84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84 pickup charge problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 84 pickup charge problem

i have a 84 pickup 4x4, it has the 22r with the external regulated altinator. at random times the truck will stop charging. both the charge light and the brake light come on. sometimes it won't charge for 50 miles, the next time for 2 miles. i got it checked out by toyota and the told me to replace the regulator and altinator, so i did. the same thing happened, so i went back and they replaced both on warranty, still the same thing. sometimes i'll be able to drive for weeks before this happens, then the next time days. but eventually it does charge again. any one have any thoughts on what the problem might be. it's killed my battery a couple of times already. i carry a spare with me just in case.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By the external regulator, are you referring to the 'IC Regulator' located on the driver side fender?

The charging system is very basic really and you've covered the major points.

As you're driving try and monitor what goes on as charging fails and remedies. See if there is a consistent pattern. It could be as simple as a positive wire grounding out to steel, or a ground losing contact, etc. and sharp turning affects it.

It could also be a bad battery (and perhaps) a failing charge-light-relay.

My only other suggestion is that you investigate how the voltage regulators operate on these trucks (I don't know, never had a problem). Older style regulators are a points-contact setup (similar to old distributors). There are actually adjustable "gaps" between these points in voltage regulators (like spark plugs for example) that must be set.

However, that is IF the regulator still operates in such an ancient fashion. If it does, your FSM or even maybe your Chilton's book should have all of that... You do have those RIGHT?!?! There lifesavers!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 AM

Oh, try checking the fusible links!

Ok, I looked through a 1985 FSM and noticed this little bit. The two "big fuses" are fusible links and the smaller, circled fuses are for engine and charge or something:

Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 AM

you might check the grounds, i cleaned up and replaced one of mine this weekend and it charges great and starts faster.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by taconasty
you might check the grounds, i cleaned up and replaced one of mine this weekend and it charges great and starts faster.
Yep, sounds like you are having a grounding issue. Remove the ground battery cable at the frame side and wire brush the hell out of it, the spot on the frame where is it supposed to ground and the bolt that holds it on. If there is ANY corrosion, paint, dirt, etc. It will cause that issue. Make sure your cable end at the battery is holding properly. The bolt will tighten, but still not be holding the post properly.

Keep us posted
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Exclamation

i've checked every ground that i could find, cleaned it and re attached. i checked the battery terminals. everything seams fine. fuses are all good. i tested all the wires that i was told to by the hanes manual. everything seams to check out. i'm stumped. as far as the pattern as it happens, it's completely random. i'm driving speed limit for a while and it happens, when i start the truck, it sometimes happens. and it turns back on whenever it want's. maybe i should replace the battery? it's the only thing i have not changed that i know of. any other suggestions please let me know. at this point i'll try anything.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by abrelm
i've checked every ground that i could find, cleaned it and re attached. i checked the battery terminals. everything seams fine. fuses are all good. i tested all the wires that i was told to by the hanes manual. everything seams to check out. i'm stumped. as far as the pattern as it happens, it's completely random. i'm driving speed limit for a while and it happens, when i start the truck, it sometimes happens. and it turns back on whenever it want's. maybe i should replace the battery? it's the only thing i have not changed that i know of. any other suggestions please let me know. at this point i'll try anything.
found the problem. they gave me the wrong voltage regulator. there are 2 different ones for my truck. the one that works is part #27700-38113. seems to be working so far.