Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE timing belt write up...my contribution

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3VZE timing belt write up...my contribution

Well, I finally did it. Many thanks to all who contributed. I read and read so many post on this forum that I felt very confident jumping into this. This is my payback other than my monetary contribution to this forum.

Attached is a very fast writeup on how I did my timing belt. It is not a step by step, but it is close enough. I did the best I could based my busy schedule.

I attached a tools picture I used to do the job. No special tools except for the Powerbuilt red handled tool to remove the camshaft bolt to slide off the timing belt. Not really sure if you can do this job without removing the cam pulley. I honestly think you have to remove the pulley. Aside from the large breaker bar and 19mm impact socket, the crankbolt was not as difficult as I feared.

I listed gotchas at the end of the document.

If you PM me, I will send you critical pictures in large MB size so you can see in detail. Otherwise, I will add the small pictures here.

I dont know how to address the pictures. I have so many of them. I had to reduce these pictures to attach them. Let me know and I can email the original 7Meg pictures to you.

If you live in Los Angeles, ping me. I will loan you the Powerbuilt tool. Heck, I might even help you. :}

I really hope you find this valuable. Word document attached.
Attached Thumbnails 3VZE timing belt write up...my contribution-tools-resized.jpg   3VZE timing belt write up...my contribution-breaker-remove-crankbolt-brake-5th-gear-resized.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 06-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Nice writeup. You do not need to remove the cam pulleys to replace the timing belt. (You do if you want to replace the cam seals, as you did, and you might have had the need to do that.)

While many others have successfully put their truck in gear and used that against a breaker to remove the crank pulley, you obviously can't do that with an automatic. But if you search these forums you will find an amazing array of good ideas of how to keep the crank from turning. I built a "custom" tool to hold the crank pulley, but the most clever idea I heard may be the guy who threaded a few feet of nylon rope into a cylinder!