84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22RE won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The planks are mounted to the shackles rokblok. A friend of mine and I used two u-bolts on both the front and rear plank. Originally I was going to just leave it as it was, but I kept thinking about how high the front bumper sat. And the rear doesn't even really have a bumper. I figured I might get pulled over so I looked up the bumper height laws here and went out to a Lowes store and had the plank cut in half. The plank was cheap and works for now. I would like something in a tube bumper design that sits low enough to be a somewhat effective bumper without looking too low and out of place on the truck. You can also see the wiring to the rear lights hanging a bit on both sides. Once I get the bed re-done, I'll fix up the wiring too so it looks better and is not out in the elements so much.

Do you think that having the planks against the shackles could cause that? It does not buck under 20 mph.

I went to the gas station today and had to turn the steering almost all the way to get it to the pump. I can really feel those welded diffs when I'm at full turn. I don't like doing that though, not if I don't have to.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
With it being welded, that will make it very unstreetable. The 5.29s work great from what I hear on 35 inch and larger so if you went down in tire size you probably wont get much more then 55mph.

I wouldnt know about the planks against the shackles if it would cause it to buck. With the long shackle mounts, looks to me like that could cause a lot of slop and add to the bucking situation.

Changing out your third member on these is a piece of cake on the rear. Undo your break lines, 4 bolts to the hub, slide the axle out and them remove the bolts that hold the third member in. You wont even need to remove your brakes. Not sure about the front.

I always liked some of the factory striping they put on some of their trucks, yours looks great.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM

i have 5.29s with stock tires and it works great.

Truck hits 60mph at about 3000 rpms. 70 at 3300. It's not bad at all.
i can see how it would suck if you had a loud exhaust, but with stock exhaust it's pretty decent.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Thanks Terry. The stripes are in pretty good shape. There are a few dings and a bit of rust here and there on my truck. I'll get that addressed when I can. My first step is getting a stock gas tank and fuel pump set-up put in. The external makes for a bit of a hard start. I have to push the gas in a little bit while cranking to get it to turn over.

LT1 - I'm not really sure if I have 5.29 gears or not, but the way it will only go 55ish mph on the highway I figured they have to be higher gearing. I'm certain that they are at least 5.29 if not higher. If you say you are getting up to 70 then I might have higher gearing. Then again, since I have slightly larger tires my speedometer might not be accurate. What engine do you have? I have an 85 22RE.

Do you think 4.10s will work best with 33 inch tires? Or should I eventually get some 4.56s?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 PM

i got 4.56's in my truck, running 35's no problem. i get over 60mph and get decent fuel consumption.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4Nmissile
Thanks Terry. The stripes are in pretty good shape. There are a few dings and a bit of rust here and there on my truck. I'll get that addressed when I can. My first step is getting a stock gas tank and fuel pump set-up put in. The external makes for a bit of a hard start. I have to push the gas in a little bit while cranking to get it to turn over.

LT1 - I'm not really sure if I have 5.29 gears or not, but the way it will only go 55ish mph on the highway I figured they have to be higher gearing. I'm certain that they are at least 5.29 if not higher. If you say you are getting up to 70 then I might have higher gearing. Then again, since I have slightly larger tires my speedometer might not be accurate. What engine do you have? I have an 85 22RE.

Do you think 4.10s will work best with 33 inch tires? Or should I eventually get some 4.56s?
at what rpm are you at 55mph? i have a 85 22re...speedo will be off, you need to verify with GPS. At 55mph my speedo shows right at 70mph i believe, thats with 5.29 and stock size tire.
Is your your truck just running out of steam? i can easily go 80+ mph, although th rpms will be nice and high heeh
Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM

I wish I knew the RPMs, but I have a carb gauge cluster. My truck came out of the factory with a carb 22R, but was swapped to a diesel at some point. I bought it off of a guy in Indiana and swapped in a same year 22RE. I have an EFI gauge cluster that I picked up from a junkyard 86 truck that I will eventualy put in, but for now I am unsure of the engine speed. It will hit a bit over 55 mph (on my cluster) when going downhill, but when going uphill, even a slight incline, it tends to drop in speed. There have been a few times when I have had to downshift to 4th to keep my speed up at 50-55 mph (on my cluster). Not very often though.

I do get passed by a lot of people on the highway drive to and from work which has a speed limit of 65/55, but then again, there are a lot of people who speed on the highway I take to work and back. Otherwise, I could say if I was going closer to a specific speed.

It might be just that it is running out of steam, but I wonder what might cause that? I don't think there would be too much wind resistance.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4Nmissile
I wish I knew the RPMs, but I have a carb gauge cluster. My truck came out of the factory with a carb 22R, but was swapped to a diesel at some point. I bought it off of a guy in Indiana and swapped in a same year 22RE. I have an EFI gauge cluster that I picked up from a junkyard 86 truck that I will eventualy put in, but for now I am unsure of the engine speed. It will hit a bit over 55 mph (on my cluster) when going downhill, but when going uphill, even a slight incline, it tends to drop in speed. There have been a few times when I have had to downshift to 4th to keep my speed up at 50-55 mph (on my cluster). Not very often though.

I do get passed by a lot of people on the highway drive to and from work which has a speed limit of 65/55, but then again, there are a lot of people who speed on the highway I take to work and back. Otherwise, I could say if I was going closer to a specific speed.

It might be just that it is running out of steam, but I wonder what might cause that? I don't think there would be too much wind resistance.
have you checked your timing? You should be able to easily go over 55 mph, esp if you had 5.29 gears. Only reason i can think off you cant go faster then 55 is that you have stock gears, + those big tires, and the motor is not running right. (timing off will make your truck lose ALL kinds of power)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM

I have not checked the timing. The engine sounds good, and it drives good, just not that fast. I always thought it was the other way around; the higher the gears the slower you go. I had a friend with an old 78 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with 2.22 (or something low like that, they were in the 2s anyway) and that thing would run like you wouldn't believe. The engine in my truck came out of a yotatech members 4Runner who said it had been running well. Perhaps I have even higher gears than I know of. The previous owner didn't have any info for me about the gears, just that he had welded them. My question would then be; does anyone know of a gear set for these 85ish year Toyota trucks/4Runners that would only go around 55 mph? And slows the truck down when a strong wind hits it on the highway making me sometimes have to downshift to 4th to where even semi-trucks pass by me because my speed won't stay up in 5th gear ...breath. Ah, I feel better. Seriously though, what do you all think?

Last edited by 4Nmissile; 01-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clarify, your speed is limited by lack of power to go faster, not from a lack of engine RPMs? Essentially it's gutless, and not rev happy.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM

There are times when I'm heading home from work and I'll have it in 5th and it tends to lose power to where I have to downshift. I had a guy follow me home the other day, and when we stopped he said he was going 60 mph the whole way, whereas my speedometer was showing the 50 mph that I normally go. Since my gauge has read a bit over 55 then I can only assume that the truck will go a bit over 65 true mph. The gearing is running it high though. I currently have the truck in a transmission shop because the front drive shaft snapped in half going home from work a few days ago. That explained the metal clanking sound I kept hearing all the time. Funny thing is that the shaft never looked as if it was going to snap, and it drove fine. Since the shaft needs replaced I am having the shop install the stock 4.10s that I have front and rear. I believe that with the 4.10s it will get a lot of it's power back. I think I will be able to go faster without running the engine hard.