86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re, head gasket, timing cover job

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
22re, head gasket, timing cover job

Hi all. Im new to this forum. Im a newb with this these trucks, Ive owned my 93 22re 4x4 pickup 5 months so far. I love it. She's got 220,000 miles on the clock, and runs well. I've had an oil leak coming from under the distributor since I got it, but this leak has recently gotten real bad. Its to the point now where fixing it is mandatory. The previous owner replaced the timing chain components, and through research Im lead to believe that an improper timing cover installation has caused the leak (head gasket damage). The pics dont do the leak justice. Oil is disapearing out of the engine, and leaves drips wherever the truck is parked.

From Toyota Ive ordered:
-head gasket
-timing cover gaskets
-water pump gasket

Im hoping properly installing these will eliminate the leak. Does anyone know of any good references to do this job right? I will be attempting to get it done in 1.5 days. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, if it is oil I very highly dought that it is the head gasket. I had an external head gasket leak and coolant would leak once pressure built up in the system.

Under the distributor. If you remove the distributor there should be an o ring. This could be pinched from an inpropper install.

I am going to look at my 1995 and see what else could be leaking.

Also if it is leaking that bad you should be able to watch it leak. I would degrease it with simple grean type cleaner. Then get an extendable little mirror. They sell them at autozone cheap. Let it run and see where exactly it is coming from.

If you are going to pull the distributor mark it with a punch or chisle first.

Keep me posted and don't do the head gasket because that is not your issue if you are leaking oil.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks to me like it's either the distributor o ring or the valve cover gasket. If the timing chain had been done once in the past without removing the head there is the slight chance oil could be leaking where the head meets the top of the timing cover. But, that is unlikely. I have done a hundred without removing the head and I have never had one leak. If the timing chain has never been done I doubt the front top timing cover is leaking. That is usually pretty rare even on high milage motors. You said "improper timing cover installation" May be the cause. I would spray the area with cleaner then drive the thing for a few hours and look exactly where it's leaking. Also, pull the valve cover and look at the timing chain guides and see if you even need to do a timing job.
In my experience it is less hassle to replace the head gasket than to do a complete timing job. I'm just sayin

Last edited by toyospearo; 07-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Looks to me like it's either the distributor o ring or the valve cover gasket. If the timing chain had been done once in the past without removing the head there is the slight chance oil could be leaking where the head meets the top of the timing cover. But, that is unlikely. I have done a hundred without removing the head and I have never had one leak. If the timing chain has never been done I doubt the front top timing cover is leaking. That is usually pretty rare even on high milage motors. You said "improper timing cover installation" May be the cause. I would spray the area with cleaner then drive the thing for a few hours and look exactly where it's leaking. Also, pull the valve cover and look at the timing chain guides and see if you even need to do a timing job.
In my experience it is less hassle to replace the head gasket than to do a complete timing job. I'm just sayin
thanks for the replies guys. I thought the distributor oring was the problem. Ive already bought a new one from toyota and installed it with silicone. Still have the leak. I've washed it, and driven it around to try and find the leak. Its hard to tell, but oil usually starts to pool around the alternator. The valve cover does leak a little. Also it does seem like the dizzy o-ring might still be leaking. The previous owner, from what he told me, had the head off as well as all of the timing parts. So, Im thinking maybe the HG got pinched?? I dont know but its making a real mess. Maybe youre right, and I should only replace the head gasket while leaving the timing cover in place. I have no plans to touch the timing chain or any of its components (other than removing the cam). Does this sound about right? I'll wash it again and inspect first.

Last edited by the171; 07-11-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it looks like there's a nice trail running from the oil dipstick in this picture

maybe pressure is building up somehow? dunno.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
it looks like there's a nice trail running from the oil dipstick in this picture

maybe pressure is building up somehow? dunno.
this is another idea that i had at first... however oil is definitely running down from above. it must be one or more of these:

-head gasket
-timing cover
-distributor o-ring
-valve cover

You guys are great for offering advice. Later in the week I'll be taking it apart. Will post results.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM

After looking at the radiator hose it almost looks like the oil is spraying on it. You need to clean this thing really good and then let it run while watching it. A power washer may help to clean it good.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:49 AM

If you do end up replacing the timing cover and water pump gaskets, put a very very thin amount of grey RTV on the gasket surfaces. This will ensure a perfect seal and prevent you from having this problem again.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had a problem with the TC cover leaking after the dealership replaced the TC. They failed to follow their own service manual and did NOT replace the head gasket. Clearly this was the source of the leak.

I caused quite a commotion when, after doing my homework, I brought it to their attention. They were a little dumbfounded when I proved that they did it wrong by simply showing them their own service manual. I believe step 2 is 'remove the head'. Nothing in my work order of head work. They redid the whole thing for free including the head gasket this time. Now, no leak! Not sure if it was common shop practice or if the tech took a shortcut.

It can be difficult to get the proper seal against the old head gasket since the crush is gone.

I understand that you can probably get away with sealant, but for me, it didn't work and it's not technically the right way to do the job. Although, for a DIY job, it might be worth the risk.

Last edited by natty; 07-13-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Putting head gasket sealer in is like putting tape on a severed radiator hose. It might work for a second but that is it.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
That is a lot of oil leaking. Shouldn't be too hard to find that leak.
I would clean the whole area again. I mean clean and clean and clean some more. Wipe all around there with a paper towel so there is NO MORE OIL. Then drive it into town and around. Come home and pull everything you can that is obstructing your view: dizzy, fan, power steering bracket etc. and find out EXACTLY where things are leaking. You will save yourself a few sleepless nights in addition to time if you pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from. Doing a head gasket would suck if you had a leak from the valve cover gasket.

Last edited by toyospearo; 07-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM

well, before I started doing any of this I was driving around town and all the sudden the truck started running real rough. Checked the plugs, and the rear was just caked in sludge. Decided I like my truck, so Im having the motor professionally rebuilt by crosstown engine rebuilders in Toronto, ON, top to bottom. She goes under the knife tomorrow.