YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Headlight swap:Square to Round

Been thinking about attempting this. Converting my 2nd gen pickup with square headlights to a set of round headlights. Just curious if anyone has attempted this or seen it done? I know they offer alot of upgraded lights for the round lights because of j**ps having round lights. Just wondering if it worth trying or could I get myself into a heahache?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
1986 Yota Pickup 4x4-4" shackle lift rear, 2.5" Torision lift front running 31x10.5R15. Chrome Rollbar and side steps. Acell 7mm Plug wires, K&N Air Filter, modified exhaust.Rebuild Thread dsal_86Yota build/rebuild 1986 Yota 4x4 Pickup
1986 4 Runner*SOLD*
WHEEL IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!!
dsal_86Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

4Runnin4Life@gmail.com
Someone on here started a thread on this not too long ago. If you try searching a bit I think you'll find it. Ye be warned... although we should try to encourage creativity around here you'll probably receive some negative feedback about this. A lot of 2nd gen owners pride themselves on their square headlights

I just finished BUILDING my own 4Runner because I'm too cheap to buy one... go ahead and call me crazy!

PROJECT FRANKENYOTA: Stolen and parted out. I bought the body to build my own. Then it was stolen and parted out again... so I rebuilt it again.

Datsun 240z: For when the day comes that my 4Runner is "done".

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 01-21-2012 at 11:42 AM.
XtraSlow_XtraCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Nothing wrong with round headlights, I think they look good. Just take a look at my pics, I've gotten quite a few compliment on them. I just need to upgrade them to projector housings and install a HID kit and I'll be happy.
3YLSYKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

rounds are cool, go for it!
"rv' cam
sr5 digital clock
sr5 altimeter gauges
sr5 cluster
sr5 bucket seats
4.56 gears, detroit EZ- locker
10 k miles and counting on my rebuilt motor

*****im looking to buy a used header*********** pm me!!!
nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Have you looked into Hella E-Codes or Autoplal H4 conversion headlights?

They are not round, but are an upgrade from sealed beams.

Also look into a new wiring harness for more output.

2000 Toyota 4Runner 4WD E-Locker
1995 Toyota Pickup 4WD - Build
1999 Toyota 4Runner - Sold
1998 Toyota Tacoma 4WD TRD - Sold
1986 Toyota Pickup SR5 4WD - Sold
BeMiceElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #6

There are a bunch of open beam square and round headlights for use that are projector and non projector some clear, some with black housing, some with halos all on ebay for good prices. Check them out.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to shaeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR View Post
There are a bunch of open beam square and round headlights for use that are projector and non projector some clear, some with black housing, some with halos all on ebay for good prices. Check them out.
Any 7x6 "projector" housing you're going to find is complete JUNK. If you're sticking with 7x6, either get good quality e-codes (Hella, and I've heard good about the Autopal)

And the black housings are junk- explain to me how a black reflector is going to properly put light on the road...

I picked up some of the black "projector" housings specifically to retrofit FXr Bixenon projectors into. (REAL projectors, not just a crap magnifying glass)
shaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaeff View Post
Any 7x6 "projector" housing you're going to find is complete JUNK. If you're sticking with 7x6, either get good quality e-codes (Hella, and I've heard good about the Autopal)

And the black housings are junk- explain to me how a black reflector is going to properly put light on the road...

I picked up some of the black "projector" housings specifically to retrofit FXr Bixenon projectors into. (REAL projectors, not just a crap magnifying glass)
I was stating what there is, not what to use or is best. That's another conversation. I would only use black housing with projector. If I was going to do a projector, I would modify a good housing and install a real projector into it. There are ways to get results without spending a lot of money. You don't have to have projectors with HID, depending on housings you can aim them good and get good coverage still. Hella is good, they have some replacement round lights I am going to use for hid's projectors or not. I haven't looked at all my options yet.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR View Post
Nothing wrong with round headlights, I think they look good. Just take a look at my pics, I've gotten quite a few compliment on them. I just need to upgrade them to projector housings and install a HID kit and I'll be happy.
Checked you Pics out 3YLSYKR, 4Runner looks sweet! What year grill did you use? Will have to start sourcing parts for doing it.
1986 Yota Pickup 4x4-4" shackle lift rear, 2.5" Torision lift front running 31x10.5R15. Chrome Rollbar and side steps. Acell 7mm Plug wires, K&N Air Filter, modified exhaust.Rebuild Thread dsal_86Yota build/rebuild 1986 Yota 4x4 Pickup
1986 4 Runner*SOLD*
WHEEL IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!!
dsal_86Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota View Post
Checked you Pics out 3YLSYKR, 4Runner looks sweet! What year grill did you use? Will have to start sourcing parts for doing it.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm trying to keep it a little different and nice looking. I believe it's an '82 or so grille.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2nd, 84, conversion, converting, gen, headlight, headlights, healight, jetta, pickup, projector, round, sawp, square, tacoma, toyota