Gaskets and Seals Needed for Knock Sensor Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definetaly!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjserio
I would recommend setting the engine to TDC before removing the belt and then spin it a couple of times after reassembly to be sure that the cams stay in time.
Allow me to clarify....set it to TDC before removing the idler pulley or taking tension off of the belt. Luckily I marked my belt and the cams before the tension came off. When I put the idler back on, I realigned my marks, installed the new idler and then turned the engine by hand a few revolutions stopping each time at TDC to make sure the CAM marks lined up. That way, I knew everything stayed in time.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Note that if you make belt and cam marks, the marks on the belts will not line up after rotating the crank; the marks will travel. So after rotating, make sure the cam marks line up with the backplate marks after two rotations of the crank and crank at TDC. On many veezys, the cam marks don't line up exactly with the backplate marks; (on mine, the marked cam teeth are closer to the backplate marks than any other teeth are, when crank at TDC). So maybe best to place marks on the backplate that do line up exactly with the cam marks when at TDC before removing the upper idler.

Now I have the old design veezy that doesn't have a tensioner, but elaketiger's motor does. I've not worked with one of those, but won't that thing fully extend when you remove the upper idler, and won't you need to remove it, recompress it, and reinstall it after the upper idler is in place?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sb5walker
Note that if you make belt and cam marks, the marks on the belts will not line up after rotating the crank; the marks will travel. So after rotating, make sure the cam marks line up with the backplate marks after two rotations of the crank and crank at TDC. On many veezys, the cam marks don't line up exactly with the backplate marks; (on mine, the marked cam teeth are closer to the backplate marks than any other teeth are, when crank at TDC). So maybe best to place marks on the backplate that do line up exactly with the cam marks when at TDC before removing the upper idler.

Now I have the old design veezy that doesn't have a tensioner, but elaketiger's motor does. I've not worked with one of those, but won't that thing fully extend when you remove the upper idler, and won't you need to remove it, recompress it, and reinstall it after the upper idler is in place?
You can access the two bolts that hold the idler in place with a LONG ratchet extension from the passenger fender/front bumper area. Loosen the bolts enough to allow sufficient slack to remove/position new belt. Simply tighten them when you have everything aligned. Saves a lot of headaches~
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bookmarking.