86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cv axle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cv axle issue

SO, about a month ago I broke a chunk off my cv.. which caused popping and binding on occasion.. i bought new axles, but they havent arrived yet. Last night, the passenger side cv axle bearing carrier let go completely, so this morning i ripped off both axles, and bolted everything else back up.
i promise-- THIS IS TEMPORARY!! the new axles should be here within a week.
But, I want to know for sure that my wheels are not going to fall off!!
I didnt tear down everything, mostly because I did not have a 54mm socket, but it looks to me that it will be ok to drive.. So, I DO have the 54mm nut in place, and of course the caliper holding everything together.

Any advice? Just want to make sure my temporary fix isnt going to cause problems.
Attached Thumbnails cv axle issue-axles.jpg   cv axle issue-backside.jpg  
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You're allright I guess. Barring any accidents involving the tape coming off during a heavy downpour and letting water in there. Then you'll wish you'd done what I did and bought some rubber plugs to hammer in there real tight. Worked good for me for a couple months this summer. Found some that fit snug in those holes at the hardware store for a few $. You may wanna look into that, your call.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:48 PM

so youve been driving with your front cv axles removed for 2 months+ ??

sounds good. I feel fine about driving it like that now.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, I did. I put my axles back in there last month though. But it worked fine like that in the mean time with the rubber stoppers in there. I didn't go swimming with the thing or anything like that, it did keep the moisture from driving in the rain out.

You just don't want no dirt or water getting in there and fouling up your hubs, or wheel bearings especially. Other than that it can't harm nothin' driving it like that for awhile.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM

good luck!! i wouldn't.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 PM

So 3 months ago I ordered replacement axles- new, with 7 year, 70,000mile axles from alloemcarparts.com... And I got 2 that were too long, and i moved, and 2 weeks passed since they sent the axles when i called, so they told me I was "out of luck" since I was past their 14 day return period...

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ALLOEMCARPARTS !!!

Luckily, their supplier, CV Unlimited, left a phone number on the invoice...
I called them, and after talking with their tech department, shipping department, supervisors, and finally the owner... they agreed to exchange my axles for the parts they should have sent me in the first place...

I got one new, one rebuilt, which was when i found out you want the rebuilds, not THEIR new design because the rebuilds have a grease cap at the diff end as opposed to being sealed, which makes it so you can change them without taking off either the a-arms or the diff, not to mention, theyre actually toyota parts... so i sent those axles back again, after a week of phone calls, and i paid shipping this time.

A month after that, I find out they sent axles to the wrong address (they had it right twice already-wtf?!) so they sent me a new set... of one new, and one rebuild....
I'd really like my damn truck put back together, but tomorrow i will be sending ONE axle back.. with a picture and description of what they should be sending in return, so hopefully they get it right...

this sucks.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM

by the way, the truck has done fine driving without front axles. my bearings have been repacked twice so far, and they look good.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shouldnt you keep the stubb axle (the wheel side) bolted in there? I was under the impression that is what kept the bearings stable in the hub? If i were you i would at a min put back in the stubs and bolt them up
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM

what a show
sorry to hear about all the trouble you have had with the company.
good luck with the new ones when you get them
Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hross14
shouldnt you keep the stubb axle (the wheel side) bolted in there? I was under the impression that is what kept the bearings stable in the hub? If i were you i would at a min put back in the stubs and bolt them up
The 86-95 IFS are like full floaters and are fine without the axle in. Like others said you just have to keep dirt and water out of there.

I believe the next generation of IFS, you are supposed to leave the stub axle in as they are not full floaters, but I'm not certain on that.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM

The bearings go over the spindle and the back of the spindle has a larger flange on it that the bearings bottom out on. The front has the nut that holds them on. The axle just goes to the front hub plate, and has nothing to do with weight/bearings.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 AM

Learn something new all the time--i was thinking about my 3rd gen.

not to hijack--but who has ordered axles from CV unlimited? Also, because of the questionable quality of Autozone and other such parts houses--what local stores carry quality parts? O'Reilly, Napa......
Old 03-18-2008, 05:55 PM

I've always had good luck with parts and service from RockAuto.com But I suppose you are always safe to go to the dealership provided you want to shell out the dough for their parts. OEM is always best...but RockAuto's stock seems to be holding up just fine over the years in my various rigs.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 AM

was just thinking of something local so if i need to exchange them it is not a problem. Dealership just means crazy prices---just wish there was a local parts house that had quality stuff. O'Reilly out here in Austin has some quality parts (MOOG....etc..) but thier Axles are/is their house brand. So i dont know what i wold be getting. Its more important for me because i am running 35's on IFS!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 AM

Most people I've heard on the subject say lifetime warranty Autozone cv's work fine. Go to a junkyard & pick up a spare set & get two new cv sets instead of just one, that way you have brand new cv's as spares & easy exchange for busted ones nearly anywhere U.S.A.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Learn something new all the time--i was thinking about my 3rd gen.

not to hijack--but who has ordered axles from CV unlimited? Also, because of the questionable quality of Autozone and other such parts houses--what local stores carry quality parts? O'Reilly, Napa......
I was thinking about my 3rd gen.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 AM

JUST an FYI--NAPA has some really nice axles (if you can get them) for a pretty good price

ATM--ALTROM--sources their axles from the OEM manufacturer but cant put the OEM name on the box--

NMB--they are a very nice axle also, have a softer boot and look like a nice quality axle. But if you buy a pair--have them check the axles first to make sure the dust sheild is not bent. Looks like packaging is an issue with those axles.

They both run about $114 a piece--but they are nice
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM

cv unlimited was about 180 or 190 for the pair- i dont remember exactly, it was a long time ago.
BUT, if you add in the $80 bill I just got from them for all the back and forth shipping, I definitely didnt save anything.. those aszholes.

Last edited by captain; 03-24-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

I do alot of mail ordering--but sometimes it nice to walk into the store and say--they need to be warrantied.

"But know you know, and knowing is half the battle"--G.I. Joe........