Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas with dirt added, where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas with dirt added, where should I start?

Ok, here's what I have:

A 1987 2wd pickup with a 4cylinder, 40,000 miles (yes, that's the correct mileage!). It sat on a relative's farm for years and was rarely ran and parked under a carport so the only rust it has at all is on the bumpers. It was given to me last year with 31,000 on it and has been an awesome little truck for me so far.

Anyhow, today my son was borrowing it to drive to work while his vehicle was broke down and he ran out of gas I (gotta love teenagers!). He knocked at a nearby house to borrow a gas can and was given a can with gas in it, when he poured it in the gas came out slow. After it was all poured in he noticed the can had dirt in it. He was able to start it and drive to a gas station and put gas in it, but driving home it kept cutting out and shutting off on him so he stopped and added some fuel treatment but that didnt help. After about an hour of driving like this he finally called me and told me what was going on. I went to pick him up and took a quick look at it. It will start, idle and I can even throttle it up but trying to drive it causes it to cut out very badly.

I'm assuming I should start with a fuel filter? From searching here before posting it appears it is located on the passenger side bed rail, correct? But is there one located in/at the carb as well? I'm trying to get a much info/ideas as possible before going to check it out further because it's sitting about 40 miles away and I'm going to need to order the filter because my local auto parts store doesn't stock one

Any input/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
I'm assuming I should start with a fuel filter?
Absolutely, start with the fuel filter. The carburetor is at least being starved for fuel. And at most clogged or being hindered with fine particulates of soil inside the carburetor. If you get it home and your still having problems and if your mechanically inclined, you can remove just the top portion of the carburetor to look inside the bowl to see if dirt did make it's way past the filter.

From searching here before posting it appears it is located on the passenger side bed rail, correct?
It is on the passenger side, underneath the bed, just in front of the rear wheel. Or basically where the rear wheel well is, on the inside.

But is there one located in/at the carb as well?
Not in it's stock configuration. If there is one, it was added by a past owner as an aftermarket part. Toyota only put one fuel filter for the 22R engine.

Last edited by slow-mo; 08-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Fuel filter for the 1st gen is not on the frame it's on the engine below the EFI plenum. Look at the 2nd page of this link: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...28fuelpump.pdf
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
Absolutely, start with the fuel filter. The carburetor is at least being starved for fuel. And at most clogged with fine particulates of soil.

It is on the passenger side, underneath the bed, just in front of the rear wheel. Or basically where the rear wheel well is, on the inside.

Not in it's stock configuration. If there is one, it was added by a past owner as an aftermarket part.
Thanks. It's most definitely stock, it didn't even have a radio until I got it last year! I'll order a filter tomorrow and try that Friday when it comes in.

Should I worry about draining the tank or anything?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
Fuel filter for the 1st gen is not on the frame it's on the engine below the EFI plenum.
He said "carb" in his post.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 PM

Should I worry about draining the tank or anything?
Yes, you will need to drain the tank at some point. But to get the vehicle home, replace the filter.

The gas tank does have a drain valve plugged with a bolt with gasket at the bottom.

It's number 77100A in the parts diagram.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...8308-8808%29T1
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 PM

He said "carb" in his post.
Yes, it's carbueorated.....advance auto parts shows the fuel filter for mine looking like a small, circular part.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM

Yes, you will need to drain the tank at some point. But to get the vehicle home, replace the filter.

The gas tank does have a drain valve plugged with a bolt with gasket at the bottom.

It's number 77100A in the parts diagram.

http://www.utoyot8.com/FullImage.asp...8308-8808%29T1
Thanks for all the speedy replies. Very much appreciated!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM

advance auto parts shows the fuel filter for mine looking like a small, circular part.
Yes, that's the one. It's white-ish in color and semi-translucent. At least the OEM filter is. But now it's probably brown.

Thanks for all the speedy replies. Very much appreciated!
Your welcome.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Call me weird, but I'd start with draining the tank AND changing the filter.
No sense in putting back in what you already know is bad.
You can always do something like pour the dirtyfuel back into the tank with a coffee filter in the fill neck... and even letting the fuel sit in a Jerry can for an hour will cause sediments to settle to the bottom of the can.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Good advise there.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 AM

okay, I was able to find the fuel filter in stock at another local parts store. One more question before I head down there this evening to try swapping this out...how do the lines connect? Are they hard lines or rubber and will I need anything else like clamps, etc.?

Just want to make sure that I have everything I need along if possible because it's in sort of a rural area where it's sitting at.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Call me weird, but I'd start with draining the tank AND changing the filter.
No sense in putting back in what you already know is bad.
You can always do something like pour the dirtyfuel back into the tank with a coffee filter in the fill neck... and even letting the fuel sit in a Jerry can for an hour will cause sediments to settle to the bottom of the can.
that's a good idea. I doubt there's enough fuel in the tank to even worry with trying to salvage it he's a teenager, so I'm sure he only put $10 or so in anyhow).
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM

okay, I was able to find the fuel filter in stock at another local parts store. One more question before I head down there this evening to try swapping this out...how do the lines connect? Are they hard lines or rubber and will I need anything else like clamps, etc.?

Just want to make sure that I have everything I need along if possible because it's in sort of a rural area where it's sitting at.
The lines are just rubber hose with clamps. Unless somebody changed the clamps, they are the spring type and all you need is a pair of pliers to get them off. New clamps wouldnt be a bad idea, but I reused my originals when i changed my fuel filter.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by paintwerk
The lines are just rubber hose with clamps. Unless somebody changed the clamps, they are the spring type and all you need is a pair of pliers to get them off. New clamps wouldnt be a bad idea, but I reused my originals when i changed my fuel filter.
+1

I reused my old clamps as well. The Toyota sourced spring clamps are still better than some new ones. I never did like the worm screw hose clamps at the auto store. They cut into the rubber.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is a filter in the tank. This is for carburated motors.
Part number for a new intank filter is #77023-12050. On ebay it is called a TOYOTA FACTORY NIB FUEL FILTER SUCTION TUBE DIESEL. It was selling for $4.50 when I finally found it. I paid $15 at Toyota.

Here is where the other filter is located coming off of tank.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.