Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying little lurch when I let off the gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Housing/3rd Member

Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
I think the tranny mount may be bad, as well as the drivers side motor mount. When I pushed up on the tranny it moved a little bit and by looking at the drivers side motor mount it looks more squished than the passengers side. When I have some time this weekend and the help of someone I'll check all the mounts, driveshaft parts (sounds like pullng it out is the best way to check), u-joints, yolks, and other driveline do-dads. If none of those are the problem, then it probobly narrows it down to being something with my rear diff, right?
if that is where you here the knocking thudding noise then I would look there for sure but would like you said check the drive line and those mounts because bad mounts allow your drive train to move about more and present angles of operation that they were never designed to work under
Get you mounts first if they are bad then check the shaft and u-joints well , if good then grease'em up while they are out and go into the rear , check that flange/yoke bolt Thook was talking about and if its not that then pull the 3rd member and check the gear teeth (ring and pinion) and the bearings .
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle Housing/3rd Member

When you take the drive shaft out and if all that is good then it will already be off and ready for you to look at yoke to re-torque/check that flange/yolk or you may opt to just take it apart (remove 3rd member) if you retorq'ed the yolk/flange bolt first then you could remove 3rd member and inspect the gears and bearing (they are easily visible , just keep it clean) , that way after you remove the third member you could check the pinion bearing by spinning it and see if it has a bad spot , if you opt to take the pinion out I believe at that point you may need at least a new oil seal if you have it down might as well and not sure about a crush sleeve to re-install (not typically re-usable) but may be able to re-use as you would not be changing the ring and pinion , don't take my word for that one as I have not dabled in the drivetrain much in my years outside of regular service , wheel bearings and carrier bearings I have never re-installed and clearenced a ring and pinion set from a stock set , I know how but have not done it , always had my rears set up by a guy named Monte Cline , he built and race pro-stock and top fuel stuff , one of the grand daddy motor heads in the Va area .