Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Which Headers for a 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i see alot of people wanting to get headers on their 3.0 V6's because of the crossover issue blowing the headgasket..welllll.

instead of spending $500+ on headers...why not just get an exhaust shop to weld up a new crossover pipe that goes UNDER the tranny..BOOM instant problem solver..that should cost more than about $75 LOL

of course with you guys that are BIG with rockcrawling on your stock height IFS rigs might crush the crossover..lol...but for you guys that are on the highway alot will be just fine..or i'f you'r lifted like my '92 runner is..then you'll have all the clearance you need

just thought i would throw it out there before you guys go and spend this rather large sum of money for something that won't net you enough of a power gain to make it worth while
Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
not understanding your point here... Doug thorley headers come with a crossover pipe that goes UNDER the tranny. I did a full write up on this.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...xhaust-192629/

scroll down and look at the pictures, the shiny stuff is what came in the DT header box.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM

well idk if any gains would be made in replacing the stock crossover with one that goes under the tranny..i'll report on that whenever i get mine installed..

i see that you said you're getting better gas mileage and that the 'wow' factor is pinned at the top, and that you're feeling more power and torque..

i see some people wanting to get headers because of the hadgasket issue..why not just get a new crossover under the tranny..and save about $400?????

the 3.0 wasnt meant to be a drag racer..its like puttin a cold air intake on a 22re..just doesnt do anything but make it sound mean..LOL..makes it sound like a buff chihuahua..
Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
so you're talking about getting a crossover welded up and keeping the stock manifolds? the set up I have is a certain gain. And I wouldn't say it sounds like a buff "chihuahua" I have people here and there asking me if I swapped motors, or complimenting me on how it sounds, I even had one guy at the gas station come up to me asking me if I swapped a boxer motor in it... ( the guy had no clue what he was talking about ) lmao. the video doesn't do it justice, really. Its much louder than whats in that video, but quiet when not hard on the gas. produces a nice hum with a little throttle, and with cruise control on. I never intended my truck to be a drag racer, I strictly went for better air flow, a unique sound that everyone can notice/enjoy and for longevity of the motor.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I did the Doug Thorley THY-505's along with Magnaflow 2.5" muffler and cat last year. The headers and cat went on without a problem and I had a local shop cut and weld the muffler/tailpipe in. I LOVE the sound and while I wouldn't claim any fantastic increase in power or gas mileage there is at least some improvement in both areas. The only issue I had was the O2 sensor mounting flange was not flat and didn't seal properly. Went through 3 sensors trying to find/fix the problem!

Jim
Old 10-16-2009, 05:46 PM

go back and re-read my post on the chihuahua part..LOL

im not familiar with the 3.0 manifolds..but i know on the 4cyl manifolds that they flow just about as good as a header..(got that off of a website somewhere..think it might have been engnbldr that said that)..so i figured if the 4cyl manifolds flow pretty good..then the v6 manifolds shouldnt be much different..

i guess im on the bandwagon about "polishing a turd (the 3.0)" i've always understood that their arent many things one can do to the 3.0 to offset the amount of money you have to spend to get there..sure you could get a 3.0 to make 200hp.....for about $8000..or you could swap in a 3.4 with a supercharger for under $4000 and be WAY ahead of the 200hp mark..

with me...im not looking to get MORE power out of the 3.0...im just simply going to relocate the crossover because of the headgasket issue..

thought i would post that up for people to see instead of spending $500+ on a set of headers that will not gain some serious numbers..maybe a few horses..but not enough to offset the cost...and its a PITA to get the headers in there...or so i've heard lol

no pun intended though buddy! i love the sound of anything with headers..i had a turbo muffler and turndown put on my 22r..sounded nice with the stock manifold...got my header bolted on and welded the turbo muffler back up...WOW..sounds 10X's as mean..even have people think i've swapped motors for a small v6..lol of course these are the ricer kids who dont know their butt from a hole in the ground..