84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

shackle reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shackle reverse

ok guys im looking for some thoughts on this. i have an 84 xcab that im swaping a dana 44 in the front and am looking for some lift options. right now im kind of thinking of doin a shackle reverse and runnig stock rears in the front and i have chev 63's in the rear. anyone done this? thoughts and opinions welcome anything you guys got would be awesome thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM

i have only seen one toy like this but it seems to work well for the jeeps. so why not? and im liking the way it keeps the DL pointed right at the t case
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can i have your toyota front axle?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Okay, I have to ask. WHY?

A properly built Toy axle is stronger than a D44 and cheaper to build, and you already have the Toy axle under it. Gears, lockers, cromo shafts, highsteer, etc. All cheaper on the Toyota axle.

You can run 5.29s front and rear with the Toy axle, but will have to run 4.88s or 5.38/5.29. So, I am just curious as to why you would pull the better axle out from under the truck.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman84
i have only seen one toy like this but it seems to work well for the jeeps. so why not? and im liking the way it keeps the DL pointed right at the t case
That is about the only advantage. Disadvantage are poor ride and handling on-road and the low hanging shackle up front likes to get snagged on rocks and push backwards and invert or worse snap the spring, like happened on this Jeep (broken spring was welded together to tow it off the trail):

Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Okay, I have to ask. WHY?

A properly built Toy axle is stronger than a D44 and cheaper to build, and you already have the Toy axle under it. Gears, lockers, cromo shafts, highsteer, etc. All cheaper on the Toyota axle.

You can run 5.29s front and rear with the Toy axle, but will have to run 4.88s or 5.38/5.29. So, I am just curious as to why you would pull the better axle out from under the truck.
ok so i wanted a wider stance w/out having huge offset rims/wheel spacers/ifs hub conversion. also i wanted the tighter steering radius and to be able to fix it on the trail, need it be done. and not true for the lockers and gears(in my case at least) i got my new gears and carrier for $125 and you cant get the grizzly zip locker for a toy axle. and i am getting one of those and a arb compressor for less then one arb air. also i dont want to run something that i need to gusset the hell out of to keep it from bending.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
That is about the only advantage. Disadvantage are poor ride and handling on-road and the low hanging shackle up front likes to get snagged on rocks and push backwards and invert or worse snap the spring, like happened on this Jeep (broken spring was welded together to tow it off the trail):

ok thanks thats really what i was lookin for. i just seen a rig that had it in a magazine and it seemed to work well and was just kind thinkin hmmm.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM

I was just looking at doing this same thing for the same reasons, only i thought the D44 would be stronger also. Flat out a researched it for days and days, and by research I mean I talked to people who have either a D44 in their yota's and people who had built their toy axle.

Only had one kid tell me he liked his 44 more than his toy axle and he is a mall wheeler.

14 guys, and only one was happier with his D44 swap.

But if you still want to change sell me your for cheap since its a crap axle.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Are you talking stock dana 44's?

cause in some situations, the width would be great.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM

ok so i wanted a wider stance w/out having huge offset rims/wheel spacers/ifs hub conversion. also i wanted the tighter steering radius and to be able to fix it on the trail, need it be done.
On my last wheeling outing I broke my rear ring and pinion and couldn't even roll. I put my front third in the rear and drove out in rwd. How many vehicles can do this on the trail? Having 2 identical 3rd members definately does have its advantages.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM

I do not like the mini truck axles because of the differentials as desertcamper67 experienced, and the narrow width.
I do not like the D44 because of strength issues.

I am currently looking at the fj60.
It holds a 9.5" differential so it should hold up to longs with out worring about breaking it.
It is 3 inches wider than the mini which is nice for stability.
A fj80 rear differential with a elocker can be installed into it which is a lot cheaper than a arb.
The bad part is you loose a little ground clearance and you will want a 9.5 differential in the full floating rear axle which leads you to a diamond fj80 rear.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM

I don't blame my breakage on the size of my r&p. I blame 4Wheel Parts who put it in. I found the pinion nut loosened up after a year and they wouldn't do anything about it. They didn't even peen the nut into the slot and no cotter pin is used. I just tightened it and peened the nut over.
It was a poor install job if I ever had one.
My truck has the 22RE and that isn't enough to break stuff like that on the ledge I was attempting.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ratstar
I was just looking at doing this same thing for the same reasons, only i thought the D44 would be stronger also. Flat out a researched it for days and days, and by research I mean I talked to people who have either a D44 in their yota's and people who had built their toy axle.

Only had one kid tell me he liked his 44 more than his toy axle and he is a mall wheeler.

14 guys, and only one was happier with his D44 swap.

But if you still want to change sell me your for cheap since its a crap axle.
well i mean i pretty much have finished building the d44 so im going to stick w it. i narrowed it to 62" and runnin a 88 toy rear. i am just testin stuff out really like some day i want d60's but that will be a while. thanks for the input but i just dont like the idea of having to buy the ifs hubs and a kit to make it wider and gusset the piss out of it and get new shafts. and the list goes on b/c i would rebuild it. man i just cant see how ppl see it as coming out ahead in cost
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Are you talking stock dana 44's?

cause in some situations, the width would be great.
well its narrowed to 62" but thats still damn wide compared to like 55" which is the stk toy axle i believe
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
On my last wheeling outing I broke my rear ring and pinion and couldn't even roll. I put my front third in the rear and drove out in rwd. How many vehicles can do this on the trail? Having 2 identical 3rd members definately does have its advantages.
true. but i picked up on some actual dana 4.88 gears which are damn strong so i dont see this as much of a worry. i also dont see why you bothered to swap it to the rear? i would have just left it lol
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by whokrz
I do not like the mini truck axles because of the differentials as desertcamper67 experienced, and the narrow width.
I do not like the D44 because of strength issues.

I am currently looking at the fj60.
It holds a 9.5" differential so it should hold up to longs with out worring about breaking it.
It is 3 inches wider than the mini which is nice for stability.
A fj80 rear differential with a elocker can be installed into it which is a lot cheaper than a arb.
The bad part is you loose a little ground clearance and you will want a 9.5 differential in the full floating rear axle which leads you to a diamond fj80 rear.
you know i was pondering the fj60 but there is really no way to get one around here w out goin broke. lol and i am getting a super good deal on a zip locker from yukon so i am pretty set on that d44. i mean at least if i break my shaft on the trail i can get to the damn thing! lol
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM

true. but i picked up on some actual dana 4.88 gears which are damn strong so i dont see this as much of a worry. i also dont see why you bothered to swap it to the rear? i would have just left it lol
I would have left it in too if the gears would mesh and let me roll. C'mon think about it. Tires roll, axles turn, ring gear spins and pinion, in turn, spins. But not with broken teeth.

I needed to drive out, not get towed by a 4x4 tow truck.

You did say you want to be able to do trail repairs didn't you? You got to know what to do first and why.

Either way you go, good luck.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
sounds like you should sell your '84 and get something else you won't have to worry about needing so many modifications.

If the Jeeps having front mounted shackles was so great a lot of companies would not have made a ton of money selling shackle reversal kits.

Front mounted shackles have a tendency to wander more, have more bump steer, increase chances for bent springs..sounds good to me

Reinventing the wheel here when it doesn't need to happen--JMO
Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
I would have left it in too if the gears would mesh and let me roll. C'mon think about it. Tires roll, axles turn, ring gear spins and pinion, in turn, spins. But not with broken teeth.

I needed to drive out, not get towed by a 4x4 tow truck.

You did say you want to be able to do trail repairs didn't you? You got to know what to do first and why.

Either way you go, good luck.
actually i meant leave it front wheel drive and get out? ya pull your rear out but i would be worried about not getting all the shards out and taking out my other set. idk just me tho

and thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
sounds like you should sell your '84 and get something else you won't have to worry about needing so many modifications.

If the Jeeps having front mounted shackles was so great a lot of companies would not have made a ton of money selling shackle reversal kits.

Front mounted shackles have a tendency to wander more, have more bump steer, increase chances for bent springs..sounds good to me

Reinventing the wheel here when it doesn't need to happen--JMO
ya well see thats what i was wondering. and i thank you for your words

Quick Reply: shackle reverse