86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gas spraying from intake chamber

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas spraying from intake chamber

94 pu 22re. when i try to start my truck, gas sprays out of the fuel pipe that goes to the top of the intake chamber. at first i thought the bolt with the hole in it was probably too lose but then i tightened it really tight (to the point where i was scared it was gonna break) and gas still sprayed. oh and my truck won't start. could it be too tight?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like your cold start injector line is leaking. Pretty simple fix, just buy a new line.

Or, figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. Could be just from missing or leaking gaskets, or a busted cold start injector.

Btw, its a banjo bolt so unless its the wrong length (ie someone changed it) then overtightening won't cause the truck not to start. The massive leak will though since there won't be adaquete fuel pressure. And I would fix it before your truck catches on fire.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Sounds like your cold start injector line is leaking. Pretty simple fix, just buy a new line.

Or, figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. Could be just from missing or leaking gaskets, or a busted cold start injector.

Btw, its a banjo bolt so unless its the wrong length (ie someone changed it) then overtightening won't cause the truck not to start. The massive leak will though since there won't be adaquete fuel pressure. And I would fix it before your truck catches on fire.
it's spraying out right where the bolt goes through. i did just remove the intake chamber and manifold so this didn't just happen outta nowhere. i'm just wondering if it would possibly be something other than just a matter of how tight the bolt is
Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Staff

There are two copper washers, one on each side. Did you put both of them back on?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
There are two copper washers, one on each side. Did you put both of them back on?
yes i did. could there be a reason why the intake chamber wouldn't allow the fuel to flow into it? cuz as tight as it is, it seems like at least most of the fuel should be flowing through. it sprays with a decent amount of pressure and kinda fountains up and over the grill onto the ground
Old 11-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Staff

No like I said, nothing is preventing it from going into the cylinder. The cold start likely isn't even opening, but that has no bearing on the leaking. Either you need new gaskets, the line split, or the injector has cracked. Something isn't right, but nothing is going to block the flow in.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you line the hole in the bolt with the hole inside the gas line? I always take a marker and mark where the hole goes through the bolt and line that up with the hole in the gas line. Usually when the bolt is really tight, it lines up exactly with the fuel line.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
If you remove a banjo bolt you "have" to replace the gaskets. (Yes, I know, some people get away with reusing the gaskets ... but since mapple83's is LEAKING I'm pretty sure that's the problem.) (The ones I buy from the dealer are aluminum. I think the copper washers are for brake lines, but DeathCougar may know better.)

Your problem isn't that the fuel is blocked, you just don't have enough pressure. This is a fuel injected system: wrong pressure=no start.

Yes, you might have a bad injector or split line, etc. But the gaskets are about $1.50 each. Which do you want to try first?

Oh, and get a torque wrench, fer cryin' out loud.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Did you line the hole in the bolt with the hole inside the gas line? I always take a marker and mark where the hole goes through the bolt and line that up with the hole in the gas line. Usually when the bolt is really tight, it lines up exactly with the fuel line.
for some reason i didn't think the holes had to be lined up because of the shape of the fuel line head. looked like it allowed for space all the way around the head. but pretty dumb of me not to try.

as for the gaskets... they seem like regular steal washers to me except that one is a little goofy shaped. but i don't see how getting new ones would change anything unless they get so minimally warped that you can't tell with the naked eye and that being enough to cause a leak.

but thanks much guys! this should be enough to fix the problem