86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intro Just Got a 1987

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro Just Got a 1987

Hello, New guy here. I've been around cars and hot rods for all my life. I have a 92 toyota truck that I think just blew a head gasket on monday at 230K miles.

I picked up an 87 on the craigslist the next day for $500 to get me back and forth to work. It needs a little love but its been great for the 3 days so far. Here ar a few questions I have for all the tech people on here.

Transmission: The shifter is mega sloppy. Is there a quick and easy bushing or something that will cure this? Should I find a better one at the junkyard.

Window: the drivers window regulator is stripped inside the door. Is this repairable? or should I again look for one in a yard.

Carb: Its running hella rich. Its getting about 13 MPG at the moment. Is there some simple carb adjustment? It is black and sooty at the tailpipe as well as rough idleing. I search and found that maybe a carb rebuild is the answer.

Thanks Everyone

Scott
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome. Post some pics if you can.

About your shifter, I think there was a thread on this a while ago. Search for "shifter bushing" or something like that. its only a day or 2 old.

There is a lot of information on this site, if you search, im sure you will find mountains of it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theres two replaceable plastic/rubber bushins you can swap out to tighten up the shiftersome. Seat n Socket is what i think people are calling them. You can get em both through marlin crawler

seat http://marlincrawler.com/transmissio...-shifter-seats

socket http://marlincrawler.com/transmissio...hifter-sockets

or you can also get em at the dealer, not to pricey. Just pull up the boot cover, then pull up the smaller boot that is ontop of the tranny. Push the metal cup (that is inside the shifter casing, and the shifter goes through) down and turn it. I forget which way. It's got a spring under it

After its out, everything comes out and is pretty easy to replace. The marlin crawler seats have notch in them, you put it in upside down then just push down on one side and it rotates around the pins and slips into place. Does a summer sault.

The regulator is replaceable, can find em cheap on ebay. I've done two.

Carb, rebuild kits are $50ish from a parts store and not to hard to do. Your float might be sticking.

gl
Old 02-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the information so far. I want to get a look at it this weekend. I have been doing some searches on carb adjustments and learned some about idle mixture and choke. I can try to post some pics of the truck tomorrow, but it is not very impressive. Just a silver 2WD (is that safe to say here?) beater. It Has a 5-speed, chrome grill and handles as well as some sweet ZZ stripes on the side so I'm guessing it was hot 223,000 miles ago!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM

i had the same problem with the window regulator, i just went down to the junkyard and got a brand new one for $30 and it was just 5 bolts to take it out so it was easy to replace.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech.

I have a driver's side window regulator sitting on a shelf that I don't need...brand new TOYOTA part. $40 shipped.

The aftermarket window regulators tend to work well for a while...but the Toyota ones will last you another 20+ years of use.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-07-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Welcome to yotatech.
My driverside was striped but I was able to fix it. It comes out pretty easily. There's a gear that gets all burred. I was able to tweak it so the gears meshed where they were still good.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM

I found an ebay auction for a Reg for $17 shipped. Thanks for all the thought tho. Im sure this regulator will out last the truck even if it is a cheepy. I like the idea of taking it out and tweaking on it tho. Plus its free. Should of tried that first.

What i really need are some tips on dialing in the carb. I didn't do anything last weekend but flip the air cleaner lid to give it some air since it was so fat. It helped some but bumped my idle up, go figure. I'm hesitant on jumping into a rebuild but I may as well.

Last edited by scottrod2; 02-10-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 AM

I bought a napa carb kit yesterday and will attempt a rebuild this weekend. I got my window regulator from some ebay parts wholesaler. That thing was JUNK. It didn't even roll up the glass without racheting the handle back and forth. It was so sloppy it kept binding. Upon inspection the Toyota one was missing 2 teeth on the big gear. I put a couple tack welds on the nubs to build them up and ground it into a new "tooth" and it works great now. Should have looked into it before buying Junk china parts. Ordered my Marlin crawler Shifter part too. That will be in next week.

New Question: The motor is Noisey! sounds kinda like a diesel. It ticks and taps, but it isn't an exhaust leak type of noise. Sometimes it is so loud I wonder if it has a slight knock, but going 55 on the highway it seems a bit quieter. I was going to check valve train/tappets for noise. Kinda reminds me of a car that is real low on oil. Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
noise: timing chain, valves, rocker shafts.
valve clearances should be .008" intake and .012" exhaust w/ engine warm
while you have the valve cover off, look down the front of the engine and make sure the guide on the distributor side of the engine is intact and there are no grooves on the cover from the chain hitting it. likely you'll need a new chain if it has a lot of miles on it.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 AM

Got the valve cover off last night and the distributor side timing chain guide is missing the front lip and is pretty much floating around in there. I tried fishing it out all the way but decided to just leave it in there. The chain seems reasonably tight tho. Any thoughts? Yea I know just change the damn thing!