84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Installing Weber 34

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing Weber 34

So my 3 week long wait is finally over! My Weber 34/34 conversion kit finally came in the mail. JT Outfitters had it for $269 which seemed like a pretty sweet deal.

I'm taking this thing nice and slow. My dad and I just finished making block off plates for the EGR and I have removed all vacuum devices, except for the switching valves. I will be plugging all of them. I have also considered plugging the large side fitting that provides manifold vacuum to the steel vacuum lines. (which is now gone).

The device that routes air from the smog pump and exhaust copper lines to the aircleaner is also MIA (or on its way atleast). I will be cutting the copper line and pinching it, an old trick from the seventies, until I'm ready to order up a header from JT Outfitters.

My only concern so far is the way Weber mentions hooking up the throttle. I'd rather try and utilize the stock U-and-hook throttle setup.

Here are a couple of pictures of where I'm at... you can already get some idea of how much cleaner the intake manifold will look (which is still not done).

Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The kit didn't come with the plates to block off the EGR? What do they expect you to do?

I've looked at the same kit as well as others and they all state they are a complete kit.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure the jets are in the right place inside the carb. My buddy runs one of these (They aren't a real Weber FYI) and his came with the jets switched around. Ran like absolute crap until he figured that out.

The cable connection did give him problems, I forget what we used to actually rig it together but the included setup did fail and leave him stranded temporarily.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 12-06-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM

Good luck passing smog with that
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry...

Sorry everyone, I hate leaving a thread unfinished and I'm JUST NOW finishing it. The truck has been back on the road since about a week after last post date. So... to clarify,

1) 89silverpu: Emissions does not apply to me. 'Member my old blue extended cab? Well I gutted it, got a 4runner shell to fit some other SA truck frame, and used blue's guts to make it run. CHP registered it as a "SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION VEHICLE". Emissions does not apply. Heck, its not legally a Toyota anymore. So, no smog. Its insured at a 1974 Ford so, insurance went down.

2) Although I'm completely against the makeshift throttle assembly they have provided for me, it is actually serving its purpose very well.

3) The vacuum port at the base of the adapter? TOTAL JUNK. As I had foreseen, there is no way for it to get vacuum and thus is useless for the PCV valve.

4) The PCV valve is hooked up to a manifold vacuum port off to the side (one of the stock ones) and the oil breather is hooked up to the air cleaner.

5) As for the perfomance of the carburetor... it runs GREAT! With the slightly larger primary, I never have to engage the secondary unless I feel like being an a$$hole.

6) Choke works great.

7) The ONLY con thus far... Kragen has failed to supply me with a quality fuel pressure regulator and I am currently running without one. It has not effected the performance (THAT I KNOW OF), but the truck will diesel after shutoff if you do not allow it to idle for a few seconds prior to shutoff.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i hate you LMAO!!! post up some more pics dude!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
How would you say the JT Outfitters conversion kit is with regards to quality? I've been considering a Weber and their prices are good. However, I've read horror stories about their customer service. How did they treat you?

Do you know how your gas mileage has been effected? Good or bad?

BTW, I like that read valve cover!!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 AM

I know this post is a lil old. I put one of these carb on my toy. It does decent I still have a few bugs to work out but when you said you dont use your secondary you actually are its a dual syncro carb your getting both barrels all the time.