Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CRAIGSLIST is GREAT! traded 91 4runner for a 92 Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Nevermind, nice truck, haha. I would've gone with a Runner though.

Last edited by CodyX36; 05-26-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree with those saying karma. what goes around comes around. just my opinion.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
All of you saying Karma....I wonder if you got an extra $1 back in change, would you return it? Why not, its still the same concept with a different money amount? Where is the line drawn where its ok and not ok?

I bought an 85 MR2 off CL for $100, and to the right person, it was likely worth more. I offered, he took my offer. I didn't force anything on anyone, I just happened upon a good deal. Who knows if he had sellers remorse later on, but its not for me to decide. We decided on a deal, shook hands, and took care of business. Perhaps the 4Runner served a greater value to the kid than his truck did? Say he has family members to haul? At that point, the trucks monetary value is pointless, and practical value comes into play. Besides, not all trades are fair. Does everyone in this thread think they are traded a fair monetary sum for the work they provide for their company? I would venture to guess not.

The kid didn't do his research as to what his truck was worth, and that is no ones problem but the seller. If Marty hadn't traded, someone else would have. I wouldn't give his truck back either if I was him, given that two parties agreed on a trade, and the deal was made. Marty could have gone about telling us about the truck in a much less douchbag way, but we should get the point nonetheless.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe if I were in Marty's situation, I'd take the 4runner back and with the $1200 fix it up some. I prefer 4runners over pickups though, my previous replies in this thread are somewhat based off of that, but that is just my opinion.

Definitely two sides to this, it'd be very nice of him to let the kid back out of the trade... but then again, stupid hurts.

Last edited by az4x4runner; 05-26-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seeing as the kid approached you (right?) about the trade (by listing it on CL), I don't think you're obligated to give it back. I'll reserve judgement whether it would be the right thing to do to keep the car, but I'd encourage you to consider his competency in weighing the benefits of the trade before you make your decision. I guess it boils down to how are you going to feel if you keep the truck, clearly you got a much better deal than he did.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

once again well said DC...
it is a nice truck keep it and enjoy it
Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 AM

Yeah, keep it and enjoy it. To the kid, it was prolly still a good trade. Maybe he got tired of the truck and wanted a new project, and money wasn't an issue. Whatever the case, I wouldn't feel guilty about anything.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck! Great score on the trade there.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's buyers, or traders remorse. Everyone here has done it. Had that prize in your eyes, bought it, didn't want it immediately, and get stuck with it. It happens. The kid approached you about the trade, not vice versa. It was a legit trade, nothing shady about it. Karma is overrated and crap happens- live and hopefully learn. Hopefully he learned.

On the flip side, $1200 would go a long way on your t4r!

Last edited by vasinvictor; 05-27-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
All of you saying Karma....I wonder if you got an extra $1 back in change, would you return it? Why not, its still the same concept with a different money amount? Where is the line drawn where its ok and not ok?

I bought an 85 MR2 off CL for $100, and to the right person, it was likely worth more. I offered, he took my offer. I didn't force anything on anyone, I just happened upon a good deal. Who knows if he had sellers remorse later on, but its not for me to decide. We decided on a deal, shook hands, and took care of business. Perhaps the 4Runner served a greater value to the kid than his truck did? Say he has family members to haul? At that point, the trucks monetary value is pointless, and practical value comes into play. Besides, not all trades are fair. Does everyone in this thread think they are traded a fair monetary sum for the work they provide for their company? I would venture to guess not.

The kid didn't do his research as to what his truck was worth, and that is no ones problem but the seller. If Marty hadn't traded, someone else would have. I wouldn't give his truck back either if I was him, given that two parties agreed on a trade, and the deal was made. Marty could have gone about telling us about the truck in a much less douchbag way, but we should get the point nonetheless.
very well said...exactly what i was thinking
Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 AM

how old was the kid?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM

sweet pick up but harsh trade for that kid.

CL is awesome, i bought my 1st gen on there for only $1700
with not a dent or scratch, or rip or tear in the seats and i couldn't be happier
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Nice trade, lucky for you. Hopefully his truck does not have any surprises that he was hiding from you.

But the age of this "kid" makes a huge difference. < 18 vs. >=18. Also hopefully it was his name on the title and not his parents. If he is under 18 then a small claims court will make you return his truck (or the value of the truck) since he is not of legal age to enter into a contract. Never make deals with "kids" or minors.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fedden
sweet pick up but harsh trade for that kid.

CL is awesome, i bought my 1st gen on there for only $1700
with not a dent or scratch, or rip or tear in the seats and i couldn't be happier
Seems like CL up here is not very popular for selling trucks, usually the only 'yota trucks I see are scams or them newer, less-fun, models. Like this one S5R Taco that's for sale somewhere around here, mid 00's, about 100k miles, looks immaculate, and the seller is asking for $2900. It's either a scam, or there is something seriously wrong with the truck, considering similar ones go for way, way, way, way more on Kijiji.

I like Kijiji, which is pretty similar to CL, in fact, I just made an offer on this truck: http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ204960812

I told him I'd give him $2k immediately if it is road legal and doesn't require any major work to get plated and insured. Here's to hoping he bites, I need another vehicle that I can DD and play with until my 2wd is back together and ready to be a DD. I know it's a bit low (admittedly, if it needs 0 work to get plated and insured I'd probably pay what he's asking), but if he replies with a reasonable counter-offer and the info I've requested then the hagglin' will begin!

I found my 2wd on Kijiji too, though admittedly the OP could've been a little more detailed about "needs parking brake to pass safety" when he was selling it. Still stuck in the middle of the brake job from hell, but I can't really complain, I got a clean title, good cab, frame, and motor and tranny for $350, the rest is a learning experience! Well that, and I do feel like I got the better end of the bargain, $350 is practically the scrap value and so many people out there are selling trucks in much worse shape for the same price or even more.

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-27-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Seems like CL up here is not very popular for selling trucks, usually the only 'yota trucks I see are scams or them newer, less-fun, models. Like this one S5R Taco that's for sale somewhere around here, mid 00's, about 100k miles, looks immaculate, and the seller is asking for $2900. It's either a scam, or there is something seriously wrong with the truck, considering similar ones go for way, way, way, way more on Kijiji.

I like Kijiji, which is pretty similar to CL, in fact, I just made an offer on this truck: http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ204960812

I told him I'd give him $2k immediately if it is road legal and doesn't require any major work to get plated and insured. Here's to hoping he bites, I need another vehicle that I can DD and play with until my 2wd is back together and ready to be a DD.

I found my 2wd on Kijiji too, though admitted the OP could've been a little more detailed about "needs parking brake to pass safety" when he was selling it. Still stuck in the middle of the brake job from hell, but I can't really complain, I got a clean title, good cab, frame, and motor and tranny for $350, the rest is a learning experience!

Dang, if your interested my neighbor has a 79' Toyota single cab pick up, super clean! and he only wants $2000, it would be a steal!
but im down here in orange ca
i was going to get it but i got my 4runner instead
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The plot thickens:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1773933710.html