84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22R engine question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R engine question - now with pics *

Alright, I have a 22R 84 pick-up with 104K miles. My grandfather gave me this truck with 98K on it. I'm reading and learning allot from this site but it seems like most people here are more into off-roading, suspension upgrades and increasing horsepower.

For me, I'm only concerned with getting the maximum life out of the vehicle and getting it running "right".

Since I just got the truck, Is there anything I should do right away, as far as checking for potential or "known" 22R problems or something I should be watching out for as something may fail? I know this is a really broad question, but I just want to get a better understanding of this motor and how long I should expect it to last if it's taken care of.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by meap; 01-11-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Nice find, 98k is nothing on these engines. Right now ive got almost 235k on mine! These engines are extremely reliable in their stock configuration, just make sure to do regular maintenance (eg oil changes, filters, etc) and they will live a long long time. There arent a whole lot of things to look for, other than checking the timing chain for slack and timing chain guides for wear. Having a properly working emissions (EGR) system can help increase longevity and mpg as well. Give the carb a good bath in carb cleaner and be sure to check the timing as well if you have a timing light. On older engines, sometimes it can help to change out the vacuum lines as well.

Hope this helps, right now my 22R is about as modded as you can get minus forced induction. The only issue ive run into my modded engine was a lot of carbon buildup from oil cooking on the bottom of the pistons. I think this is due to the performance head and carb coupled to my right foot, as well as removing the egr (the egr system can reduce cylinder temps by not burning as completely). I beleive i solved this by switching to a full synthetic oil.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2005, 01:19 PM

thanks the response. The timing chain and guides can be checked by simply removing the valve cover gasket, right ?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Hard to say. You should be able to remove the valve cover and look down the timing area with a flashlight to see the plastic timing chain guides which are black. There are 2 of them, one on each side. The right side is straight and the left side is curved with the timing chain tensioner below it. If you can see down far enough, try and see if they are deeply grooved. These guides can (over time) wear down and break and then the timing chain will groove the aluminum cover, but you would definately be able to hear that. If i recall correctly, the right side of the chain (going down from the cam sprocket) should be taught and the left side should have just a little play in it.

If I am wrong on any of this anyone please chime in, its been a few months since ive wrenched on the beast. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 PM

If it's been over 40K miles since the last timing chain, replace it w/ a kit from Ted @ engnblder.com; cheap and has metal backed guides.
Do a FULL tune up; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, EGR, fuel filter, O2 (if it has one), air filter, check for bad vaccum hoses.
Bleed brakes.
Change all fluids to a good synthetic.
Replace shifter bushing
rebuild front knuckles (kit from Marlin)
Replace worn rubber bushings; body mounts, suspension, etc.
Fix ALL rust ASAP, coat inside of frame w/ POR-15 or equivelant
Apply spray (Rhino/Line-X)bed liner to box; spray inside panels separately to seal all seems.
Clean box seams, seal joints under seam (Rhino/Line-X, but you'll have to remove the box)

Just some ideas.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rockota
If it's been over 40K miles since the last timing chain, replace it w/ a kit from Ted @ engnblder.com; cheap and has metal backed guides.
Do a FULL tune up; plugs, wires, cap, rotor, EGR, fuel filter, O2 (if it has one), air filter, check for bad vaccum hoses.
Bleed brakes.
Change all fluids to a good synthetic.
Replace shifter bushing
rebuild front knuckles (kit from Marlin)
Replace worn rubber bushings; body mounts, suspension, etc.
Fix ALL rust ASAP, coat inside of frame w/ POR-15 or equivelant
Apply spray (Rhino/Line-X)bed liner to box; spray inside panels separately to seal all seems.
Clean box seams, seal joints under seam (Rhino/Line-X, but you'll have to remove the box)

Just some ideas.
I agree with all of those ideas, except the 40k timing chain fact. There is no need to replace a 40k old timing chain, those things last forever.

If you can, just visually inspect the chain and unless it looks terrible, don't worry about it, worry more about the plastic guides (which can go bad and cause trouble, READ: chain rippage) and maybe replace them with metal guides depending on the situation of those as well.

Good luck, you got yourself a healthy one there!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
I agree with all of those ideas, except the 40k timing chain fact. There is no need to replace a 40k old timing chain, those things last forever.
Having replaced numerous t-chains w/ broken guides, I disagree. They often last over 100K, but that's not the norm, especially if hoping for intact guides. 40K is a good figure if looking to replace plastic guides w/ metal as preventive maintenance, especially when considering that the kit is < $70. I equate it to changing oil at 2k instead of 3K when first getting a vehicle; VERY cheap insurance. It's come to be one of the first things I recommend be done w/ a recently purchased 22re.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 PM

THanks for all the responses.

I've already done the following:
Spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, lub'd the chasis, bleed the brakes and the clutch, cleaned the pvc, checked the EGR filter, replace wheel cylinders, new cap and rotor.

I'll definitely look into doing a timing belt rebuild, and EGR

I'm not fimilar with the shifter bushing, or the
front knuckles, or rubber bushings, or POR-15.

I guess I'll have to do some research on that stuff.

Yeah, I really didn't think that gas mileage sounded right either but then again I have the 4 - speed manual, so maybe that makes a difference. I get into pretty high RPM on the highway around 65-70 mph.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:10 PM

here is my new, but old truck. just thought i'd share some pics:

Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by meap
thanks the response. The timing chain and guides can be checked by simply removing the valve cover gasket, right ?
Just pull the valve cover. The top of the timing chain will be right in the very front.
Grab it and pull, if there is much play/slack, check the guides as stated above.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Very nice looking 4X2 Meap. Take good care of her and don't beat her up. Not too many 5th gen 4X2's look that good these days....including mine. I'm working on that though.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:38 AM

Question Help .....

I need help, not providing some at this point... I am a novice about using this site and do not even know how to put a question on??? So any help that you or anyone reading can provide would be of benefit....
I have a 22r (1984 vintage) that I took out of my 84 PU before putting in a 4.3 chev conversion (works very well thank you -- I consider it my off road - get back into elk country rig); but I want to rebuild the old engine this winter and put it into about an 87 vintage Corolla for the "boy" and I want as much info about what I should/could do to it so that it "performs" but still gives good mileage and is reliable. Dependability is just a bit more desireable than awesome.
Thanx....
I also have 2 questions.... 95 4Runner SR5 22re -- what can be done to get a bit more umph out of it?? Am going to be using NWOR headers - other suggestions...
?? Is it possible to change the 5th gear in the 5 speed to get better on hiway mileage....??? LRB

Last edited by LongRangeBob; 01-14-2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: poor wording