84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

aftermarket headers/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket headers/exhaust

i have an 85 runner and am looking to put an aftermarket parts into the exhaust system. not looking for anything too loud, trying to keep it fairly simple. anybody have any good or bad luck with anything specific??? welding it on is no problem
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM

i put a Pace Setter header on my 85 22RE and one of the tubes hits the block near the bell housing. i had to put a dent in the tube so the header would seal up to the cylinder head. My brother also put the same header on his 84 22R and had the exact same problem. I would not recommend unless your going cheap and don't mind puting a dent in your new header.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM

does anybody know if an lc engineering header bolts right in on an 85 runner. i am looking on their website and i see street and pro race. im not really sure what one to be interested in. any help? from the sounds of it i should be looking at lce and doug thorny
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Love my LCE header. You have a 22re like me so it should bolt up fine.

Street i think....pro may not be CARB legal if i recall
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 PM

answered another big question philbert! wasnt sure if it was cal legal. looks like street comes with everything you need including o2 sensor extension, but im seeing something about EGR ports in the head? im reading this on a blog from 2002 so maybe they fixed that?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 AM

Not sure about plates ....mine didn't come with. It's ca legal and they call it out on the site....just call them
Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I'll chime in on this one as I just got done doing the same thing. I bought an out of state '85 4Runner and am getting it ready for smog. I replaced the PaceSetter header with an LCE header. Street legal. Cost $400 + tax/shipping. Sweet header so far. We had to remove 2 stock heat shields (they unbolt very easily) in order to make it fit properly. We're in the process of adjusting the exhaust to fit the new header as the LCE is longer than the PS header was. I also put an old school Cherry Bomb for my new muffler. It's a straight through and makes a little more noise than I wanted, but only when stepping on the gas pretty hard. It sounds great at cruising speed and was fairly cheap at only $50 from Summit Racing.

I'll be posting pics of the setup in my "repair thread" when it's all done. If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Last edited by ErikJeanna; 10-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
These headers are nice, smog legal too.
http://www.wabfab.org/component/opti...e,shop.browse/

:wabbit2:
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM

This is the one I got and will fit your 85 22RE truck.

http://www.lceperformance.com/Street...-p/1041036.htm

It was $375 a few years ago and seems to have gone up.....

You may want to get new studs too (LCE sells them), and be careful when removing old ones/inserting new ones - I ended up stripping one and had to helicoil it. I also had ordered the Pro Flow exhaust from them...they sent me the wrong one and I had a hell of a time exchanging it - they wanted me to pay part of return shipping, and then would not ship me the replacement until they received the first one from me....I'd cut off my old exhaust so I was tooling around town with the header only for about a month!!

It's a good header so far and expensive, and like I said, customer service left a little to be desired.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
This is the one I got and will fit your 85 22RE truck.

http://www.lceperformance.com/Street...-p/1041036.htm

It was $375 a few years ago and seems to have gone up.....

You may want to get new studs too (LCE sells them), and be careful when removing old ones/inserting new ones - I ended up stripping one and had to helicoil it. I also had ordered the Pro Flow exhaust from them...they sent me the wrong one and I had a hell of a time exchanging it - they wanted me to pay part of return shipping, and then would not ship me the replacement until they received the first one from me....I'd cut off my old exhaust so I was tooling around town with the header only for about a month!!

It's a good header so far and expensive, and like I said, customer service left a little to be desired.
I found a place in CA that has studs that are longer on the backside, whcih gets you a little further into the head. I will try to find the name. I found them on Google searching for the Toyota metric studs whatever size they are.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM

'85 4runner exhaust

I did quite a bit of reading on the exhaust subject recently, and Yotatech helped me a lot so I'll contribute to this. I decided on the stock manifold mostly due to the high cost of headers and the questionable performance gains. I ran 2.25" pipe to a Magnaflow muffler and tucked it up where the spare tire once went. No cat, and piping is straight back except it dumps down at the tip, hidden up behind the bumper.

I'm really happy with this setup so far. The truck is actually a bit quieter and it has a deeper tone. And it doesn't smell nearly as bad w/o a cat as folks made it seem like it would! I haven't had a lot of chance yet to test the power at different RPMs, conditions, and such, but initially it seems like an overall increase.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM

I have to agree with ryan above...I have put headers on three 22re's always hoping for a little bit more oomph, but it never happened. By the time you are done they are actually pretty costly. I notice the noise factor from the cab as well. The header itself just makes a noisy little motor noisier...damn, I am getting old! HaHa. I have actually just bought a pristine stock manifold and am going to try it for grins. My.02 cents...YMMV
Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Id go with the LCE header. Seems the best quality. Do not dump your exhaust under the vehicle...unless you like to smell exhaust in the cab.
Exit it out like factory.

Muffler....seems flowmaster 40 series is really popular as well as the old cherry bomb.