Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have any good luck with JC whitney replacement springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any good luck with JC whitney replacement springs?

I was going to do the ZUK mod for my sagging rear end but my pops wasn't to keen about welding on the frame and since this isn't technically my truck yet....well yeah lol. Anyways I'm just going to order a replacement set from JC whitney since I've read good reviews on their springs. Anyone tried them yet? My truck is in my sig. Oh and I've got about 2 inches from my bump stop to the frame stop thingy.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
back in the day !!!! ...... we just use to put in tercel coils in the rear .. same kind of thin zuk does .. but the tercel coils fit in ther with NO welding .. you do have to drop the rear spring hanger to get them in and then compress the spring to get the 4runner hanger back in to place .. if you can do that .. you can have the same thing for about 5 bucks + time

Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 PM

I heard of some people using jeep TJ coils that fit without welding. All that was needed was the retainers that go in place of the bump stop.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
you can just hack up the bumpstop thats welded to the frame, and use it to retain the springs..
Old 02-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested to see how you like the JC whitney springs. I've thought about getting them but haven't heard of too many people on here using them. be sure to report back after the installation!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Zuk Mod = ghetto....go with new springs. JCWhitney makes good stuff, I'd go for it, pretty good price too.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM

Just placed my order in for them today. Should get them installed over spring break.

Question-
I talked with a rep at JC whitney and she told me that each leaf spring only came with 1 eye hole bushing per leaf spring. I thought my toyota pickup needed 2, one for the front eye hole and one for the rear eye hole on either side? Any input on this?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
JCWhitney makes good stuff, I'd go for it, pretty good price too.

I'm all ears... What do they make?

Is it like Napa "makes" this clutch?

Originally Posted by Hilux
Just thought I'd say...

I'm looking at a clutch kit on the Napa site and one on the Advance site. Both have the same stock photo.

The Napa clutch kit is brand new, says it's made by Napa... Part No. NNC MU476281

The Advance one says it's made by Perfection. Again, brand new... And it's $4 cheaper... Part No. MU47628-1

(see the part #'s?)

So I'd say Napa clutches, well also depending on the quality at least, are Perfection clutches...

If that means anything.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-03-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Zuk Mod = ghetto...
Did you have a bad experience with the mod?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
lol, maybe he has something against not having to spend more money on it?

lol... Why do you hate cheap mods?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by elblako91
Just placed my order in for them today. Should get them installed over spring break.

Question-
I talked with a rep at JC whitney and she told me that each leaf spring only came with 1 eye hole bushing per leaf spring. I thought my toyota pickup needed 2, one for the front eye hole and one for the rear eye hole on either side? Any input on this?
Let us know how it all works out for you. Be sure and take measurements so you can post up the gains that you make. It'd be interesting to find out how close to stock the JCW springs get your rig.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by elblako91
I was going to do the ZUK mod for my sagging rear end but my pops wasn't to keen about welding on the frame and since this isn't technically my truck yet....well yeah lol. Anyways I'm just going to order a replacement set from JC whitney since I've read good reviews on their springs. Anyone tried them yet? My truck is in my sig. Oh and I've got about 2 inches from my bump stop to the frame stop thingy.
Pops has a point. I'd lean against hacking up a 2nd gen runner with 5,000 ORIGIHAL MILES!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Ha I'm pushing 6 now. It had around 5 when i started driving it. I aim to do a write up on the install. No one has answered my question though. Are the bushings for each of the eye holes on the leaf spring a different size?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i'd think it depends on the leafs as to whether or not the holes will be the same size. the bolt holes should be the same diameter, but the bushing hole could be different. IIRC, they were different size (front vs rear perch) on my OME leafs - the bushing set came with 2 different sized bushings. and yes, you'll need 8 bushings total - 4 for each leaf. don't forget to pick up new u-bolts, it's not recommended to reuse them - but then again your rig hasn't really been used with only 6k miles on it.

i'm interested in seeing how your JCW leafs hold up. i strongly contemplated buying them but went with OME instead since i could get shocks that were intended to be paired with them.

why do you need leafs anyways? your rig only has 6k on it. been sitting with a load in the back or you just wanting a mild lift?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by LITLRED
Pops has a point. I'd lean against hacking up a 2nd gen runner with 5,000 ORIGIHAL MILES!

dram·a·tize (drm-tz, dräm-)
v. dram·a·tized, dram·a·tiz·ing, dram·a·tiz·es
v.tr.
1. To adapt (a literary work) for dramatic presentation, as in a theater or on television or radio.
2. To present or view in a dramatic or melodramatic way.
v.intr.
1. To be adaptable to dramatic form.
2. To indulge in self-dramatization.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
i'd think it depends on the leafs as to whether or not the holes will be the same size. the bolt holes should be the same diameter, but the bushing hole could be different. IIRC, they were different size (front vs rear perch) on my OME leafs - the bushing set came with 2 different sized bushings. and yes, you'll need 8 bushings total - 4 for each leaf. don't forget to pick up new u-bolts, it's not recommended to reuse them - but then again your rig hasn't really been used with only 6k miles on it.

i'm interested in seeing how your JCW leafs hold up. i strongly contemplated buying them but went with OME instead since i could get shocks that were intended to be paired with them.

why do you need leafs anyways? your rig only has 6k on it. been sitting with a load in the back or you just wanting a mild lift?

Great I'll just order the energy suspension kit and call it a day. It was in the garage for 13+ years and the bed was used as a storage spot for toolboxes/ tools/ random crap plus it had a camper so over time it just sagged would be my guess.