Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AZkid
precrawler!
long travel
its what i want
still get the good flex/travel
lift
and its just cool.
It may get some travel when you put weight on it just rightbut it will never offer the stability of a well built straight axle suspension and it will never take the same abuse

Edit: By no means am i saying LT doesnt have it's place because it does. I just think for crawling and expedition (like the op would like to do) sfa is the way to go

Last edited by algranger; 09-01-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Exactly!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by tc
g cali - were both stock, modified - and how much?

Because I have 'wheeled with stock '85's and the flex ain't nothin' to write home about - the same, or possibly, even worse than stock early IFS.

But this thread ain't about stock IFS - it's about longtravel - and unless you've run a longtravel setup you're not really talking about the same thing.
I agree, stock vs stock they perform about the same. Those old tired springs dont flex as well as they used to
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM

My 85 is no where near stock, read my signature... My 86 is basically stock, add a leafs and 32" BFG's. But im just sayin whether its built or not, even long travel ifs is not gonna perform in the rocks. Either your gonna bottom out all over the place, or your suspension will just be so tight that you cant articulate at all and you've got a way higher chance of rolling.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tc

But this thread ain't about stock IFS - it's about longtravel - and unless you've run a longtravel setup you're not really talking about the same thing.
So, you've run or have owned a LT setup to be qualified to make these statements?

Old 09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Actually, yes, Scott - my '89 was longtravel.

Also, pretty regularly 'wheel with LT TTORA guys.

Last edited by tc; 09-01-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Thank you very much for the replies. But enough with battles and arguments, I need constructive criticism and straight opinions. I know both the long travel and SAS are very similar in cost, but I cant get a straight answer, which one is better for me (a guy who will crawl a rock every once in a while, who likes to take camping expeditions, and who likes the look of both a rockcrawler and a prerunner). Maybe some type of pictures will increase the controversy in my brain?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Actually, yes, Scott - my '89 was longtravel.

Also, pretty regularly 'wheel with LT TTORA guys.
You are right. Your 2wd has every bearing on a 4wd question.........
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
How would you really know though Troy? You don't maintain Tippy at all.........................I mean seriously. I've lived in Colorado now for 2.5 years and it hasn't moved except to move it in and out of the driveway.

And, no its not the same to maintain. Not even close.
So, you've run or have owned a LT setup to be qualified to make these statements?

You are right. Your 2wd has every bearing on a 4wd question.........

Man Scott one would think that someone like you would have something better to say than just bash someone for trying to express their honest opinion on there experiences .
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by explodingchimp
Thank you very much for the replies. But enough with battles and arguments, I need constructive criticism and straight opinions. I know both the long travel and SAS are very similar in cost, but I cant get a straight answer, which one is better for me (a guy who will crawl a rock every once in a while, who likes to take camping expeditions, and who likes the look of both a rockcrawler and a prerunner). Maybe some type of pictures will increase the controversy in my brain?
You are right and I apologize.

For the record, I own an IFS rig. I now wheel an IFS rig. While its great for mild wheeling and camping and such, its not ideal in any way shape or form for rockcrawling. Even the LT setups are NOT designed to be run in the rocks. They are most definitely designed for desert type running in mind.

Having owned and wheeled several long travel and solid axled rigs, I will tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the solid axle truck will work better in the rocks and can be built to do just fine even running in the desert.

Considering that you live in Lake Tahoe and knowing that you are footsteps from the Rubicon trail, Fordyce, SlickRock Trail, etc then I would tell you to run the solid axle. Your IFS will NOT hold up to the abuse that those trails will dish out, Long Travel or not.

This is my opinion from running several different kinds of suspension, and considering what you want to run, I can only recommend the solid axle.

The other question to ask for those who do run a solid axle is whether or not they regret putting one in. I would say that 99% would not regret it. I know for a fact how often guys come to me, and tell me they regret how much money they threw at their IFS to try to make it as capable as a solid axle. It never will be.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Being that the only difference in the front end is a diff and axles, yeah, I DO think it has some bearing here...

Back on topic ... god I miss that truck. Best riding vehicle in any conditions I've ever been in
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
Man Scott one would think that someone like you would have something better to say than just bash someone for trying to express their honest opinion on there experiences .
I apologize if my frustration level with Troy's comments come through in posts.

I personally feel that if you want to give sound tech advice, that you need to have a very good grasp of the advice you are giving.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Interestingly, a similar thread was recently revived on TTORA (note: a little more "colorful" language is allowed over there)

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117199
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM

i've seen some 3/4 ton diesels desert racing with solid-axles..

now they werent in a sanctioned race..they were just out racing each other..

SAS is the way you want to go man..4in sas with some 36" irok radial's.. ARB's front and rear ( or arb front and toyota E-locker in the rear)..

nice winch..along with a strong set of bumpers..sliders..cant remember the rig..but if its a truck you might want to invest in a topper to keep your gear dry..if its a runner then nvm..lol..

make sure you can fix almost everything that could go wrong..

get a set of dirty 30's and then you wont have to worry about Birfs..
OBA would be nice..(and a must for the ARB locker..lol)..lots of tools stashed somewhere..along with some basic spare parts..

thats just my .02 cents..lol
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 PM

would it help to add that this is also my daily driver, does that change anything?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I think what would help more is clarifying what level of rock crawling you're into, your tolerance for mechanical/body damage, etc.

If you want to run Sledgehammer for example, a built SFA rig is probably what you need. If you want to be able to run the Rubicon (and are OK with bypassing the hardest obstacles), and/or you're more limited by a desire to avoid body damage, I would go with longtravel.