86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driveline Vibration driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline Vibration driving me crazy!!!

So my extra-cab with the 2 piece rear shaft is driving me crazy. Good and smooth until I get into 5th gear and about 85 km/h then I get a looping vibration, wooow........woooow.......wooow. Nice eh

I put a new hanger bearing in last year when the driveline was on a different truck. I have moved that drivline (both shafts and hanger bearing) to my current truck.

I checked the bolt in the hanger bearing and both yoke bolts. I have also tried changing the rear shaft with the CV joint to another one that I have. No luck. I am starting to wonder if it is the trans but I have never had this happen to a manual before if it is the trans. Anyone with this same experience?

The vibration stops when I let off the gas. Then when I give it gas it comes back. Anyone have any other troubleshooting I should try? I was thinking maybe drop the shafts and run the trans through to 5th and see if the vibration is there with no driveshaft??? HELP!!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Are the driveshafts in phase? (I think thats what it's called). Maybe you lost a weight balance......? Take it a driveline shop and have it re-balanced.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM

All the "knuckles" are lined up. I believe that is in phase.....
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Are the driveshafts in phase? (I think thats what it's called). Maybe you lost a weight balance......? Take it a driveline shop and have it re-balanced.
x2. You could have thrown a weight or it may have a ding in it.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a vibration too. I think its the rear u-joint. I'm replacing it tonight. hope it fixes it cuz its REALLY fricken annoying. Its from like 25-60mph and worst at about 47. its not a woow....woow....woow like you describe (which i though was a pretty damn good description btw). Its more of a solid shaking through the drive line. Its still there when I let off but it is worse when accelerating.

Last edited by toylocost; 03-18-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
maybe you have a loose muffler bearing

X's 2 on the U-joint possibly

the "drive shaft jiggle-test" isn't always accurate; they can feel solid, but still be bad
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
maybe you have a loose muffler bearing

X's 2 on the U-joint possibly

the "drive shaft jiggle-test" isn't always accurate; they can feel solid, but still be bad
Ya I know how well that "test" works. Been down that road before

I have replaced the rear joint and the very front one. I also changed the whole rear shaft with another one. I read on another thread that someone had a ring and pinion cause a bad vibration?? I have never heard of this before but maybe?

I am pretty sure it is not a U-joint because it is so torque sensitive. The moment I unload the drivetrain the shake is gone. Then as soon as I start, even lightly, back into it is starts the vibration again. I have also changed the tires to known good ones to eliminate that.

I think I may pull the rear shafts and go for a drive on the front end only. This will eliminate the trans. I am going to change that rear shaft one more time as I think the weight on the one I have on there is coming off. It is a heavy vibration so I don't think it is a weight related problem.

How would I check the ring and pinion?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission mount. I'm about to replcae mine.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

or, pinion bearing at rear diff? but youd prbably be leaking fluid there too, cause the seal would more than likely go if the pinoin's vibrating around...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
dudes! I just replaced my rear u-joint. Took three hours lol. Had to cut the old one out (probly the original). But anyways It's sooooooooo smoooooth now! (twss) Gawd I cant wait to drive to school tmrw! You dont hear me say that too often.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM

i have a vibration that comes at highway speeds.
isnt some part of the IFS always in motion even when not engaged?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
i have a vibration that comes at highway speeds.
isnt some part of the IFS always in motion even when not engaged?
ummmm, if you have ADD hubs, or a malfunctioning Manual hub like I did
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM

they are whatever is stock.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 AM

Well I may have to brake down and buy a single shaft. I just hate to do that if it is not going to solve my problem but I can't find anything wrong with the shafts and joints. It is a harsh vibration so you would think that it would be easy to find...............

The transfer case mount is brand new. That was the first thing I changed because it was falling apart.

Last edited by Flash319; 03-19-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Well I think it is my trans. If I go 90km/h in 5th I get the woow woow woow. If I drop it to 4th going the same speed it is gone. That to me says that it is the trans (probebly input bearing). Any thoughts??
Old 03-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flash319
Well I think it is my trans. If I go 90km/h in 5th I get the woow woow woow. If I drop it to 4th going the same speed it is gone. That to me says that it is the trans (probebly input bearing). Any thoughts??
hmmmm, could be motor noise too then if you drop down a gear and your RPMs change and the sound goes away...

maybe not be a bad thing though, could just be a tone the motor makes at a certain RPM; after my header and exhaust, my 22re's loud at 2500 RPMs, eveywhere else is relitively quite

but, if it feels and sounds like it's reverberating throughout the whole truck, then the trans could be the issue.

have you looked at the fluid yet for any metal shaving or anything?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
hmmmm, could be motor noise too then if you drop down a gear and your RPMs change and the sound goes away...

maybe not be a bad thing though, could just be a tone the motor makes at a certain RPM; after my header and exhaust, my 22re's loud at 2500 RPMs, eveywhere else is relitively quite

but, if it feels and sounds like it's reverberating throughout the whole truck, then the trans could be the issue.

have you looked at the fluid yet for any metal shaving or anything?
No its bad. Not just a normal vibration. Whole truck is vibrating. I am going to swap the trans and see if that fixes it. I just need to get a VSS for the gear case that is with the trans. A good upgrade anyway....
Old 04-11-2009, 08:00 AM

Just new to this, Did you ever find your vibration? I have an 89 yota DLX pickup with the same problem.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might want to check the drive shaft alignment. Since it was mentioned the vibrations lessen when off the gas, that could mean the pinion on the rear axle is tipping up too high under load and causing the vibration. Letting off the gas allows the pinion to drop back down and that will cause the vibrations to drop as well:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#FAQ1
Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 AM

i get a nice vibration going 100km/h on the hwy too. probably caused by the wheel weight that fell off and when i painted the driveshaft.

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration driving me crazy!!!