84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 front axle? did I do it right? any help appriciated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 front axle? did I do it right? any help appriciated!!!

I just finished building my 85 SFA that I put on my 88 4runner. the only thing I did different was put on a set of 84 LC vented rotors and a set of 1 1/2" wheel spacers as I was told was what I needed to match my 51" rear. My problem is now that I have it all together my front axle is 1" wider than my rear. Has anyone else run into this? I'm measuring from inner lip of wheel rims. Anybody?????
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
take off spacers?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I presume you did the V6 calipers? 1" wider in the front is hardly noticeable since its only 1/2" per side. I did the IFS rear assembly, V6 calipers, LC rotors and 1.5" spacers on the front. My front might be SLIGHTLY wider than the rear, but it doesn't show. I wouldn't sweat it, but that's just me...
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Most vehicle manufacturers actually make the track width wider on the front of the vehicle (especially trucks/suv's/longer wheelbase vehicles). And it's actually recomended when building a trail rig.

A Wider front end will help the rear tires follow the same path through tighter turns.

In conclusion. Don't worry about it. haha!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 PM

if you're really worried about the looks, just put wheel spacers all around like i did...blue loctite and check torque at every oil change and you shouldn't have to worry much.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 AM

I'm not worried about looks my concern is the 85 sfa is 3" shorter than my 86-95 rear. so by putting on 1 1/2 spacers should get me the same width front and rear. What I've read on all the forum sites. yotatech. muddin.com Pirate 4x4, marlin ect everyone has done what I did using 1 1/2" spacers. I'm going out shortly to look it over again it's outside and a bit chillie still. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen when they did theirs. I did a total axle and hub rebuild and somethings not right, thus to me unsafe!
Thanks for the replies. Keep em commin I know someone has this answer.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by urbanarcher
I'm not worried about looks my concern is the 85 sfa is 3" shorter than my 86-95 rear. so by putting on 1 1/2 spacers should get me the same width front and rear. What I've read on all the forum sites. yotatech. muddin.com Pirate 4x4, marlin ect everyone has done what I did using 1 1/2" spacers. I'm going out shortly to look it over again it's outside and a bit chillie still. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen when they did theirs. I did a total axle and hub rebuild and somethings not right, thus to me unsafe!
Thanks for the replies. Keep em commin I know someone has this answer.
Did you measure them to begin with? Before you started? Like it was stated earlier, it may come wider in the front from the factory. I can't recall. Anyway, if its slightly wider stock, and you increase the front and rear by 3" equally, the front will still be slightly wider.

Is everything tight? Bearings in properly? Spacers seated properly? (Don't loctite them at first, torque them to spec, run them a little, remove and then loctite and torque. If you re torque after Loctite, you break the Loctite & its pointless). Without pics or any idea of how you built it, what kind of experience you have, etc, we have no idea if its built right and safe.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Hey rokblok! Where in the dirty south are you? I'm in S.C. I am and always will be a ford man first and have built many engines and suspension lifted a couple done bearings rotors ect you name it I've done it but this is my first experience with yotas and their sfa. I'll post pics when I get someone to help me load them here that I'm not experienced at..lol. I have the body pulled off, I'm building this from the ground up so I'm sitting hear with just the frame and axles and installing the TG front and rear suspension kits 4" front 5" rear since it's a 4runner and I'll usually have gear in the rear. I did measure before I started and thought I needed 1" spacers but was told by some of the top guys I needed 1 1/2" Are there different length front axles on an 85? my 88 runner had a bent front frame in front so I bought a rusted out 85 pickup and cut off the front and welded it to the back of my 88 because the 85s rear was to rusted just to change mounts. after I type this I'm going to call Marlin Crawler to see if they have an answer. I researched and researcher before this build and have all bearings correct preload good birfs cleaned,greased even ordered the marlin inner seals instead of the TG. I did use the TG china bearings in the kit I wish they would use better and wish I knew dave's offroad had a better ball wiper seal and I think the rock rings should be thicker. I've already torqued and thread locked. it wasn't until I put on the tires that I discovered the 1" difference. even if I have to change some things thats OK it sucks but OK, I want this rig to be right before my test abuse. One thing since I just remembered this to anyone reading this looking for headers. I bought some stainless for my 22re called obx new on e bay shipped for $180.00 they look good but wont be installed until my suspension is done and I add my engine and tranny. Everything will be rebuilt and put in before I drop the body back on. I've been taking pics and learning a lot and will be posting my own build thread to hopefully help the next guy of what works and what doesn't
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Depending on your wheel choice you may also need the spacers to allow your wheels to clear the calipers.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Yeah dropzone I needed at least 1" spacers for my tie rod to clear anyway. I'm only running 32x10.5x16s. I just talked with brendon at marlin he said I'll track better with a slightly wider front and that's good but the big answer I was looking for was to make sure it's gonna be a little wider so I know I did it correctly. I just measured another 88 4runner with ifs I have in the yard and the front is about 1/4" wider. I'm at this moment going out to measure the 85 rear axle I still have and see what I have. Can anyone with a stock 84 or 85 check theirs? just measured the 85 rear and 85 sfa hub to hub "not" the spacers but where the rims make contact and the front is 2" wider "stock". I also measured my Bronco and it is about 1 1/2" wider than the rear so maybe I'm good. I was going on what someone told me that they should be the same or I have a problem. Will anyone reading this measure what they have minus spacers. as long as all the rims are the same just check inside rim lip to inside rim lip where the tire bead is so nobody has to take any tires off. Like they would anyway..lol
Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM

for anyone that cares I just found a write up on greatlakes 4x4 with toyota axle measurements. sfa 79-85 55.5" rear 86-95 58" so if my math is right that's 2 1/2" difference. so with 3" worth of spacers 1.5 on each side I should be 1/2" wider in the front. now I've been measuring by myself with the bend in the tape measure at the reading point and it's been looking like 3/4" or 7/8" wider I've been rounding saying 1" I'll wait until I can get some help holding one end and i'll use a string to measure with then measure the string. Gotta be sure everything is right before I hit the road.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM

I used to live just west of Augusta, but now reside near Huntsville, AL. Had to get out of the real dirty South...
Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 AM

Yeah everyone calls Augusta Discusta. Looks like my fear of doing my axle wrong is unfounded. I found something on yotatech posted 5-10-2006 where someone found axle measurement on off road.com and 79-85 fronts are 56" and 86-95 rears are 58". seems like everyone agrees rears are 58" but some have those fronts at 55.5" and some 56" so using 1.5" spacers on a sas has your front 1/2"-1" wider than the rear. Now I can rest easy for an hour and start my rear kit. Heck this project is only going to take a year to finish but measure twice, three times if needed, cut once and always double/triple check your work.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM

My front axle has the vented rotors and 4 piston calipers with 1.5" spacers with some 80s chevy wheels on 35x12.5 tires and to be honest it looks to be same width to the IFS rear, i did have 1" spacers from the previous owner and with that setup you could notice the fact it was narrower.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Well mud-dog27 if you would measure your inside rims front and rear and let me know if you have a difference and if so how much.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM

Ok its miserable out right now so not grabbing mounting surface to surface at the moment, but just popped under there and bead to bead is

rear 51"
front 52"

rear axle is stock
front axle is an '85 with the vented rotors and 1.5" spacers

wheels are stock 80s GMC stealies

looking at it from the front is not noticeable, yet i could have sworn it was more noticeable with just the 1" spacers., the extra half inch per side did get rid of my full lock leaf spring rub.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Cool! Thanks for checking. hopefully this thread will help others wondering the same thing.