86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fixin Up the 91!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by 91exCabYota
What do you reccoend for cleaning the valve cover/block? I cleaned the valve cover today with acetone and brake clean, but it's still got some spots that are stained sort of. :
Get a "scraper" that holds single-edge razor blades for the block. Be sensible; razor blades are much harder than the block, and you can take out a divot with one. Use the holder to keep the blade at a low angle.

Do NOT use a wire brush or wire wheel on any mating surface (like the block). The wire is hard enough to gently wear away the block, ruining the seal. You can get non-woven (Scotch-Brite) pads for a die grinder or just your hand; these will work fine.

Do not use acetone on anything made of plastic. Oops, too late. The valve covers are made of plastic, and lucky for you they are one of the very few plastics resistant to acetone. Seriously; there is no mating surface on the valve covers (the gasket sits in a channel), so you just need it "clean, " not sparkling.

I hate to break it to you (though you may already know), your heads were painted by the shop. There's nothing wrong with that, and my don't they look fine! Two years later my heads still look like the paint is brand new.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the valve cover on a 22re is aluminum, mine is, thought they all were. 3veezys got plastic? I'd use some dish soap and scrubby with lots of elbow grease to get the tough stuff out. If you have any flat brass around, that makes the best scraper.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I used a gasket scraper, acetone, and blue scotch brite pads to get the gasket residue off. Though i can still see little marks, the same design as the gasket surface. Its smooth, it just seems to be stained. And i respectfully disagree, the valve cover is not made of plastic, it is aluminum. I am aware that it does not need to clean, i needed to clean it so it could be painted. And yes, i am also aware that it is painted. Again, no disrespect (: Hopefully my block surface is clean enough. I ordered my 4 piece front end kit from ted at engnbldr, along with a set of new head bolts. Will be making a trip to the dealership tomorrow morning for some parts.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 91exCabYota
New valves, guides, ....... new cam bearings..........
What did they charge you for this? Reason I ask is that we don't have any cam bearings that I recall. Our cams are held in with the cam caps, and from my best recollection when researching was that they are pretty much mated to the head so you need to make sure you have the originals. Hopefully they just polished the originals if I'm correct.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 825 Likes on 652 Posts
Originally Posted by combatcarl
I think the valve cover on a 22re is aluminum, ...
My mistake. They are plastic (or some other composite material) on the 3VZE.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 PM

My bad Grego, I assumed that it had bearings...but I stand corrected. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Oh and can anyone offer any insight into my issue: After my engine I need to do a front input shaft bearing in my tranny. Is that do-able with the tranny still in the truck, or will I have to pull the tranny to do it? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Picked up a new set of Ngk R spark plugs today.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Injectors rebuilt by local redding injection, they look great. Picked up my parts at the stealership, got a new breather hose, rear main seal, exhaust studs, flywheel bolts, and a Head gasket. Ups should drop off my engnbldr front end kit and head bolts too. Will get back on the project tonight or tomorrow depending on the weather. Thanks have a good night!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Timing set from engnbldr came, And pulled off my timing cover on friday. Really glad I did, because the grooves on the old cover were a good 1/4 inch deep. There was barely a drivers side guide left and about half of a passenger guide. Probably will replace the components tomorrow, but I'm still a bit unsure about getting the timing correct when I re-assemble it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM

Sorry I haven't posted In a while, been really busy. So before I put my engine back together I'm doing the transmission work. Tranny is resting on stands right now, just need to remove the starter and the tranny bolts and she's out! Anyways while dropping the rear shaft I discovered a shot center support bearing, so I'll be replacing that aswell. Had my radiator cleaned and repaired too! I'll be sure to post some pics soon, thanks all!

-Sam
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 PM

looks like youeve came a long way, i just recently shook hands on an 82 shortbed so ill be at your phase before ya know it, gotta keep miles low on my 86 sr5 lookin good! or sounding good anyways! pics!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, great read and GREAT WORK, MAN!

Input shaft trans bearing is bad? I thought only the "Trans input shaft bearing retainer seal and gasket" came up.... That's where mine leaked, BAD! The knob before me had put it in backwards! I got the gasket and new input shaft seal from toyota for like 28$ total for both... Stopped that leak I'd had for around 100K miles dead in it's tracks! lol.

I just pulled the motor and found that easier to do the clutch/head install on stand along with timing kit, etc., AC brace, etc., etc., etc., ...... haha... Then just did the Trans input shaft seal while sitting right in it's place. Sprayed it all off and it's spotless....kinda, now! haha.

Best wishes on the rest