86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

another 22re starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another 22re starting problem

ok, first off i have been lurking in the shadow of yodatech for a few weeks now. i finally decided to step out and try to get help with my problem. i have a 93 reg cab 4x4 with a 22re. only had it for 2 months now, its my first toyota and i love it. i just wish it would run now. the po said he rebuilt the engine and its only has about 14000 on the rebuld. po also said he replaced fuel pump a few weeks before i bought the truck. on easter day i was driving to a family get together and it died.

i got it pulled back to my house and started to work on it. i am an over the road truck driver and had to leave out the same day so i didnt get far. also not had time for it until yesterday. i thought it was fuel pump. bought one and put it with no change would not start. oh, the reason i thought it was the pump was, i could tap on bottom of tank and it would start and drive fine for a mile or two and then die again til final time when it would not start. i checked the old pump by running jumpers from battery to the ends on the fuel pump and it runs. new pump didn't. so i put old pump back in with no change. i took the bad new pump back and got money back.

i have searched on here and everything tells me its either the afm, cor, or ecu. i did the fuel pump jump and it would not start. it cranks over but no start. my friend has a 92 yoda 4x4 with 22re. we took my afm off and put on his truck and his started. the same thing happend with the cor.

if i run a wire from positive post on battery to the jumper on the b+ fp it starts. i am at my wits end and i need help.
oh yea i have replaced the efi relay.

i am sorry for the long winded post, but i guess i make my my first post a good one.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check wire(s) from ignitor/coil signial circut running from the ignitor across the exhaust manifold over the valve cover and into the wiring harness near the injectors. If this wire is damage fuel input signal will be lost.

Coolant temp sensor and cold start time switch? Are their connectors swaped from previous engine work? This will also cause fuel signal to be incorrect.

Check grounds.

Will it start on an alternative fuel sprayed into intake?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:59 PM

it run fine the first couple of weeks after I bought it. so I don't think any wires were messed up during the engine work. i even had to drive 200 miles home from alabama with no problems when i bought it. it seems to be getting fire but not fuel. when I check for fire at fuel pump connection on top of tank it doesn't have fire there. checked with a test light with ignition on in the diagnostic box on inner fender and the b+ didn't have power in it. I guess that why when I do the b+ fp jump it doesn't start. but when I run a wire from battery to the paper clip the engine starts and runs fine. take the wire off and it dies immediately.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM

oh yea I have also replaced the plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor button, and put a k&n drop in air filter
Old 03-18-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Check wire(s) from ignitor/coil signial circut running from the ignitor across the exhaust manifold over the valve cover and into the wiring harness near the injectors. If this wire is damage fuel input signal will be lost.

Coolant temp sensor and cold start time switch? Are their connectors swaped from previous engine work? This will also cause fuel signal to be incorrect.

Check grounds.

Will it start on an alternative fuel sprayed into intake?
I know this is an old thread, however did you find the cause of your problem?
sorry wrong quote...

thanks!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by whiteyoda93
it run fine the first couple of weeks after I bought it. so I don't think any wires were messed up during the engine work. i even had to drive 200 miles home from alabama with no problems when i bought it. it seems to be getting fire but not fuel. when I check for fire at fuel pump connection on top of tank it doesn't have fire there. checked with a test light with ignition on in the diagnostic box on inner fender and the b+ didn't have power in it. I guess that why when I do the b+ fp jump it doesn't start. but when I run a wire from battery to the paper clip the engine starts and runs fine. take the wire off and it dies immediately.
I know this is an old thread, however did you find the cause of your problem?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 PM

93 22re wont start

In need of some help! I have 22re 93 Toyota pickup that just won't start I've jumped the fuel pump and I'm getting fuel and spark and when I crank it over it hits like it wants to start but just won't. I pulled the plugs and #'s 1,3,4 were soaked with gas and #2 looked like it was black like it had carbon and seemed to be the only cylinder firing. I've recently installed a new timing chain kit, fuel pump, platinum dense spark plugs, NGK wires, distributor, distributor cap, and rotor button. I'm stuck on this and would appreciate any suggestions
​​​​​​
Old 08-25-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jackedup93yota
In need of some help! I have 22re 93 Toyota pickup that just won't start I've jumped the fuel pump and I'm getting fuel and spark and when I crank it over it hits like it wants to start but just won't. I pulled the plugs and #'s 1,3,4 were soaked with gas and #2 looked like it was black like it had carbon and seemed to be the only cylinder firing. I've recently installed a new timing chain kit, fuel pump, platinum dense spark plugs, NGK wires, distributor, distributor cap, and rotor button. I'm stuck on this and would appreciate any suggestions
​​​​​​
Sorry for posting on such an old post. I will first state that I am a novice when it comes to cars so please forgive me if I am ignorant in most areas. I have a 86 pickup 22re with the EFI system. The engine acts like it wants to turn over but wont start. It was driving fine until it just wouldn't start again. I replaced the distributor rotor (as it was worn down) and checked the pugs with the ones it came with as well as new ones. Can not get a visible spark, checked the hard shell connector coming from the coil and am only getting 3.8v. I pulled both of my coils and checked the ohm's and am getting the correct readings the chilton book lists on its chart. I am not sure if it is the ignition control module or something in between the coil and the battery. I know that the engine has been rebuilt and it was sitting for about 6 months when I bought it. I got a new gas filter and will change that out but don't feel that that is my only issue due to the pugs not sparking. One odd thing to note is that the cigaret lighter does have to be in for the truck to start, I am not sure why though or where to start looking and I am having trouble finding a good diagram on the issue(due to my lack of knowledge on vehicles). The bright blue 15 draws 1.5 amps. the .75 facing up draws .5 amp I have pulled both and still had power draining somewhere when using my 12 v test light. That was an issue before the truck stopped starting.