Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92' keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The oil is blow off from the engine. As the engine builds up pressure inside it need to bleed some of that off so it won't blow seals and such. There are some blow off valves on the valve covers that allow some of the air out. This air has some oil in it and Toyota couldn't dump it into the air for emissions reasons so they tried to reburn/collect it in the intake.

You can eliminate this if you want by putting some filters on the blow off valves and not dumping it into the intake, but I highly doubt this is your problem so leave that project till you have solved your problem .
Old 07-28-2006, 09:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh well! All moot now...wife cancelled the insurance. It's parked for awhile.
Thanks all!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:42 AM

Back in business....she changed her mind.

Anyway, a filter is a good idea. I even thought of that. I figured this wasn't my problem, but I will eventually address it. Keep it out of the intake, I say.

About the air flow meter, though. I will read up on it, but if anyone has some input about the discoloration.....?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
It's not that the AFM is bad, but maybe that the flap is stuck open. Take off the air filter and look up into the intake. That's where the "flapper", as 84sr6yoty so eloquently put it, is located. That flap is open when the engine is running, an so therefore could be telling the ECU that a running engine is present, therefore causing the fuel pump to run. The engine temp sensor can cause a rich fuel condition because the ECU is then richening the mixture to compensate for the cold engine. You can still get codes even those these sensors/meters test OK because of a bad connection or short in the wirign to those parts. Hope this helps!

You need to rename this post; as it's taken on a life of it's own, you should call it "the incredible '92 3vze that refused all efforts at troubleshooting" or some other appropriate name...
The "flapper" appears to be just fine. It's spotless up in there and closes up well. There is a circuit open relay on this rig, I believe. I know when mine went bad in my '86, from corrosion...water getting into the side there, I had to jump it to get my rig running again. Unless there is anything that would cause the fuel pump to run like this, I will look into the relay switch.

On the ECT sensor wire, I assume I would just test it for voltage or continuity. I did notice the wire jacket was cracking around the harness where it mates to the sensor. Maybe it's bad elsewhere, as well.

And the AFM.....if that tests good on the ohm's, then it's good, as far as the electronics are concerned...right?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thook, are you out there right now? (before I go any further)
Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 PM

thook and the gang

:bigclap: I'm sorry to say I have to retire for now.I've been reading about your poor truck for the past three hours.I hope it dosen't turn into a hot-tub!
I found your"story" while looking to solve mine , which seems very similar.But you never came to any sound conclusion.Hopefully I can get back into this tomorrow after work.By the time I registered so I could post, you were off line.But the thing I was about to get into was the fuel pump relay.Mine was getting hot so I started to replace it everytime the truck took a dive and it started right up again. That lasted for a couple of days but now it's doing it again.Oh well,thought I had it.Anyway I 'gotta go for now,and hope one of us figures it all out. And then,perhaps , lifes problems will be solved.You guys made for some interesing and amussing reading.Hope to catch you tomorrow.
p.s tampa,fl.wishing I was in arkansas..............good-luck
Old 12-23-2006, 10:38 PM

Haha! Found ya! LOL! I've been pm'ing you, dude. That first pm of yours had me itchin' from curiousity as to what you were talking about. Pays to use the search feature 'round here, cause now I see why you said not to give up...ha!

Thank you very much for your encouragement! I tell you, this vehicle has been the hub of most everything I know about Toyotas now. And OF COURSE, with ALL the help of everyone who's lent a hand here! I really can't thank everyone enough! You all have no idea what it means!

Well, 86bullet, the 92's come a long way since this thread BECAUSE I didn't give up. All the headaches I went through came to one final conclusion, though. A freakin', gawl dern mis-adjusted valve that eventually reared it's ugly charcoaled burned head! Talk about a vacuum leak...dead #5 cylinder. There's a very long story behind all the problems I dealt with that fully intend to post ONLY cause there were details that I did not know until I HAD to tear down the top end of the motor. And once I discovered what exactly was going on I was hot as that crispy valve! I got pics and all of the shoddy workmanship of the fellow who rebuilt the motor, who happens to also be a member here. But, I'll save all that for later. It's kind of a buyer's "Be Forwarned" post. I'll be decent about it, but I'll be honest.

Anyhow.....
You're dealing with a fuel pump relay? I take it that's on an '86 "4runner"? If it's getting hot and burning out I'm thinking that means you've got resistance somewhere in the circuit between the relay and power supply. Possibly corrosion. I say that because the relay on my '86 died from corrosion at the circuit itself, so I just bypassed it. The fuel pump runs when you turn the key on, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. It just isn't "optimal" safety in case of a collision. Atleast, that's what I understand from what I was told about the function of these relays. So, there may be other reasons for it I'm not aware of.

Heh..funny story..
I went to get the fuel system flushed a while back and part of the procedure is to hook into the fuel system with two tubes from the cleaning machine. Well, after the mechanic did the deed and went to unhook everything, fuel kept shooting out everywhere. He nor I could figure why there was still pressure in the system. We thought we'd wait a minute or three to let it eventually just die off, but fuel kept coming and coming. He was like,"WTH is going on here? This shouldn't be happening!". Then, we realized the fuel pump was running. "Now, why is the fuel pump running?". "Oh! Duh! The key is on! The relay! Remember?!"
Well, maybe you had to be there...

Last edited by thook; 12-23-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:02 AM

Well I'm glad to here you think you found the problem, not that I woulud want that problem.I'll wait to hear more.But right now I'm going to go for a test drive.That is, drive it until it does it again.Then all I'm going to do is loosen the gas cap and see if that solves the problem.
Somewhere in here someone wrote "did you try driving with the cap off". I can't find that post anywhere.I was going to ask what made him think that,etc.besides the fact that the vent tube could be plugged,but how would that stall the truck? Anyway I have to go now and see what happens.I will surely be back to post the results of this highly suffistcated test.Thanks.And talk to you-all later.If I'm not back in a couple of hours send a search party.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Well, for over a month now my truck has been diying every 7or8 miles, now I go out on a mission to wait for it to happen,to be ready for it...you know,Christmas day,no traffic,not on my way to work,just ready for it to stall.40 miles and two hours later ,you guessed it. NOTHING! Just run like a top.Just purr like a kitten.Just laughing at me.See, they DO have a consience.Just like thook said something "matrix" going on here.Now I don't know if that's good or bad.If I didn't fix anything then I don't know if it's 'gonna happen again.Oh well.I have tomorrow off also so I will go for another test drive.Only this time I'll try to make it THINK it's going to take me to work. (stupid truck). I better watch what I say. You know? truck-computer-laptop-matrix- truck....uh oh.I better go.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:38 PM

just wondering why my square says I'm off line