86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveline Vibration driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
Well I think it is my trans. If I go 90km/h in 5th I get the woow woow woow. If I drop it to 4th going the same speed it is gone. That to me says that it is the trans (probebly input bearing). Any thoughts??
Any luck getting this fixed. Mine has 133K on it. Once I go to 5th a high speed rotational vibration is felt in the seat. More so under load. It still vibrates coasting but not as bad. I believe it is the U joints. All of the harmonics of the drive train align and make the vibration more noticeable at that speed. I did the wiggle and shake test and lubed them. No change at all. I know the wiggle test is not 100%. Due to the age and mileage and prior maintenace by PO I'm sure the U joints are due for a change.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The best way to check the u-joints is to pull the driveline down and rotate the joint around feeling for stiffness and roughness of movement. Might just have to break down and do that, Alan. I know.......what fun, eh? You probably know this, but if the needle bearings are toast, no amount of grease will make them float smooth again.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Ya it was the trans. I swapped it out and all good. Input bearing was getting sloppy.
Yours sounds like something else though because if I let off the throttle or coast it would stop. Only vibrate under light load at highway speed.

Check your cross-member mount. I had a 4runner that would get a vibration like you describe and it was the rubber in the mount had pulled away from the steel.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by thook
The best way to check the u-joints is to pull the driveline down and rotate the joint around feeling for stiffness and roughness of movement. Might just have to break down and do that, Alan. I know.......what fun, eh? You probably know this, but if the needle bearings are toast, no amount of grease will make them float smooth again.
Yeah, I had a few minutes at work today I decided to check the u joints just to make sure they weren't fixin' to explode. I'll break it down and check them out. I hate changing U joints. I usually loose my religion. HAHA

Originally Posted by Flash319
Ya it was the trans. I swapped it out and all good. Input bearing was getting sloppy.
Yours sounds like something else though because if I let off the throttle or coast it would stop. Only vibrate under light load at highway speed.

Check your cross-member mount. I had a 4runner that would get a vibration like you describe and it was the rubber in the mount had pulled away from the steel.
I hope your right. I much rather change U joints than and tranny. Which reminds me. When I first roll in the morning it feels like the clutch is jittery when engaging. But fine the rest of the time.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does this mean if you had no religion you'd have nothing to lose? Bahahaha!....

........okay, bad joke.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Does this mean if you had no religion you'd have nothing to lose? Bahahaha!....

........okay, bad joke.

OK pulled the drive shaft and checked the U joints. Everything is tight and smooth. The drive shaft looks to be in phase. Over the years during maintenance someone marked the drive shaft to flange with a punch mark and all is still lined up. I want to drain and refill the tranny and xfer case. BTW I installed locking hubs on the front about a month ago so I can disengage the front. So that won't be a factor.