86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Idle Surge Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idle Surge Issues

I am totally aware that probably the majority who have read the title were pissed because this issue has been covered. Has it been covered? The answer is yes AND no...it has been covered A LOT. The problem is there are no answers or resolutions. I have read hours of material on here that is simply a discussion of what it could be, but almost no actual resolutions. The whole idea of a forum is for people who have had similar issues and actually fixed them to chime in and help a fellow enthusiast out. I have learned so much about my vehicle on here thanks to the help of many others and I have resolved several problems through reading threads on certain issues. This issue however people seem to just throw out a million different random ideas of what it may or may not be without any clue if that would fix it. My issue is this...

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22re 205,000 miles on it that typically runs perfect with absolutely no issues. About a week ago I started to experience an idle surge when I first start my truck. It will typically idle high at first like any other Toyota and then it will start to surge after about a minute during warm up. It will continue to surge while I drive it for about 3-4 minutes and then once my truck fully warms up it will stop. I have checked the nipple next to the thermostat and that is not plugged. I have also verified that both cooling lines going to the IAC valve are clear and not plugged. It is topped of with coolant and I have burped it to ensure there is no air in the coolant causing it to become air bound. Can someone who actually resolved a similar issue or knows somone who did chime in and point me in the direction of an actual confirmed fix?
The following users liked this post:
biggmikeD (01-13-2021)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makemusic116
The problem is there are no answers or resolutions. I have read hours of material on here that is simply a discussion of what it could be, but almost no actual resolutions.
I have noticed that a lot of people never post that they fixed their problem or exactly what they did. I guess they were excited to fix it and then go back to driving.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My idle surge issue that I had for about a year was caused by the wrong throttle body gasket. Basically it was a vacuum leak.

Since fixing the vacuum leak it idles like it used to. (purrs like a kitten)

I believe that there is probably more than one specific issue that affects us all. No one fix.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by makemusic116
I am totally aware that probably the majority who have read the title were pissed because this issue has been covered. Has it been covered? The answer is yes AND no...it has been covered A LOT. The problem is there are no answers or resolutions. I have read hours of material on here that is simply a discussion of what it could be, but almost no actual resolutions. The whole idea of a forum is for people who have had similar issues and actually fixed them to chime in and help a fellow enthusiast out. I have learned so much about my vehicle on here thanks to the help of many others and I have resolved several problems through reading threads on certain issues. This issue however people seem to just throw out a million different random ideas of what it may or may not be without any clue if that would fix it. My issue is this...

I have a 1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 22re 205,000 miles on it that typically runs perfect with absolutely no issues. About a week ago I started to experience an idle surge when I first start my truck. It will typically idle high at first like any other Toyota and then it will start to surge after about a minute during warm up. It will continue to surge while I drive it for about 3-4 minutes and then once my truck fully warms up it will stop. I have checked the nipple next to the thermostat and that is not plugged. I have also verified that both cooling lines going to the IAC valve are clear and not plugged. It is topped of with coolant and I have burped it to ensure there is no air in the coolant causing it to become air bound. Can someone who actually resolved a similar issue or knows somone who did chime in and point me in the direction of an actual confirmed fix?
my truck does the same thing im in the process of tryn to find the problem i will keep everyone informed on what i run into.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR.

Solved.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 AM

Thanks guys that will give me a place to start! I already took of my throttle body and IAC valve and cleaned both with the surge still continuing. My coolant gauge works fine could that still be my issue? And as cheap as a throttle body gasket is maybe I will try that too. I appreciate you guys letting me know what actually worked!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles

Solved.
QFT.
This stands for any OBD I vehicle.
Without that sender, the computer thinks its -40 out.

I would also look into checking your vacuum lines. Or replacing them, its 15 bucks for 30 feet at schucks/oreillys.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:49 AM

The coolant temperature sensor does not send a signal to the guage.
Basically it tells the vehicle what the temperature is outside.
If that sensor is broken/worn out (Like mine was) then this is whats causing your problem.
Its like 18 bucks? From autozone and not hard to replace at all. Put a wrench on it, back the old one out, new one in, reconnect the wiring harness. Its on the front of the motor on the passenger side.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Well I think I may have found part of my issue or least a place I need to start. The back side of my radiator looks like absolute ˟˟˟˟ and I am pretty sure it is leaking. I am going to take it to work tomorrow and pressure test it to see if thats why I am losing coolant. And if it is leaking I am betting that is probably my issue. But at least I have a starting point now and I may change my coolant temp sensor too in the process.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright, my engine (22re) was having the idle surge issue a couple weeks back.

Turned out that I had a coolant leak (just a couple pin holes) in the rubber line beneath the intake. It got burnt when my block heater shorted out and made a small fire (charred marks above it tells me this).
The engine would surge because the air bubbles were travelling up to the IAC valve. Opening and closing the valve, then causing more air to get in. The amount coolant I was loosing was minute and barely noticeable, not leaving any leaks anywhere.
Fix the leak, fill 'er up with coolant, burp it and then no more idle surge.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing I am going to replace my radiator and flush the coolant and see what happens from there I will let you know.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM

yea i just picked up a coolant temp sensor 2nite getn ready to install will infrom on how it goes. and i got a used throttle body ima try after that sensor if it dont work im thinkn its the throttle postion sensor ive checked collant levels and vacum leaks

Last edited by baddest94; 02-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 PM

From what I have heard idle issues are almost never the TPS on the 22re. We have identifix at the shop I work at which is basically a diagnostic wikipedia. What is cool about it is you type in a symptom for a certain vehicle and they offer a list of confirmed fixes. The most common for idle surge is IAC valve, vacuum leaks, low coolant level or idle improperly adjusted. Not to say that it isn't possible just a helpful suggestion.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To clarify my vacuum leak issue.

I changed my throttle body and upper plenum to the '93+ on my '86 and used a spare '86 gasket that I had. Even though the throttle bodies look similar there is a big difference at the mating surface that it didn't see.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bojangles

Solved.
yes it is finially solved bojangles your the man. never would have thought that something with the coolant would have nething to do with the idle thanks for help. and everyone with this prob should try this first it cost me all of 25 dollars and thats way better than tps 95 dollars and i didnt even price the iacv. if it aint the prob your outa 25 dollars instead of alot more plus it takes all of ten mins to change
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 AM

So I've got the new radiator all installed and so far so good no surging idle this morning at all! I didn't realize just how nasty my radiator was until I tore it out.

Name:  SU1HMDAwMzMtMjAxMTAyMDctMDkwNC5qcGc.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  119.7 KB
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by baddest94
yes it is finially solved bojangles your the man. never would have thought that something with the coolant would have nething to do with the idle thanks for help. and everyone with this prob should try this first it cost me all of 25 dollars and thats way better than tps 95 dollars and i didnt even price the iacv. if it aint the prob your outa 25 dollars instead of alot more plus it takes all of ten mins to change
I try i try

Glad it solved your problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM

I have a 3.0 which is doing the same things listed in this thread. I can't even see the coolant sensor on my motor since it is *I believe* in the rear of the intake instead of the front like the 22RE. I bought my 95 about 1 1/2 months ago and I thought I would be good to go considering it 'only' has 121,000 miles. I hear people RAVE about how Toyotas run forever. This is my first Toyota ever, so I was pretty bummed once I learned that the 3.0 5spd I have only gets 14mpg(how disappointing ) I later learn that they are known to be completely gutless and if the head gaskets aren't leaking to consider yourself lucky.
The weather is pretty much brutal here right now, so hopefully by spring I will be able to somehow get at that coolant sensor without removing the engine and that will correct my up/down/up/down/up/down idle issues.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM

So...

The idle surge is back a leaky radiator was not the problem

Those of you who had coolant temp sensor issues...

Was it surging all the time or just until it warmed up?
Which sensor is it? There are two on the front of the motor side by side one with a green plug and one with a black plug they look almost identical.

Last edited by makemusic116; 02-08-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, whichever one is the ECT and not the dash gauge sender, is the one you'll want to replace.
And yes, an ect will make your engine stumble warm. Does it idle cold? Have a surging idle? An erratic idle? Etc etc? Id make sure the contacts on the ect aren't corroded, then replace it. And if that isn't it, id move onto vac. Lines..
And if all else fails, make sure your egr is opening and closing properly. If its not closing, it'll let an unmetered amount of air in your engine and the motor will think that its running lean, so it'll dump gas into the motor and over correct..

Quick Reply: Idle Surge Issues