86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to bypass ADD with a switch???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to bypass ADD with a switch???

I installed a JDM transmission (from a sold-in-japan 4runner) and it has some differences. Long story short, the shift position sensors for the tcase shifter don't engage the ADD at the right points, since the electricals are different on this tranny/tcase. I need to put in a rocker switch to manually engage it when i need it. How would I do this off the connector that plugs into the original tranny?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 PM

hi. you have the V6. Is it the 3VZ-E and if so what kind of intake do you have? thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know if you would want to do it, but I know there are writeups on disengaging the ADD all together.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

It still might help you if you want to run your switch. Just glancing at it though, it looks like positioning switch just controls the dash light and not the vaccuum switch.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There will be some ADD solenoids on either of your fenders, that lock and unlock the axle. I would wire about a dpdt (dual throw dual pole), and hard wire a switch to them, so if you push one way the add locks up and if you push the other way it unlocks. I dunno if this switch needs to be momentary or always on switch.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yota_newbie
hi. you have the V6. Is it the 3VZ-E and if so what kind of intake do you have? thanks
Wha?! I'm confused.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
I don't know if you would want to do it, but I know there are writeups on disengaging the ADD all together.

It still might help you if you want to run your switch. Just glancing at it though, it looks like positioning switch just controls the dash light and not the vaccuum switch.
hmm, aside from a shifter position sensor, how else does the ADD know to lock up though? if the sensor controls the dash light...does the dash light control the vacuum switch?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 PM

There is a relay that controls the two vacuum switches for 2wd and 4wd mode up under the dash, just above the throttle pedal. It is a SPDT relay that sends current to the 2wd VSV when off and to the 4wd VSV when energized. All you have to do is tap into the negative side of the relay coil with a toggle switch and ground it to engage the front diff. When the toggle is off, the ADD will release. A snapshot of the wiring diagram is attached showing the relay. It has five wires:
Black/orange - +12V input (2 of these)
Green/white - Coil negative (wire your toggle switch between this one and ground)
Light green - Output to 2wd VSV
Pink/greeb - Output to 4wd VSV

Hope this helps. It is currently working for me after I swapped my auto for a manual, since I didn't have the appropriate connectors for the trans.

Dan
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

would be easier to do this

Or this ( bottom of article
http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=399612

"Permanently locking the ADD unit: There are 2 hoses connected to the ADD actuator. The vacuum line on the passenger side of the actuator puts shaft into the diff and the other side removes it. I removed the vacuum tank and vacuum switches. Then I connected a single vacuum line to the passenger side of the actuator to keep it locked. Then I and caped the driver side tube. This will prevent the ADD system from unlocking. The switches can be found behind the battery on the inside right fender, the vacuum tank is in front of the front right tire under the fender. Be sure to cap the vacuum feed from the engine to the switches or remove the "T" feeding it all together. I have found that the transfer case shifts much easier without the ADD system."
Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dansatko
There is a relay that controls the two vacuum switches for 2wd and 4wd mode up under the dash, just above the throttle pedal. It is a SPDT relay that sends current to the 2wd VSV when off and to the 4wd VSV when energized. All you have to do is tap into the negative side of the relay coil with a toggle switch and ground it to engage the front diff. When the toggle is off, the ADD will release. A snapshot of the wiring diagram is attached showing the relay. It has five wires:
Black/orange - +12V input (2 of these)
Green/white - Coil negative (wire your toggle switch between this one and ground)
Light green - Output to 2wd VSV
Pink/greeb - Output to 4wd VSV

Hope this helps. It is currently working for me after I swapped my auto for a manual, since I didn't have the appropriate connectors for the trans.

Dan

that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks man!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM

hey steve

i did a swap and i want to hook a switch up like i believe you did for your add i like to go back and forth from 2wd to 4wd to play more any pics or help you or whoever can give me would be awsome thanks