Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust stinks badly - I need education

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust stinks badly - I need education

Okay, I need your help since I havent a clue. I have learned all my mechanical abilities from the members here. I just fixed my leaking 3rd member and alternator so I am feeling pretty good with what I learned here.

So, hello my 4Runner family. Once again, I have no idea. Please point me to the direction. I dont know what to search for. I have tried for an hour now.

My truck is 118K miles, 4X4, V6, original stock everything. I have replace distributor cap and wires, spark plugs, both O2 sensors to tune up the truck. I was hoping to solve the stink, but i did not.

My truck exhaust is overwhelmingly foul smelling. It does NOT smell like rotten eggs, just bad smelling exhaust. I cant even roll down the windows cause it is over powering...especially the back roll down window. It is really bad when I first start it.

That said, the truck runs fine. I live in California. I pass smog every two years without problems. What do I need to do or change? Ideas?

Many thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your sure it does not smell like a nasty fart or rotton eggs? Usually that smell is a bad cat. Any smoke? Sure its your truck and not your garbage? Using coolant? Any codes? Check engine light? check for vac leaks everywhere.... exhaust leaks? What kind of o2 sensors did you buy? Any driveability probs....
Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

no smoke coming out of exhaust, well at first, but it eventually goes away within minutes. Smoke is white not black.

Using coolant? I use coolant...I dont understand this question. I thought coolant was required...why do u ask?

No codes, no engine light. I need to learn how to look for vacuum and exhaust leaks. I bought the good O2s that I can recall, not the cheap stuff....now, Im going to search vacuum and exhaust leaks - how to find them...thanks.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
running rich? hows your mpg's? You repaired the leaky rear 3rd....sure it isnt just some excess gear oil burning?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 AM

maybe bad egr system,white smoke is normal in every vehicle when you run the engine mostly in the morning or cold places,condensation is normal in exhaust.
check the water droplets that came out of the exhaust green or with traces of oil means a hg problem or valve guide problem,make a cylinder leak test or whole system leak test is better, just make a cap for the t bodie entrance and valve cover hoses and choose a big vacum line put some compressed air in by the hose and check for air escaping from the engine and finally from the exhaust it must be no leak at all in the exhaust.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Holy Crap, I thought it was easy to diagnose. I have learned so much just from the replies.

I dont add coolant at all. The level does not change. My mileage sucks, but I cant really tell since I use it just to drive around town. As for the oil, it doesnt at all look milky. Looks normal especially during last oil change. I had the leak during the last oil change. The head gasket was replaced by local dealership during the campaign, but you know, I do add a quart of oil between 3K mile oil changes. When I pulled the old plugs to change em, they were all dry. The drippings from the exhaust is clear fluid not green and no oil. I will have to learn how to do a leak down test. I have an air compressor and compression test kit I purchased...just need to learn how to use it. Any chance it could be a bad muffler? thanks for the education. It does not seem simple to fix, but good project to learn.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Maybe you just need to take it for a good run, just driving around town will eventually stuff your motor. I would maybe think of taking it for a half hour drive up the highway and see if it blows all the rubbish out.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've mentioned that you're having to add oil. This could be due to an issue with the PCV system causing the engine to draw oil into the intake and burn it that way, or could be worn rings. The PCV valve and hoses aren't that expensive so maybe try replacing those if they haven't been serviced. Next would be to have a compression test done and see how the cylinders read. If they're on the low side, this could cause poor mileage and the blow by, though not enough to fail your emissions tests, could cause a rather noxious stench similar to running rich.

You may also try running a thicker weight oil. Since you're in L.A., you can get by easily with either a 10w40, 15w40, 15w50 and even a 20w50 for an oil change in order to help determine if the oil consumption drops and the smell subsides. However, if it's dropping below freezing, avoid the 20w50 oil.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
ET

go buy some seafoam from an auto parts store and run it through the system. if you have leaks the smoke from the seafoam will come out of them. should clean it out too. for 9 bucks and about 10 minutes its worth a shot.