inside the hub assembly and can only be accessed by pressing the bearing retainers out, which requires a press/clamshell setup or paying a shop to do it.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

from past experience, once gear oil is leaking, you need to do bearings. gear oil will wash out the grease in the bearings rendering them useless.

have fun at the prom and good luck with the little lady appreciating all your hard work and sacrifice.

lee
Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Yep, same exact thing happening/ed to me. Though my breather wasn't clogged, so it's either from swampin it in deep water, or just old seals rather than the gear oil boilin out through the seals... Need to do the outter seal here before too long. I work at a shop (without a press unfortunatly, or I'd already have this fixed), so I have just about unlimited acess to free gear oil so I just keep on pumpin it full every couple of days, but that's just a bandaid for a flesh wound that needs stitches and staples...

But I'm hopin that havin it shipped out to have the seals pressed on won't cost too much, seein as how I'm gonna be tearin it apart and suppling the parts...
Old 04-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check breather then replace the seal. I ts actually much easier than it appears. Unbolt the axle (4 nuts) disconnect the brake line and park cable, slide it out of the tube (can even leave wheel and drum on, b ut you will probably want to wash the shoes down with a complete can of brake cleaner) and slide int he new seal. Real easy task.