86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent Ignition after Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Ignition after Seafoam

So I picked up 3 cans of Seafoam to prep my truck for a smog check coming up later this week. I ended up adding the seafoam in all three areas. The day before yesterday i added about 1/2 can to the pvc hose and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I started her up, smoke billowed for about 2 minutes after. I dumped the remaining 1/2 can into a 1/2 tank of gas and drove that till empty.

Yesterday, I did another 1/2 can through the pvc, but poured it a little faster. I let it sit for again, 5 minutes. Started her right up and smoke BIILLOWED for about 10 - 15 minutes. I drove it about 25 miles after this back to the house.

When i got home i dumped in a whole can to about 3/4 tank of 91 octane, and the last of about a 1/2 a can into the oil inlet. I plan on dumping the oil and changing after about 40 miles. After this, I started the truck up and ran it at various rpms for about 5 minutes to let the seafoam mix into the oil. I shut it off and it sat overnight till the morning. This morning i got up and went to start her up to head to work, i turn the key and ... nothing, i shut it off turn the key to start again... nothing, i shut it to off turn the key again to start... nothing. i try a fourth time and this time... vroom, it starts right up. I drive to work fine no problems, shut it off and figure i'll try to start it again just to see what happens. turn the key... nothing, turn the key again and hold it there this time for an extended period. held it for 1 second, 2, 3... still nothing, 4 seconds, 5... engine turns over and vroom starts right up. shut it off, turn the key... vroom, turn it off turn the key... vroom... started right up... very very strange.

this problem has never ever occurred before... i've been thinking to myself brainstorming on what the seafoam could have done to cause this and the only thing i can think of is that it's getting slightly hydrolocked, but even that doesn't make sense, seems that it would be hydrolocked immediately after the pvc induction, not after an overnight sit... and seems that it would run very bad if this was the case, it purrs like a kitten when running... maybe a coincedence that my starter may be going out right after the seafoam treatment? i've never run the seafoam in the oil, maybe this has something to do with it...? i'm not sure... but it does seem very very odd. if anyone has any input or ideas, or similair experiences... please let me know. Thanks Yotatech

Last edited by Blitzkrieg3002; 08-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just .02 from my end, I run seafoam in EVERYTHING! I love it and it cleans well, seems to me that the starter is going. I'm not a seasoned mechanic but I can't quite compute where seafoam would cause it not to start.......
Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg3002
... 1/2 can into a 1/2 tank of gas and drove that till empty.
... 1/2 can through the pvc... whole can to about 3/4 tank of 91 octane... 1/2 a can into the oil inlet. ...i turn the key and ... nothing, i shut it off turn the key to start again... nothing,
Originally Posted by woodyth
Just .02 from my end, I run seafoam in EVERYTHING! I love it and it cleans well, seems to me that the starter is going. I'm not a seasoned mechanic but I can't quite compute where seafoam would cause it not to start.......
Your truck overdosed - LOL! Most people only use 1/3 bottle into FULL tank, 1/3 into oil, 1/3 into PCV or vacuum booster line. Not whole bottle in 3/4 tank

Also gotta clarify whether "Nothing" means no crank (starter turning) or no ignition. Seafoam would affect ignition but not starter.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by woodyth
that's exactly what my brain is telling me as well, i cannot seem to find any way that the seafoam would cause the starter to not start... just seems very strange that i haven't had this problem at all until after the seafoam treatment. but must be a coincedence.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Tour truck overdosed - LOL! Most people only use 1/3 bottle into FULL tank, 1/3 into oil, 1/3 into PCV or vacuum booster line. Not whole bottle in 3/4 tank

Also gotta clarify whether "Nothing" means no crank (starter turning) or no ignition. Seafoam would affect ignition but not starter.
i know that on the bottle it says to only use 1/3, however i've also seen people state they put a whole bottle to a 1/4 tank... maybe they have big gas tanks haha...

but yea by Nothing, i mean no crank of the starter no noise no click, just nothing... i've read around on the forums searching starer issues, and seen some saying their lights dim when trying to start, or their clock and radio resets when trying to start... i didn't notice this, i'll double check though next startup. they were saying this could be a bad cell in the battery.

i guess it could be the starter starting to go out, i replaced it when i bought the truck, about 4 years ago. never replaced the battery though, may be something i could check.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like the electrical part of your ignition switch might be going bad. I had this problem on my 86 4Runner. I had replaced the starter because it was bad and about four months later I started getting intermitant dead spots when turning the ignition key to start my 4Runner, then one day it was just dead. I replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch and everything has been fine sense then. I did take the old ignition switch a part and the contacts were worn down to nothing.

Im not saying this is the problem with your truck, but its possible and something to check out
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM

i didn't mention that i also recently replaced the climate control fan switch, and resistor to get my heater/ac fan working again at all speeds... i had to partially tear out the dash, this was about 3 days ago... perhaps i could have disturbed some wiring or something in the process... maybe the clutch cancel button, or the configuration of the clutch being pushed in so you can start the truck got disturbed... i'll look into this as well. anyone have a similair issue with any of these parts being bad?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 AM

So... Last night I noticed a the ground wire came detached from the ground terminal to the chassi. I re attached and took the opportunity to clean the terminal posts and the clamps really good with some sand paper. Hooked everything back up, and seems like the problem is gone. I havnt been able to replicate it yet, so fingers crossed. I'm hoping it was just that bad connection. The ground had a bit of corrosion on it so I think that's what it was. Thanks for the help guys. Guess It was just a coincidence it happened after the seafoam treatment.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Glad it worked, man.
Always good to check connections, especially. Many connections to chassis are made on painted chassis and rely on contact between thread, to screw to terminal lugs (ring terminal). Often times screws get corroded.

Best to clean thread in chassis and screw, then sand off paint from chassis, & clean ring terminal so ring also makes direct contact with chassis.

I also coat all contact surfaces with conductive (carbon-loaded silicone) grease.