86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

80 AMP fuse trashed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80 AMP fuse trashed

While troubleshooting my alternator/ battery charge light problem I got into a little jam I was ckecking the fuses behind the battery before doing an alternator check following the Haynes Manual. When I got to the 80 amp fuse it looked blown and was difficult to remove. While gently persuading it to let go, all hell broke loose. Now the fuse is in a couple hundred parts with some still in the box. What i'm wondering is:

1. Should this fuse be easily removed like the others? My assumption was that it was toasted to the wires underneath.
2. What would the best method for removal and installation be, at this point?
3. Am I a total nincompoop or what? Nevermind do not answer that..

Oh yeah, It is a 1988 4runner V6. If you guys help me out I will graciously post lots of pics next time.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 PM

if i am correct i belive that fuse is actually bolted in you might wana check right under it and c if there is a nut/bolt
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 AM

I found the writeup about replacing the wire coming off of the positive battery cable. It had a great picture of the bottom of the fuse box. That's what happens when you drink two cups of coffee and start working on vehicles.

Next step is to replace the alternator bushings to see if this turns off the battery charge light.

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know if the V6 are the same, check the charge fuse. Its in the driverside kickpanel; should be a 15A in the middle on the bottom. Take the cover off and you'll see what I'm saying.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:36 AM

I was looking for that fuse box yesterday. Felt like I was going to rip the crap out of the carpet trying to find it. Is it down to the left of the drivers left foot? Thats were it is on my 2000 Tacoma. But, it was hard to see on the runner.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 AM

i had a problum simmler... my truck(89v6p/u) would randomly die from time to time. i said ok lets see the batt is not charging...ok new batt. crusin fer a lil wile with the new batt and she dies agean .ok thats it im pissed, down to P&A for a new Alt. installed..noice..but once agean she fails.So me and my GFs old man tow the yota to his house were we begin really inspecting it. 2 days and a lotta tinkering around and we found out that the in cab fuse block were the 30Amp alt fuse is wasent makeing proper conection so he shoved a little bold in nexto it and i have never hade this problum agean. morel of the story check the simple things first. check the alt wires for chafing. and that fuse it dose have a bolt throo the bottem of it i riped mine apart getting it out to.
hope this helps a little
Andrew
Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 AM

Yup, that helps alot. I replaced the battery with a new one. Ended up returning that one because the light was still on. So now I'm starting with the little things. Thanks..

I'll check the fuse box this evening. I really need a stupid garage.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 AM

Haha ohh man. im so sick of screwin around in the driveway.i pray everynight that a garage will magickly appear in my yard haha yea right. good luck and get the old carhart out its gettin chilly..
Old 12-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by frisbeedog
I found the writeup about replacing the wire coming off of the positive battery cable. It had a great picture of the bottom of the fuse box. That's what happens when you drink two cups of coffee and start working on vehicles.

Next step is to replace the alternator bushings to see if this turns off the battery charge light.

Thanks,
Where is said write up? I noticed mine is going bad and the 80 Amp fuse in the relay box is blown now too, which might be as a result of that. Write up would be awesome.