84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Hard Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Cold Start

I have an 85 4runner, 22re.

I have searched and can't seem to find a solution to my exact problem. The truck has a hard time starting when it is cold. By hard time I mean that it cranks fine, absolutely fine, every time. It just has trouble firing up. When it's cold, it will stutter until I give it just a little bit of gas. At the same time, the starter will continue to run even after the motor has started but only for a few seconds. The starter will continue to run even if I completely remove the key from the ignition. It just seems that the motor has to "clear it's throat" for 5 seconds then the starter stops and it runs fine.

When the truck is hot, as in, was recently running, or even if the ambient temperature is 70 degrees or more it has absolutely no problem starting. Fires up first crank every time with out me giving it gas.

Once the truck is started, whether it be hot or cold, it runs perfectly fine, no misses that I can feel, no power hesitation, no stalling. I am stumped as to why it has a hard time cold starting but not warm, and it has no running issues.

Here is a list of what I have already replaced:

Cold Start Injector
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Distributor Cap and Rotor
Rebuilt the Starter (replaced the contacts)
Checked the Coolant Temp Sensor for the Cold Start Injector, it's within spec
Checked any ECU codes, none
Timing
Sea Foamed Intake and Gas tank

I have not yet done anything with the (and not quite convinced they are suspect):

Ignitor
Ignition Switch
Fuel Pump
ECU

Any help appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by Pest; 06-07-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Hmm.. Nobody has any clue?

Also today I noticed that when in neutral and under very hard breaking at highway speed, it stalls. Still fires right back up though.

Could this be a hint that there's not enough pressure in the fuel line? Dieing fuel pump maybe? Clogged line?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Update: Sea Foamed the intake and adjusted the timing today. Turns out the timing was off by maybe 20 degrees. I won't really know if that solved it until all the sea foam clears out of it. After driving around about 20 miles at high RPM it still has a serious lack of power. Also dumped a little into the gas tank so it may be a week before I know if it had any effect on the starting issue.

Last edited by Pest; 06-07-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Still nobody knows?

Runs great after seafoam and adjusting the timing, but it still won't cold start nicely.

Anybody!?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check the cold start plug with a 12v test light? I think the howto is in the FSM. Have you looked at the air valve for cold starting? I messed around with mine and learned alot about it. I replaced an o ring under the flap/gate.I have an 85 22re truck.

You know what, I can't find where it said how to test the cold start plug.
What I remember is the 12v test lite comes on only while cranking with the clip grounded and the probe touching either one of the plug pins. Comes on at both pins and cranking.

Last edited by pcmentor; 06-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM

your fuel pump going bad. the check valev in the pumplet fuel to return to the tank not pressureing the system, also check the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It could be your fuel pump, but if your truck runs good after its started then it might not be that. pull your cold start injector out and clean it if its never been done, also check the thermal time switch, they can go bad and make your truck hard to start when its warm or cold. you also said your timming was off by 20 degrees, has your timming chain ever been replaced ?, it can cause alot of the problems your having if its stretched out and throwing the timming off.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pcmentor
Did you check the cold start plug with a 12v test light? I think the howto is in the FSM. Have you looked at the air valve for cold starting? I messed around with mine and learned alot about it. I replaced an o ring under the flap/gate.I have an 85 22re truck.
Never thought of that, I'll check the plug and wiring. Not sure what the air valve for cold starting is...?

Originally Posted by brownbagg
your fuel pump going bad. the check valev in the pumplet fuel to return to the tank not pressureing the system, also check the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail
I'll check them, and maybe blow some compressed air through the lines while I'm at it, might be clogged.

Originally Posted by myyota
It could be your fuel pump, but if your truck runs good after its started then it might not be that. pull your cold start injector out and clean it if its never been done, also check the thermal time switch, they can go bad and make your truck hard to start when its warm or cold. you also said your timming was off by 20 degrees, has your timming chain ever been replaced ?, it can cause alot of the problems your having if its stretched out and throwing the timming off.
Already replaced the cold start injector and checked the time switch, it's in spec. Never thought it would be the chain... being a chain I figured they never go bad unless it breaks. I'll have to look into it

Thanks for the helpful guesses!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Auxillary Air Valve is below the intake manifold. It raises the idle when engine is cold.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Already replaced the cold start injector and checked the time switch, it's in spec. Never thought it would be the chain... being a chain I figured they never go bad unless it breaks. I'll have to look into it

Thanks for the helpful guesses![/QUOTE]

If your timming chain has more than 100.000 miles on it then it needs to be replaced, on a 22RE engine if you let the timming chain go to long it will wear through the water jacket on the timming chain cover, and thats a bad thing when it happens. So do check your timming chain and guides and replace them if needed. you can buy a complete timming chain kit for around 100. - 130 dollars depending on were you look.