Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE reassembly sequence and can you name this part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE reassembly sequence and can you name this part?

Hi all,

I'm just about ready to reassemble my 22RE and have a couple questions about the sequence. I removed the engine from the truck and the block is now on the engine stand. I replaced the rings and I also replaced the main bearings, rod bearings and thrust washers. So right now, the bottom end is the only thing put together. I was thinking of putting it back together in this sequence:

1.) timing chain/cover with cam sprocket zip-tied to the timing chain.
2.) head gasket/head and somehow get the sprocket to get up on the camshaft.
3.) oil pan
4.) then start the painstaking process of attaching the intake and exhaust and the rest of the pile of parts sitting in my garage.

I also purchased a top end gasket set from the dealer. It has a couple of pieces that I don't know what to do with and it's also missing some pieces that I need. But anyway, does anybody know what these parts are?
The rubber gasket on the left is the thermostat gasket. I put that one in the pic so you'd have an idea of how big the others are. As for the 2 little ones on the right, there are 8 in total.
THanks,
Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 2 on the bottom right are the ones that go on top of the valve cover, aren't they? Not sure on the rest.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 PM

put the head on then the timing cover makes life a lot easier with the chain tensioner.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2 big silver ones are exhaust gaskets if you still have your stock manifold.

The 2 little ones are your valve cover gromets but should only be 4 of them.

The one to the right of the thermostat gasket looks like the front timing cover seal but at the same time does not look like it.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM

The 8 little ones are your valve guides seals. Look between you valve springs and you will see the factory seals. Unless you have the right tools your machine shop needs to put them on. Usually when you get a little puff of smoke when you first start you engine, its your seals letting a little oil by.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Easy dude. The rubber ring on the left is for thermostat, 2 smaller seasl are valve stem seals, other rubber ring fits under your oil fill cap and the 2 white ones are exhaust flange gaskets if you still have the stock manifold and header pipe. Come on, I need something tougher than this!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 PM

btw those exhaust gaskets are only a few bucks at Napa

i only say this because I just replaced them all and the last time I tried finding them no autopart store had them or new where to get them so i found some at a muffler shop..

incase anyone had as much trouble as me now you wont have drive around everywhere getting a headache =P
Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM

thanks all. Yeah, I knew that the one on the left was the thermostat gasket. I had a suspicion about the little ones being for the valves, (especially because there are 8 of them). I didn't do any work on the head besides simply having it milled. The machine shop wanted $350 Cdn to rebuild the head, but I can get a new one on eBay for a lot less. I just decided to have the head milled and throw it back on. It's not in bad shape.

The main question I have is about the rebuild sequence though. The FSM says to put the timing chain/cover on first and then the head. Anybody want to wade in on this. I'd like to hear from both sides before I go ahead and put it all back together. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 PM

thanks all. Yeah, I knew that the one on the left was the thermostat gasket. I had a suspicion about the little ones being for the valves, (especially because there are 8 of them). I didn't do any work on the head besides simply having it milled. The machine shop wanted $350 Cdn to rebuild the head, but I can get a new one on eBay for a lot less. I just decided to have the head milled and throw it back on. It's not in bad shape.

The main question I have is about the rebuild sequence though. The FSM says to put the timing chain/cover on first and then the head. Anybody want to wade in on this. I'd like to hear from both sides before I go ahead and put it all back together. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM

"I" would put the TC on, then the head, fish the chain up to the top and put the gear in, then install the oil pan. you just have to be careful of the crank position and chain position so your timing is correct.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 AM

When I did mine, I placed the head on with the head bolts hand tight in case it didn't work like I hoped. Then I installed the timing set and the cover. It worked well so I then torqued everything down. It seemed easier than the way they had it outlined in the book.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by slamigo

Chain, tensioner, all goes on along witht he cover, then the head and pan.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 AM

allright, I've paid about $220 Cdn to the dealership for gaskets and still don't seem to have them all. I was looking on eBay and came across this pic which illustrates a complete set. I've highlighted in blue the ones that I don't have.
Can any of you guys identify them for me so I know what the heck to ask for at the parts counter? The round "thingy" and the "square whatzit" isn't cutting it.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 AM

also, I wasn't going to bother with an oil pan gasket as the FSM doesn't call for one and it didn't have one on there when I removed it. RTV should seal it up fine right?
Thanks.