Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Trying to find parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to find parts

Hi All! I threw this up in the newbie tech section and after not seeing any action on the question over the weekend figured that was probably the wrong place to post this specific set of questions.

I picked up a 79 toyota 4x4 a while back to use as a daily driver. Been pretty happy with it as it's driving solid with minimal issues. I have a few questions though, and hoping you all can point me in the right direction for finding some parts.

First, the previous owner wired in some generic turn signal assemblies and duct taped them to the old bumper. A few weeks after I got it the passenger side assembly fell off at some point while I was driving (no idea when) and so I'm in the market to get some OEM type turn signals to replace both in the hope that I can actually screw them in to place. I ordered some from the Yota Yard that I found through this site but it seems they sent me the 82-84 style assembly, rather than the 79-81 assembly. From what I can find the OEM style part I'm looking for is tyc part # 12-1112-00 (passenger side) and tyc part # 12-1113-00 (driver side). Except that part has been discontinued so I'm not sure where else to look. I do plan on calling up Yota Yard on Monday to find out if they have the actual assembly I'm looking for, but if I can find it any other way that would be awesome. Also, I just noticed another thread a bit further down recommending yodajims.com so I'll check them out as well.

Second, the leaf springs and shocks need to be replaced badly. Front end is drooping and it rides really hard. I've seen the dimensions for the leaf springs and found a set brand new but it will have to ship from Michigan and I'm wondering if there are any other stock-alike options that I might be able to find easier. Specifically I'm not looking for a lift or anything, I just want to get back to the stock height mostly so it rides smoother. Options? Also, should I be looking at swapping the rear leaf springs at the same time? They aren't drooping yet, but are fairly low.

If it matters for any junk yard suggestions or whatnot I'm in the Tacoma area in Washington.

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
You might check this listing out for your model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumper-Turn-...4AAOSwuTxV~Cjs. If you don't find replacement springs, you might check the Yellow Pages for a shop that rebuilds them to stock specs
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately those turn signal assemblies don't fit the bumper. I've seen a lot of those on ebay as well, all listed for the 79-84 but from what I have found online (and I am in no way an expert so this could easily be wrong info!) the turn signal assembly and likely front bumper changed in 82. The bumper I have on the truck looks like -this-. The end slots are where the turn signal goes in. I actually have the assembly style you linked and the wings on the ends of the assembly prevent the housing from fitting in there. The TYC style signals just sit right in front of the metal tabs on the bumper and are screwed on from the back I believe. Now it is absolutely possible that I have a non-stock bumper, in which case I guess I just need to suck it up and figure out a different option for mounting the turn signals, but it would be nice if I could get my hands on signals that would fit properly.

Hadn't thought about having the springs rebuilt. Definitely an option and I'll take a look around.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
this LED could easily be made to fit
https://www.rcpw.com/snow-plow-parts...EDYaAh8s8P8HAQ

or you could do like several have done and move the signal to the running light
Originally Posted by dropzone
Got the idea for this one from another forum:
Put the turn signal in with the parking light.

1) Remove the turnsignal and Headlight Bezel

2) cut out the turnsignal bulb socket, I used a 1" butterfly bit to drill just under the parking light (drill slowly-this plastic is old and brittle)

3) I ground down the sides to allow to fit in the edges of the bezel and left a lip to allow the plasti weld to bond to (clean all the old dirt and junk out) my lenses were due for a cleaning anyway

4) apply liberal amounts of plasti weld or epoxy:

5) installed just replace the parking light lense:

cheap easy and it actually allows the signal to be seen from the side.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Went with the turn signal in the running light option. Looks nice, and as you said it's stupid simple. I had just gotten new lenses to replace the old cracked ones as well so they're nice and bright. Thanks for the idea!

As far as the leaf springs go, I saw this and figured getting a bit of a lift on the truck would be nice (as would have nice new leaf springs instead of rebuilt rust monsters) and the price is about $50 less than what I had seen in the past. Leaf springs, shocks, etc. I know that Tuff Country doesn't have the best name around the internet, but since I won't be doing any major off roading in this until I'm able to get a new commuter car (many years in the future probably), it should stand up to the pavement well enough I think. If I do go this route is there anything else that would be needed other than the kit? This is my first time even contemplating a lift to a vehicle so I want to make sure I learn about any gotchas before I start tearing things apart.

Last edited by theodolus; 10-10-2016 at 01:37 PM.