Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing 1" Body lift tomo, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing 1" Body lift tomo, any tips?

I went and bought the longer bolts today, and was doing some reading. I mostly found info on 2-3" BLs. My conclusion so far is with a 1" BL, I don't have to extend anything? Also, since I'm only using 1", can I still keep the fan shroud? Or do I just remove it? Lastly, I pulled out a bolt to get the right size, and I also pulled the sleeve that goes through the body & frame. The hole in my lift blocks are too small for the sleeve to fit through, do I need the sleeve to go through the blocks? Can I cut the sleeve down? What do I do in this case? Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

The sleeves only go through the body mount bushings -not the body lift blocks.
I don't know about 1st gens but i did a 1" BL on my 2nd gen and didn't need to extend anything.
See how much space there is between your fan blades and the top/center of your fan shroud...if theres more than an inch, you don't have to remove it but you might have to loosen or remove just to allow enough room for installing the BL.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just talking to a friend about body lifting his Isuzu. That has to be seriously labor intensive huh? Accessing interior area's where bolts are located, jacking on the body, etc. That's alot of work for 1".
Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the fan shroud brackets with my 4crawler BL mostly because I was anal about cooling here in the desert with 112+ degree summers. After all was said and done I could see that it really wasn't necessary (just as Roger said on his site) but oh well. The only other thing to remember is to loosen the steering shaft up top and then tighten it back down when you're done. On the 1" you should have enough extra to require no further modification. You might want to mark your original location before you start just in case you need to put it back for any reason. More likely you will want the brackets to lift your bumper to match. Otherwise it looks like a$$.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope you have been soaking your bolts down with lube

Take your time, and remove everything needed before you lift the truck up.

when lifting, loosen all body bolts but leave the opposite side's nuts still on the bolt, you dont want the body to slide off
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

I soaked them again just now with PB Blaster.... although, when I pulled the one off (driver's side rear) it came out pretty easy. I also read, you can pop the original tabbed washers off the shorter stock bolts and reuse them on the longer bolts. I couldn't find any grade 8 in the 10mm, so I grabbed 7/16's. It is a tiny bit snugger in the sleeve also.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

We swapped all the tabbed washers onto the new bolts as the instructions performance accessories sent.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RC000E
I was just talking to a friend about body lifting his Isuzu. That has to be seriously labor intensive huh? Accessing interior area's where bolts are located, jacking on the body, etc. That's alot of work for 1".
Your friend must of been smoking dope or something.
The entire procedure was one of the easiest things I've ever done.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Its not really a "hard" thing to do, just more or less time consuming and frusterating ( stuck bolts, tight areas etc.)
Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 AM

You will need to relocate the fan shroud, which is easy to do. It took me by myself about a hour and a haft to complete the lift. Just don't get your hands in a bad spot( between frame and body). The hardest part was breaking the seal between the old spacers and the body.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by treknwil
You will need to relocate the fan shroud, which is easy to do. It took me by myself about a hour and a haft to complete the lift. Just don't get your hands in a bad spot( between frame and body). The hardest part was breaking the seal between the old spacers and the body.
Thanks! I told my friend who is helping me, about you and your install. He said, he can't believe you did it by yourself in an hr and a half. Lol. We'll see how things turn out after work today. Other thing I read, was finding some brackets to lift my bumpers back up. Where can I find that? Should Home Depot, etc have some small metal braces I can trim and drill to mount my bumper onto?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Thanks! I told my friend who is helping me, about you and your install. He said, he can't believe you did it by yourself in an hr and a half. Lol. We'll see how things turn out after work today. Other thing I read, was finding some brackets to lift my bumpers back up. Where can I find that? Should Home Depot, etc have some small metal braces I can trim and drill to mount my bumper onto?
I used some large washers to hold the bumper up in it new location.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Help

Ok guys, I got it done last night, will post more info, but real quick, I didn't remove the fan shroud. There is enough room to put my index finger in between the fan and the lower shroud. Should I remove it, or leave it? I need to get to work this morning.

EDIT: Nevermind, just trimmed it instead. Will post details later.

Last edited by Djlarroc; 11-20-2007 at 07:28 AM.