Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Long Travel IFS or SAS?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Long Travel IFS or SAS?

This isn't something that I am doing anytime soon, but I am in a bit of a fix. I am trying to make up my mind between a long travel IFS kit (such of those that Baja trucks have) or a Solid Axle Swap. Either way I get a lift, and I know that, but heres the thing- I am very into rock crawling, but I am also into expedition trips, like desert and forest adventures. I would just like the opinions of those who have done either of these things, and of course if you have a picture, please share it. I just want the controversy to stop in my head!!! THANK YOU
Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well the long travel IFS is friggin kewl i would love to have it but truth is, solid axles are stronger, expecially if you wanna do some rock crawling or expeditionary trips like you said. not putting ifs to shame, heck im prolly gonna keep mine....with some minor modifications
Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

LT can be plenty strong and I would argue some LT kits are stronger than doing an SAS. A built SAS compared to a built LT probably cost near the same in the end. LT is more complex too, but nothing beats two knuckles working completely independent of each other. LT even works decent in crawling too. Check out King of the Hammers competition, plenty of IFS and even a full IFS/IRS rig I heard.

IFS can take a pretty good beating and flex good. People just don't seem to wanna take the time to make it work and would rather hack apart a perfectly good system and put in 25-30 year old axles.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM

I prefer the sas purely because of the simplicity of it, less moving parts, lets parts to break, but that's just my opinion, i'm sure the ifs can be made plenty strong.

heres my 86 sas, this is not a store bought kit the axle and brackets all came off a 85. Check my sig for mods

Name:  neworleans264.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  88.7 KB
Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO longtravel IFS is the best all-around setup. Almost as much flex as a SFA, but A LOT easier to get to ride well on the street, and easier to keep the ride height (and therefore COG) down.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i want it^^^ lmao
Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM

SAS all the way. Ive done my 89 Runner already. And my 86 Runner is next...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Long travel wouldn't perform nearly as well as sas in the rocks. But it would be way sick for desert/dunes.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Long travel would be for prerunnin.

SAS if you want strength, stability, reliability and simplicity.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by explodingchimp
This isn't something that I am doing anytime soon, but I am in a bit of a fix.
a fix to me would be having no front suspension and needing something now. if you stock set up is working, wheel it like that til it breaks.

i know where u r coming from tho. this debate keeps me up at night as well.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
IMHO longtravel IFS is the best all-around setup. Almost as much flex as a SFA, but A LOT easier to get to ride well on the street, and easier to keep the ride height (and therefore COG) down.

Im with you!

And if you ever feel like jumping your truck... well have fun!

I can't wait till I can throw a TC kit in my rig!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pro IFS. If I ever have enough extra money, I wanna throw a TC LT on my truck 4runner.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I'd like to see the look on people's faces when they count up the number of parts on a SFA rig and find out they are just as, if not more, complex than an IFS rig ... owning one of each, I can GUARANTEE you the maintenance is the same, if not more, with the SFA rig and it generally takes longer too.

To be clear, yes a SFA rig CAN be built stronger than IFS, and yes, at the limit, it will flex better. But IMHO, at the point that those things make a difference, you're out on the fringe and probably just need a buggy anyways.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by tc
at the point that those things make a difference, you're out on the fringe and probably just need a buggy anyways.
the man has a point
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah i agree with tc on this one.

ive been thinking about sas or lt. Either or its going to be alot of money, work and working out the kinks in the end
Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I imagine it would be easier to find parts for a solid axle, I don't think I've ever seen a pre-95 LT IFS kit on the road, whereas I see SAS trucks daily. What I'm getting at, is that if this is your daily driver, and you break something, chances are it will be easier to find parts for the SAS vs. the LT IFS, at least in my part of the world.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM

I have been debating this too. One thing to think about is that the long travel kit sets your front wheels out a little farther and therfore you will have to add the wider fiberglass fenders from what I have read. The old Willys jeep had a suspension that offset the tracking and some used to consider this a plus. Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will cover this for you. I lean toward the long travel.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I'd like to see the look on people's faces when they count up the number of parts on a SFA rig and find out they are just as, if not more, complex than an IFS rig ... owning one of each, I can GUARANTEE you the maintenance is the same, if not more, with the SFA rig and it generally takes longer too.

To be clear, yes a SFA rig CAN be built stronger than IFS, and yes, at the limit, it will flex better. But IMHO, at the point that those things make a difference, you're out on the fringe and probably just need a buggy anyways.
How would you really know though Troy? You don't maintain Tippy at all.........................I mean seriously. I've lived in Colorado now for 2.5 years and it hasn't moved except to move it in and out of the driveway.

And, no its not the same to maintain. Not even close.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 AM

Okay i own and have wheeled both an 85 solid axle and an 86 ifs 4runner, and there is absolutely no comparison between a solid axle and ifs when it comes to rock crawling. Anyone saying that ifs can flex as well as a solid axle has no idea what they're talking about. Long travel ifs is for prerunning, were talkin river bed/dunes kinda stuff... And there is no more maintenence on a solid axle than ifs.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM
tc
Contributing Member

g cali - were both stock, modified - and how much?

Because I have 'wheeled with stock '85's and the flex ain't nothin' to write home about - the same, or possibly, even worse than stock early IFS.

But this thread ain't about stock IFS - it's about longtravel - and unless you've run a longtravel setup you're not really talking about the same thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Travel IFS or SAS?