86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air Conditioning condenser fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning condenser fan

I have a quick question for you guys.........I was mounting my transmission oil cooler and I removed the air conditioning condenser fan and would like to know if I can leave it off, or if it will hurt the air conditioning system.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 05-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It might cause the truck to overheat when the A/C is on. You could always try it and see how the temp goes. 3rd gen 4Runners don't have that extra fan so I don't know how critical it is on older models.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think it's to cool the radiator.

It's to move air through the condensor at slow speeds.
You might notice the A/C will not work as well at slower speeds without the fan although if it's hot out the engine fan should be pulling air.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The pickups don't have that fan, but I wish they did. It would be nice to have the extra air flow when the AC is on. I suspect its because the 4runners have so much more interior air space to cool that the AC has to work harder. I'd put it back on and find another spot for the ATF cooler myself. If you need some help with that let me know, I've mounted 5 extra oil coolers on my rig now and none of them are in front of the radiator. In front of the radiator can only decrease air flow to the rad and add extra heat to the rad.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The pickups don't have that fan, but I wish they did. It would be nice to have the extra air flow when the AC is on. I suspect its because the 4runners have so much more interior air space to cool that the AC has to work harder. I'd put it back on and find another spot for the ATF cooler myself. If you need some help with that let me know, I've mounted 5 extra oil coolers on my rig now and none of them are in front of the radiator. In front of the radiator can only decrease air flow to the rad and add extra heat to the rad.
well I think im going to put it back on but with a spacer then I can keep the cooler but would love the see the other spots you have mounted yours
Old 05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

i put mine behind my front skid, as per robinhood150's write up. had to make a couple small notches for the arb bumper afterwards, it was pretty straight forward.

lee
Old 05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bluemunkey1820
well I think im going to put it back on but with a spacer then I can keep the cooler but would love the see the other spots you have mounted yours
I'll add some info to these later when I have time:

This is my tranny cooler behind the skid plate. It and the engine oil cooler fan are controlled with a Hayden 3647 controller. It has an adjustable on-off range of 160-240? IIRC, and will run 2 fans but they'll both have to be running at same time. They are set to come on anytime the AC is running. The controller is connected through my manual off switch that also controls my radiator fan so if I get into deep water the power can be easily switched off all the fans. These are motorcycle/atv fans and are made fairly waterproof so I think they'll last a while in some wet conditions, also they have fairly low amp draw.

This is a cooler for the power steering fluid (really ATF)

It is so close to the tranny cooler fan in front of it that the fan cools it some too.

This is another oil cooler that has coolant running through it. You know how engine temp goes down when you run the heater in the cab. Well the heater hoses have a "T" in them and in the summer the coolant is run through this oil cooler and it basicly is like running the heater all the time in the summer.

Coolant also goes through this tranny type cooler. I like to support these coolers with frames made from angle iron. Brackets were fabbed up with scrap steel. No one said a tranny cooler can't lay on its side did they?

It has a used motorcycle fan (from ebay) wired to a manual switch in the cab, relays were used for all manual switches.

My engine oil cooler was added after I installed an oil temp gauge and found what I had expected, some fairly high oil temps (260 deg F). Keep in mind I'm supercharged running a little over 10 psi of boost pressure.

The oil filter sits on a sandwich plate adapter with a thermostat that bypasses the cooler when the oil temp is below 170 F IIRC.

One of the frames made from angle iron, the frame helps prevent cooler from flexing and breaking over time.

Some motorcycle radiator fans off ebay, they can be found for as cheap as $10-15. The bikers take them off to lighten the bikes for racing. Some are basicly new.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-09-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
jesus man, bet it sounds like a jet when your truck's at full aperating tempurature, and I'm not reffering to the supercharger either!

that's a lot of coolers; only thing that would piss me off is leaks... that's a lot of spots for potential failure, but I nice setup none the less.

I'm thinking of putting together a dual fan setup on my pickup; doing away with the fan clutch, and have one in the engine bay pulling air in, and one on the grill side pushing air in

I only have the 22re, so one fan should be adequet for the H2O cooling, and the other I'll probably only have kick on with the AC (with a manual override in case she start to run a little warm)
Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
jesus man, bet it sounds like a jet when your truck's at full aperating tempurature, and I'm not reffering to the supercharger either!

that's a lot of coolers; only thing that would piss me off is leaks... that's a lot of spots for potential failure, but I nice setup none the less.
Yeah it does sound like a jet LOL.

You bring up a good point about failures and I meant to point out some tips on helping with that.

Loom is your friend, so are zip ties and fuses.

While you're at the store getting trans cooler hose, find some heater hose or loom that will fit the over the cooler hose to protect it where it touches sharp metal edges. I've seen guys run cooler hose through holes in sheet metal unprotected, over time that will wear a hole in the hose and you have a leak.

Zip tie everything out of the way and don't run something close to the exhaust system without protection.

Properly fuse any positive wire as close to the source of power as possible. Remember fuses are to protect from fires not to protect the device you're wiring up. If a "+" wire gets damaged and grounded against something it can start a fire. The fuse is to stop that, so only fuse as big as nessesary for the device you're wiring up.