Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bj Spacers And T-bar Crank!!?? Please Look!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Torsion bar or spacer lift will add height to fit larger tires at rest. However, assuming you can still compress the suspension to the bump stops (i.e. have not cranked it up so high as to limit up travel) then yes, a larger tire may rub because it is bigger and the wheel well is the same size and position as stock. A mild body lift can help in those situations as can fender trimming:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10
Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Torsion bar or spacer lift will add height to fit larger tires at rest. However, assuming you can still compress the suspension to the bump stops (i.e. have not cranked it up so high as to limit up travel) then yes, a larger tire may rub because it is bigger and the wheel well is the same size and position as stock. A mild body lift can help in those situations as can fender trimming:
Glad you finally chimed in. Thought you fell off the planet.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
its just one of my biggest toyota pet peives when i hear people saying they create room for larger tires... they dont... they do allow use of a larger tire that would rub without the lift, but the rubbing issue is still there just not noticed until your on the trail, or hit a speed bump while turning...
huh. kinda contradicting yourself there. first hand experience. without BJ spacers my 32s rub like crazy when my suspension was compressed say, backing out of a drive way while turning and stuff like that. now i have not rubbed once even at full lock and going into a driveway or something like that.

so that must mean that i was able to run a bigger tire without the rubbing issues.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by celica
with the BJ you do get better flex - in one direction, you will get better flex in both directions if you adjust your Tbars.

Originally Posted by AH64ID
How is this? Unless you have your tbars so stiff you could support the HULK and not drop your front end your tbars are not what limits travel, its bumpstops that limit travel...

the Tbars mount to the upper control arm, the lower control arm simply follows the path of the upper. so when the BJ spacer are first put in they spread the arms, since you still have the same tension on the upper arm all of the spread will be applied to the lower arm. hence better upward travel, but still the same downward travel. Now if you relax the torsion on the bars then the upper control arm will have more space between the bumpstop & the control arm (due to the weight of the truck pushing down) this improved distance between bumstop & control arm will give you more downword travel (at the expense of upward travel). So to get more travel than the extra that the spread of control arms with the BJ spacers gave you, them you would need lower bumpstops - but you may be killing your CV angles then.

Last edited by celica; 11-27-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler

Yeah, street queen vs offroad rig....

Originally Posted by curly_c
huh. kinda contradicting yourself there. first hand experience. without BJ spacers my 32s rub like crazy when my suspension was compressed say, backing out of a drive way while turning and stuff like that. now i have not rubbed once even at full lock and going into a driveway or something like that.

so that must mean that i was able to run a bigger tire without the rubbing issues.
Not really... since you have an increased stance during street driving you could get away with a tire that would rub at stock height, like your 32's. But if you were to drive somewhere other than the street or your driveway, like a trail or even FS roads, you would experiance rubbing in the same manner as before. You suspenion cycles the same as it did before, just 1.5" lower on the droop side, otheriwse its a stock cycle.... Its a smoke and mirrors game...

with the BJ you do get better flex - in one direction, you will get better flex in both directions if you adjust your Tbars.

the Tbars mount to the upper control arm, the lower control arm simply follows the path of the upper. so when the BJ spacer are first put in they spread the arms, since you still have the same tension on the upper arm all of the spread will be applied to the lower arm. hence better upward travel, but still the same downward travel. Now if you relax the torsion on the bars then the upper control arm will have more space between the bumpstop & the control arm (due to the weight of the truck pushing down) this improved distance between bumstop & control arm will give you more downword travel (at the expense of upward travel). So to get more travel than the extra that the spread of control arms with the BJ spacers gave you, them you would need lower bumpstops - but you may be killing your CV angles then.
Oh.. your talking about the ratio of upward to downword travel, not increasing overall travel, since when you add lowpro bumpstops you loose tire clearance....
Old 11-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

This thread is starting to look like it should be on Mud. The debate goes on......