84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup **DIALUP BEWARE**

Ok, here is my thread to begin the preperation for the install of the 5" Lift. I plan on making this as informative and detailed as I can without being too long winded. The date we have scheduled is April 21st, 2007. I know Navyredneck and Wifesaysimadumbass have excellent threads already going, however I want to document this for my purposes and to also provide a level of entertainment for Yotatech Members!

I have gotten 95% of the parts needed. Within the next day I will post up some pictures of all the parts and pieces I already have acquired. I have yet to get shocks, bumpstops and shock hoops.

I have decided against running Bilstein 5125 or 5150's right now. Most of what I have reasearched is they are a GREAT shock (I personally have run them in the past on a pre-runner '94 DX 4x4.) However, one of the things people have written is how firm they ride. They are set with firm valving. I am opting for Doetsch Tech MV12 shocks as they are valved soft. I will be ordering those in about a week. They come in 8", 9", 10" and 13" vs. the max 14" with the Billy's, (info is collapsed = 18.00" and extended = 31.00") I don't think the extra 1" will make a considerable difference, not to mention the bumpstops will be bottoming out about that point anyways. I am going to go with the 12" shock hoops and get the 13" Doetsch Tech's. Hopefully this won't be an issue. I'd rather be left with an inch than short an inch (at least that's what she said! )

For those curious about the MV12's Here is a Link - I have run the MV12's as well on that same pre-runner DX I had. I loved the way they rode!!

One question I have is I may consider running Dual Shocks up front. Does anyone know of a dual eyelet style shock hoop available for the SFA Toyotas? I have found Sky Manufacturing has a dual shock hoop available and I am going to call and find out some more info on them. How has people's experiences been with Sky?

Keep your eye's peeled for the on-going preperation and install of the lift. Oh man, can I hardly wait!! It's going to be Christmas in April for this guy!!

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 03-29-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
cool .. get at er '
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 PM

The Pieces before the Process

Here are the parts. I am still waiting to order the shock hoops, shocks and Bumpstops! I know y'all have probably seen hundreds of these, however these are mine.....

Here are the springs:

As you can see the rear springs have the shim already on from Super Lift and those overload's are pretty beefy too!

Here is the Shackles, U-Bolt Flip & Drop Hanger:

Cross Over Steering

When I get the remaining parts, I will post those pictures up as well.....

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 03-28-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Now that I've stopped drooling I'll tell you that those are some beautiful pictures. Now you have some work to do! Please make lots of pictures and be sure to tell us what you do wrong. I think I've done good so far with being honest about all my stupidity...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by navyredneck
Now that I've stopped drooling I'll tell you that those are some beautiful pictures. Now you have some work to do! Please make lots of pictures and be sure to tell us what you do wrong. I think I've done good so far with being honest about all my stupidity...
Will do Navy (and make sure you feel comfortable to drool as much as you like!!) Thanks for the verbal support too!!! I plan on taking a butt load of pictures as we do the lift. I will not be able to post as we go, more so post after the lift is done! I have been drooling over everyone elses lifted rigs, now I have robbed Peter to pay Paul to get this stuff. I have no regrets and so far it only has set me back $930 for everything you see pictured to date!! I think I am going to run Dual shocks at each front corner. I want to have a comfortable ride with good flex! I am sure there will be several things that will slow us down and other things we'll probably do wrong. I, like you Navy, am an honest man and will admit when I do something stupid or wrong. I try and help others from making the same mistakes I made. LEt's just hope they are few and far between!!

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 03-29-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Thumbs up The Candidate for the project.....

Here is the Runner as she is 3/29/07! I have completed the rattle can primer and also repainted the top Flat Black. I used Rustolium by Krylon. The tires and Rims were a Craigslist purchase - $220 and I bee-lined for the house and put them on that night!

Pretty soon I won't have to have two different postings with pictures of the lift and of the truck. Soon they will be 'married' as one!!

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 04-12-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 PM

What's the reason for installing the drop hanger on the '85?

What tires are you planning on running?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by westy44runner
What's the reason for installing the drop hanger on the '85?

What tires are you planning on running?
What's up Westy!! How's Ben doin?

I plan on running 33x12.50 15's eventually, then I will consider going with 35's. Right now I have 325/60 15 BFG MT KO's on it.

The drop hanger has to be run with the Trail Gear front springs to allow for
proper angle of the front Shackle due to the longer springs (47") so they don't contact the frame.

These are 4" springs, the Drop hanger will add an 1" more.

I am just going along with the recommendations from the manufacturer regarding the installation of these. This is the description I had of the springs when I bought them:

This is a new set of 4? lift leaf springs for solid axle Toyota pickup or 4Runner. Crossover steering and long travel shocks are highly recommended when using these super flexible springs. Springs feature full military wrap on the front and ?? wrap on the rear of each spring. Springs are 47" long as measured along the top leaf. Each spring pack has 6 leaves. Pin to center of front mount is 22" and pin to center of the shackle mount is 25".

I picked them up off of eBay for 1/3 of the retail price.

PM me if you'd like to head out after I get the lift on!

John
Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM

Gotcha. Tough to beat the deal you got on those...good find.

SKY sells dual shock hoops...
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/suspension2.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Yet, I was looking at the Sky Dual Hoops. I mentioned in the initial post that I wondered if anyone had feedback on Sky's quality of product as I have never used them before. The hoops look good in the picture, however I was wondering about the construction. I liked the look of these however I haven't been able to find any similar. You can see the basic design in this shot:

Are these what the Sky Dual Hoops would look like? These hoops look a bit different (not as wide.)

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 03-29-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Those look like the old style downey type of hoops which I am sure you can still obtain.

SKY makes good stuff.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Yeah, Downey's are like about $200 for a pair (I wrote the guy who's selling that on eBay and he said they were Downey) and Sky's are $90. I think the Sky is the route to go. That coupled with 4 Doetsch Tech 13" should ride pretty decent. Especially with those nice flexy TG springs!

John
Old 04-01-2007, 08:55 AM

Are there any member with Dual Shock Hoops on a 1984-1985 or SAS '86+ Toyota? I was curious to see other peoples set ups if you were running duals up front. Additionally, what have you liked/disliked about the duals? I looked through members rigs and didn't see any that stood out to me.....

Thanks!
John
Old 04-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Better not leave that truck with only primer on it long as it'll soak up moisture and then your truck will rust from the inside out.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Better not leave that truck with only primer on it long as it'll soak up moisture and then your truck will rust from the inside out.

My neighbor has a paint system I will use to lay down a Solar Yellow paint. I have some more detail work to do to the body first before paint.

Honestly though, living in Phoenix the humidity rarely gets over 25% from Spring to Fall. We haven't even met our annual average rainfall. I think it rains maybe once every 60+ days here, especially now that the warmer months are here! As of today, 4/1/07 the humidity is only in the low 20%'s and the annual rainfall has only been 1.54". Gotta love that arrid climate!

John

Last edited by LUV24BY; 04-01-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Downey double shock setup -

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568349
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote for no double shocks up front. Seems like there's not that much weight to require all that dampening. Are you crawling or pre-running? Besides - dual shocks up front is so late 80's.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:08 PM

LOL - Late '80s!! Being in Phoenix, AZ there is a lot of washes and wide open 'Raveens' that have whoops and washboards in. Seeing as I have two small kids (3 & 5) therew won't be rock crawling over 3.5+ trails for some time. The realistic part is going somewhat at a good pace in the washes and over washboard roads. Due to the lack of rain, the dirt roads wash board out easily and it is hell on the Arse. Hence the dual shocks. I would install them for the dampening aspect and not for the 'Mullet' era "Look what I could afford!" If I was going that route I would just run Fox series shocks with the seperate res like all the Super Duty guys do (Then just drive it on pavement!)

John
Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sleeper
I vote for no double shocks up front. Seems like there's not that much weight to require all that dampening. Are you crawling or pre-running? Besides - dual shocks up front is so late 80's.
Thanks for the heads up on those Sleeper!! I posted a reply and hope for some pictures!

John
Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM

I am not sure if the double shock deal with be much of an advantage or how noticeable it will be. Most solid axle Toys, and swapped trucks have only a few inches of up travel and I think you will find running the desert washes that you will quickly bottom out, and frequently.

Instead of spending money on extra shocks and the hoop, have you considered running air bumps in place of poly bumpstops. I would think that would be money much better spent. As of late, I have seen a couple pairs on Pirate for $200.

Quick Reply: Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup