84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Painting Interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Interior

I've got a 1985 SR5 4x4 pickup with brown interior and Power Windows. Here comes the issue. My power windows are getting weak, and I'm worried that they will fail pretty soon. Either way, I'm looking to convert to a set of doors with manual windows. My problem is that apparantly brown wasn't a popular color for the interior in my area of the country. I want the doors to match the interior, so how hard would it be to paint the interior plastic (dash, center console, etc.) to match the doors (Most I find are gray.) I want to know which paint will work best and about how hard the tear down and reassembly of everything is.

I'm not too patient with little plastic clips breaking, so it might be better if I just deal with non-functioning windows or mismatched doors.

On a completely unrelated note: My dash is completely crack free, I hope to keep it that way.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help ahead of time.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts
Most body shops use a company called SEM, but I have read threads on here about plastic paints readily available at your local stores. I myself have never attempted to paint any interior piece due to most I have seen end up looking like crap especially if they are used a lot like a center console or door handles etc etc. search the topic, like I said lots of threads on painting interiors, good luck

Here is SEM's website this looks like your best option but not sure on the price.

http://semproducts.com/
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have done it several times and am very happy with the results. You have to use interior paint and everything has to be cleaned really well. You need to find the parts store that mixes paint and take in a sample for them to copy off of, glovebox, trim...

I go to Oriellys but AutoZone or some other parts store can do the same thing. Not all of the parts stores can custom mix paint. You will need to ask where their primary store is that mixes it is at. The store I have to go to is 30 miles away.

Scrub piece down with Simple Green and rinse well. Put on a coat of Adhesion Promoter and then a few coats of the interior paint.

Copied from my build..
I have some rear interior panels that are really bad. I asked my paint guy at Oriellys if he could make up some Interior Paint and he said yes. He needed a sample piece. I took one out of the Runner and he mixed it up. He can make it for a spray gun or rattle can. I asked for rattle can.

It was $20 for a can of red and $8 for adhesion. One of my panels was a grey panel. If I was doing it over again, I would of primed it but really happy how it turned out.

I did some test spots on the seat and carpet. Think I will do them when I get more paint.

For the Cranberry Red Interior it is paint code 3P1 or is what I had mixed.

Link for Grey Interiors. Death Cougars thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...on-how-167686/

The top right corner of the red panel is better then what the rest of the panel looked like. Some places were white from being faded so bad.

Finished panel next to the vinyl. The carpet I had used a off of the shelf paint along time ago to get it from Pink. Will go get some new clips and paint them. The panel is just setting there for now.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need to get new doors to convert to manual windows. You just need manual regulators and door panels from a manual truck. I did it on my 86 4runner and it was very easy.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 AM

I thought that since I did not have the vent window (therefore my window is a different size than a manual window) that the manual window parts wouldn't work?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

There is a bar/slide at the bottom of the regulator that attaches to the door. One is longer then the other. Just dont remember which. I might could getsome pics later on. Seems like I was going to make a regulator from one to the other and they have a heavy rivet or something so I wasnt able to make it work.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM

I used the VHT dye, and has not happy with the durability. The SEM stuff might be better.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM

We sell the VHT interior paint at the parts store I work at part time. I reccomend not doing on anything that will see a lot of wear. The reason for this is because paint scratches and chips. Most of the guys that do this use the adhesion promoter and some even use heat to cure it. I tried it out and found that using acetone lightly before painting as a way of cleaning the plastic helps. As with any paint job the prep is going to determine the quality of the finish. I reccomend doing it over a period of a couple days so that you can take your time and do not get burned out. Happy hunting
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input, I've decided for the time being to try and hunt down some brown interior door panels and try to convert to manual windows that way.

If anybody knows where I can find some door panels, let me know. I'm stalking the classifieds here, craigslist, and ebay at the moment.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is another option.
Link>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...panels-256546/
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redbayredneck
I thought that since I did not have the vent window (therefore my window is a different size than a manual window) that the manual window parts wouldn't work?
Manual windows came in both vent style and non vent style. My 4runner had non vented ones and my current truck has vented ones. just make sure you get the correct regulators and door panels for your style of window.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have manual windows with out the vent...

I also converted a vented window to remove the vent..

third... I want your power window parts! switches motor and all that good stuff.

maybe we can swap?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 AM

I am open to swapping, but I can't leave my truck without the window hardware for too long. I live in the rainy part of Florida, and I have no place to leave my truck where it is covered. So no windows would be bad for my interior lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Still think it would be easier to fix the power windows. Or get new/used motor assy's from a wrecking yard. Lot of times the tracks just need cleaning.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Still think it would be easier to fix the power windows. Or get new/used motor assy's from a wrecking yard. Lot of times the tracks just need cleaning.
I second that, a little cleaning, and at worst a new motor and you'll be all set. It wouldn't be any more expensive or difficult than swapping regulators. Brand new motors are around $50, and you can get junkyard ones cheaper than that, Camrys have the same part #s.

Only time I've swapped regulators was when the problem was in the switch/wiring, and that was before I started getting into electronics anyway. You don't realize how nice PWs are until they're gone
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM

I'll probably miss the passenger power window if I do the swap, but I hunt and mud on this truck, so water is likely to find its way in the doors (and onto the power window electronics) I just think that in the long run, power windows will cause more headaches than manual windows.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how many nights of left-open windows and gallons of water the power windows I still have in my '90 have been exposed to over 23 years and 255k miles, and they still work fine. It's just the 1st gen motors seemed to wear down a bit quicker in my experience. Just so you have all the facts before proceeding...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe during the summer then..