Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bj Spacers And T-bar Crank!!?? Please Look!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bj Spacers And T-bar Crank!!?? Please Look!!

Hey everyone...On my 89 runner I have allready cranked the t bars 1.5"...The total distace from top of rim to wheel well is 15" just like most of you run...I just purchased 4 crawlers bj spacers and diff drop and I put the diff drop spacers in this weekend and it didnt seem to do much as the boot ribbes on the cv's still seem to be at the same angle as they were before...

Now on his site he says you can use his bj spacers with a + or - 1.5" t-bar crank....Im at the point that Im not sure this would be a good idea to put the 1.5" bj spacers on with my cv's looking the way they do...So since Im sure many people have done this, please give me some thoughts b4 I put these on tonight....thanks!!!

Last edited by 99lspwr; 11-20-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think your instinct is right. The BJ spacers work best by using them to lift instead of using your T-bars to lift. That way the T-bars can be adjusted down to a point that they still flex some.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You might want to lower the torsion bars a little. The diff drop will drop the differential somewhat, lowering the CV joint angle, but it'll only do so much. If you have manual hubs and don't use 4WD much, then it may be OK as is, but if you have ADD and/or run with the front hubs locked a lot, then lower a bit until the boot ribs don't quite touch.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
run your t bars lower
Old 11-21-2006, 04:50 PM

Soften up the tbars... allyou are loosing is ride height... neither the BJ spacers nor tbar crank provide any extra room for tires... so might as well compromise between looks, CV life, and ride....
Old 11-21-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AH64ID
<SNIP>
neither the BJ spacers nor tbar crank provide any extra room for tires...
<SNIP>
With a minor bumpstop adjustment either or both will

Fred
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
CJM

I beg to differ, they do provide room for bigger tires:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ml#Description
When combined with a mild rear suspension lift, either a lift shackle or block or coil spring spacer, and possibly a mild body lift, it is easy and relatively inexpensive to fit 33" tires under an IFS truck. While a full 4" IFS spacer lift can be installed and will work fine for 33" tires, for less than 1/2 the price and less than half the time and effort, you can install a milder lift that will actually work better than the taller lift. In fitting with the 4Crawler Offroad motto of "lift as much as you need, but as little as possible", why use a 4" lift when 1.5"-2.5" will work just as well, if not better? With less lift, your center of gravity will be lower, driveline angles will be less, brake lines will usually not need to be extended, and overall there will be less stress on the components.
A low profile bumpstop may or may not be needed though..
Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
neither the BJ spacers nor t-bar crank provide any extra room for tires...
Please explain.
This has been discussed numerous times and from what i've gathered, adding BJ spacers or cranking the torsion bars will allow more space for larger tires...just not as much lift/room as some people think.
CV angles are changed when cranked. When they go down, space is created.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
With a minor bumpstop adjustment either or both will

Fred
Well now, thats not standard now is it If I were to crank my bars and add 4" of bumpstop I could probally run 37's...

Originally Posted by CJM
I beg to differ, they do provide room for bigger tires:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ml#Description

A low profile bumpstop may or may not be needed though..
A low profile bumpstop would make it worse.. not better... All BJ spacers do is provide 1.5" more down travel. Uptravel is not changed, nor is the local uptravel occurs to... you still compress to the stock location.. thus removing all lift when you compress. The BJ is above the hub, when you droop the travel is limited by a bumpstop on the UCA, above the BJ spacer so you get 1.5" of extra droop. When you compress the LCA controls compression, the BJ spacer is still above the hub, therfore your tire is in the exact same spot is was before the BJ spacer, or even a tbar crank...

And as per 4crawlers description, it is somewhat misleading... a 33x10.50 will fit stock, so will a 33x12.50 with minor firewall beating (slosurfer has this setup).

Originally Posted by rocket
Please explain.
This has been discussed numerous times and from what i've gathered, adding BJ spacers or cranking the torsion bars will allow more space for larger tires...just not as much lift/room as some people think.
CV angles are changed when cranked. When they go down, space is created.
See above... now all this assumes you take your truck off the pavement... a street queen will have adequite space for larger tirs... The same principal for BJ spacers applies to any for of lift where you dont either add larger bumpstops or use a bracket lift... like on all 95.5+ trucks... spacers and springs dont add room for larger tires, all this stuff does is increase stance, and depending on the setup provide better control offroad....

BJ spacers were designed with a 4" bracket lilft in mind.. the original intent was to add travel to the IFS setup, not for larger tires as thats not part of their capibilities..

Last edited by AH64ID; 11-22-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 AM

basicly a bj spacer adds lift and does not increase suspension travel it simply gives you room for bigger tires ect. it allows the suspension to droop lower, if you put a low profile droop stop and bump stop you technicly have more suspension travel.... not my choice if it were me id sas but ive seen ifs do pretty well minus the cv's snapping..
Old 11-22-2006, 03:19 AM

I don't have the link handy, but I read an installation guide for BJ spacers and they indicated that you must put an extended bumpstop on the truck to prevent it compressing to the stock location. It's bad for something in the suspension if it does once the spacers are installed.

You are not supposed to gain suspension travel with them, only room for larger tires.

At least that's true with the brand I read the installation instructions for...

And to say that you don't get room for bigger tires with them or a tbar crank is just plain wrong and has been proven hundreds of times on thsi forum alone.

I put 32x11.50's on my truck when it was new and they rubbed too bad to drive until I cranked my bars up. It lifed the truck enough that it was at least tolerable until I put on the bl.

It's not proper, but it works.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by titicaca
basicly a bj spacer adds lift and does not increase suspension travel it simply gives you room for bigger tires ect. it allows the suspension to droop lower, if you put a low profile droop stop and bump stop you technicly have more suspension travel.... not my choice if it were me id sas but ive seen ifs do pretty well minus the cv's snapping..

It just the opposite of that... think about the geometry... The standard install from 4crawler and SDORI say nothing about room for larger tires.. its one of the reason 4crawler says "possibly a mild body lift"...

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I don't have the link handy, but I read an installation guide for BJ spacers and they indicated that you must put an extended bumpstop on the truck to prevent it compressing to the stock location. It's bad for something in the suspension if it does once the spacers are installed.

You are not supposed to gain suspension travel with them, only room for larger tires.

At least that's true with the brand I read the installation instructions for...

And to say that you don't get room for bigger tires with them or a tbar crank is just plain wrong and has been proven hundreds of times on thsi forum alone.

I put 32x11.50's on my truck when it was new and they rubbed too bad to drive until I cranked my bars up. It lifed the truck enough that it was at least tolerable until I put on the bl.

It's not proper, but it works.
I would really like to see those install instructions, as none of the two big sellers SDORI or 4Crawler mention it...

What could you possible be hurting by compressing the suspension all the way? Everything except the angle on the upper ball joint is where it would be stock..

Here is 4crawlers advertisment photo, no extra leangth bumpstop...

The SDORI install instruction talk about spacing up lowpro bumpstops on the upper bump stop, the one that limits droop because you will stress the CV's.. this has nothing to do with your compression bumpstops which are the ones that limit tiresize..

Here is the advertisment from SDORI
These spacers provide 1.5" of lift over stock suspension settings as well as 1.5" more overall travel. Enhanced compression travel is well suited for high speed trips through desert washes. These spacers increase functionality while increasing clearance between the fenders and front wheels.
Nothing about larger tires, just the extra suspension travel....

If you had taken your truck off road they would have rubbed just as bad... that is my point.. sure you may gain room on the street, but if your truck leaves the street its a pretty simple concept... you will compress to stock and rub...there is no more room, you just rub less since your sitting higer.. the truck still flexes the same and places the tire in the exact same location as before. Again, think about the geomety and explain how you have made room for larger tires by just adjusting your torsion bars.... you wont be able to....

Last edited by AH64ID; 11-22-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

That is 4crawlers ad pic????

Thats my truck....hmmmm

Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 AM

shoot strap22 a pm about this he sells lots of these kits and I just purchased a BJ lift kit you do get better flex and room for bigger tires...
Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 AM

with the BJ you do get better flex - in one direction, you will get better flex in both directions if you adjust your Tbars.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:53 AM
CJM

I still believe you get lift/articulation and room for tires, where is 4 craweler when you need him?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

I was able to get decent flex with mine....

Last edited by Marc P; 11-22-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:06 AM
CJM

Thats just the BJ spacers up front Marc? Pre sas I assume?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Just BJ spacers, relaxed torsion bars, sway bar discos..yes, pre sas

now it flexes a little more...

Quick Reply: Bj Spacers And T-bar Crank!!?? Please Look!!