Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 T4R Over heating issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 T4R Over heating issue...

1986 Toy 4Runner 22re / 58k miles on original motor / 5spd / 35x12.5x15 KM2

Over heating issue, with temp gauge from cold all the way to the white line but not red..

When I install this new motor I never knew you had to bleed the cooling system. I just added more and more coolant w/ water to the radiator. It ran like a champ. After today’s issue I remember hearing the reservoir bubbling after a long drive around town (30mins). That happens almost every now and then. It still ran like a champ. When starting the car and go, I can hear water shuffling inside the rig. Thinking it might be the heater core. Nothing too major but didn’t bother me. 2 weeks ago my water pump started to leak from that little hole. Changed it right away and it never leak since. But did not bleed it. Went fishing about an hour away and drove 45 straight, it was nice and cool. 50mins plus, the temp gauge began to rise to mid level and beyond, but not hitting red BUT near the white line. I was in 4th gear going 65mph straight ahead.. Slowed down pass a city and it began to drop just tad… all day fishing and driving 15-25 to a new spot to fish, gauge stayed the same no overheating at all just a little up to ½ way on the temp gauge.. Driving back home was pretty much the same. It was around 730 at night and we drove 65 mph on 5th gear for 40mins straight it was normal…Right around 50mins it began to rise again. Pulled over and stop and it was bubbling and or boiling in the reservoir. Pulled the cap with the tube and it was hot air blowing out. So hot you can’t put your hands more than 2 seconds. let it cool and drain the fluid there and added new radiator fluid 70/30.. Drove it 15mins back home with normal temp. 20mins in driving and temp gauge began to rise again. BTW at those times heater was on full blast and it was not even hot..

What I have done:

Pulled the t-stat and yes it open and it works. Placed it in boiling water on stove to test.
Flush the heater core from the fire wall and flush it with a water hose till I see clear water…
Checked oil. It was clear of water or bubbles or milky type.
Bleed cooling system.Parked rig on a small incline and open the cap and let car run for 10mins adding water and getting all bubbles out.
Check clutch fan. Test it by wiggling and spinning it. Normal operation I assume..

After all this, I let it warmed up. After that, I rev the motor for 5mins after warm motor.. The temp gauge rises pass mid level and beyond.. I turn off the car and NO more bubbling. But still over heating. Im stuck. I’ve heard it could be the HG. But before I rip this apart I need something more specific. Please do help. Sorry about the long story.

Last edited by tyes; 04-02-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Are you losing coolant at all???

Do you need to keep adding it all the time ??

Sometimes it can be a real pain to get these bled correct .

Is this still the original radiator?? They get blocked over the years.

For checking cooling systems a pressure tester and a infrared thermometer are about the best way.

Figure out just what is wrong first. before pulling things apart.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Try a steep incline or a high floor jack and get the front end as high as possible to bleed the air out of the system. Pull radiator cap off and let thermostat cycle a few times with the engine running.

Timing to far advanced can cause overheating.

Pull your radiator out and have it professionally flushed. The Preston kit wont get the rust and gunk out of it. I can have mine done for about $25 around here. It makes a big difference.

Are you blowing water out of tail pipe or steam? Possible head gasket.

Check your sparkplugs and see if one is whiter then the others.