84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22r, won't start but runs fine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 22r, won't start but runs fine?

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1985 22r carb. Cali emissions truck that has 200k+ miles on it. Let me begin by saying I'm a little new to the wild world of carbs, so this may be a generic issue.

After looking through the FSM and many board posts, I was able to find the correct diagram and carb exploded views. I replaced some of the vacuum hoses, new fuel filter, and rebuilt the carb.

Prior to doing all this, the truck would barely start and barely run, only with some coaxing and fast accelerator pressing/depressing. Now, however, I have an entirely new issue. I am unable to get the truck to start on it's own, and it will only start when I dump some gas into the carb. When I do this, the truck blubbers and chugs for about 5 seconds, then smooths out enough that I was able to adjust the idle so it runs great (once started, of course). I can drive it around all day like this. If I turn off the truck, it will not start back up no matter how long it sits. I have to dump some gas into the carb and start the fun all over again.

Just for a little background on my intentions, I'm planning on taking the motor/tranny out and sticking into a '59 Riley. I'd like to get it starting and running as well as a 200k+ mile 22r can run prior to doing the dry fitting into the Riley. I'd rather keep the 22r as stock as possible, unless of course there is a valid reason for swapping out or removing parts.

Any suggestions on my starting problem would be very welcome. Thanks!!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Yep, there's gas in the bowl window, 1/2 full. Would the float being stuck allow it to run normally after initial start?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM

you have to pump the gas a couple times before you turn it over youll have to do this with any carb vehicle
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it sounds like the accelerator pump has a problem. either it has a hole/leak or the passage is plugged. try working the throttle while looking down the throat of the carb. there should be a strong stream of gas .if it doesn't shoot a stream the passage from the bowl to the acc. pump is plugged or the passage from the pump to the top of the carb is blocked. if the carb was not cooked out it could be trash causeing the problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Pumping the gas did not do the trick. That makes sense about the accelerator pump. Would the solution to that be to take it apart again and have it boiled out?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM

swampfox-

I pumped the acc plunger on the passenger side of the carb and no fuel of any kind is coming out anywhere. The fuel level in the bowl also did not lower after 20-30 times of pumping the gas, which would seem to also indicate the passage is clogged. Is there a quick way to remedy this... I'm really just trying to get it to start and run before I pull the motor.

Thanks!

-MDR
Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try pulling the acc. pump and make sure there is fuel in the pump area. if there is you can pull the top of the carb off and shoot carb cleaner through the passage. sometimes it takes a few tries to get it cleaned out. just take your time and lift the top straight up and watch the gasket for sticking. also check the acc. pump for pin holes while it is off.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM

SUCCESS!! Thank you swampfox, that was exactly the problem. The brass (?) nozzle between the channel that receives the acc. pump discharge and the choke barrel was clogged. I was able to take the top off the carb, shoot a little carb cleaner in it, and that's all it took. Thanks again!

-MDR
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM

For anyone else with this problem, this worked for me, so give it a shot:

I had no fuel coming from the nozzle for startup, upon inspection of the boot of the accelerator pump, I found it had a crack in it (not sure that this makes any difference) but it led me to replace the accelerator diaphragm and boot using parts from a rebuild kit. Upon removal of the diaphragm, all the fuel leaked out of the bowl. I then filled the bowl back up using B-12 Chemtool (Fill it up through the big nozzle in the other barrell). Started it up and let it run for a couple minutes, and then shut it off. The next morning, upon pumping the accelerator, SQUIRT SQUIRT from the nozzle - and all without taking the carb apart AT ALL! Sure this may be a temp fix until it clogs again, but it saved a TON of time. Hoping that regular sea foam treatments will keep it clear in the future.