Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Opinions on Bed Configuration, please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on Bed Configuration, please...

So, I've had a "construction type" ladder rack on my truck (81 4X4) to carry my boat & gear for about two years. I recently started looking at expedition type setups with a cap/shell and sleeping platform. Found a used shell for $20 (broken glass ), replaced glass for $75, broke glass again installing window...and now I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I've modified the rack to fit around the shell, but now that I look at it all I can imagine is what a pain in the a** it's going to be to crawl in and out of the thing. Plus now I'll have to build a hitch and buy a trailer if I want to haul anything.

So my question is: What are your opinions on shells vs. racks vs. open beds?
Anyone ever put a shell on and regret it?

I'm so pissed at that old shell and that heavy rack that I'm thinking I might replace it all with a headache rack and a tool box and be done with it.

Thanks Again...

Juanathon

P.S. I'm getting a Digital Camera for Christmas so I'll post some pictures of the poor old truck in question ASAP.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like a lumber rack myself
Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Yeah, I like mine too, but sometimes I start to think simple is better...I'm just wondering what others think.

Thanks for your reply,

Juanathon
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Bed Configuration, please...-driver-81-truck-b_w.jpg  
Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
I absolutly LOVED my "wrap-around rack" and my canopy/Topper ... went fishing and camping many , many times .. I loved this truck ! fiberglass bed I might add !!!! ....http://www.toyotafiberglass.com
hope you like the pics . maybe it will help !

Last edited by slacker; 12-24-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:56 PM

Slacker,

I actually was looking at your truck earlier this week.
I guess I'm just frustrated with this shell...I broke one of the three replacement
panes of glass I bought for it today...maybe I should've held out for a shell with good glass, but @ $20.00 for the shell, I bit the hook.

With the holidays, I'll have to wait on a replacement piece untill Monday, and I'll be back @ work. I had days off this week. Guess I'm just whining

I really don't carry too much cargo anyway, just use it for climbing up in the hills trout fishing and exploring. Day trips mostly, but it would be nice to stay overnight without having to set up a tent (hence, the desire for a shell). My son is already 11...won't be long untill he is too cool to hang out and fish.

The B&W pic is of the same rack that I've widened to straddle the shell.
What size lift and tires is the pickup in your post running?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:18 PM

just buy a whole window replacement .. you'll have a tough time replacing glass .. unless you cut the frame , and TIG(weld) it back in place . I'm building another .. thats the other post .

that is my old truck .. she's long gone now -- built in /82 -died in 1996-- (parted because of frame rot )

Tires are 36" swampers + ARB's ,5:29's , major engine .. + + + +

Last edited by slacker; 12-24-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Yeah, much like everyone else...I've been following your Trekker build.
Very, very nice and incredibly detailed job.
I've had aspirations to do the same, butjust have to keep the thing together for now, but someday I'd like to do a similar restore.
The Trekker "Idea" was actually my inspiration, but I can't bring myself to hack a walkthru into a good solid rust free cab. Besides, untill I read your build thread I did'nt know they had a fiberglass bed as well. I had always thought they were just a shelled and cut cab.

Thanks for your post, I 'm probably going to have to just bite the bullet and buy a new window unit or take it to the glass shop and quit tring to be "frugal" (cheap!)

Juanathon
Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 PM

sometimes frugal isnt the best option .. sometimes you just have to " bite the bulit" ..

you could always use duck tape

Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 PM

just a tip, i would install clear plexi glass in the topper,rather then regular glass.

i like your truck, and the rack btw
Old 12-24-2008, 06:22 PM

I keep trying to be less cheap...but sometimes I swear I need a recovery program for my "frugality".

I thought about Plexi/Lexan but it scratches so easy and I'm in Arizona...there's a LOT of dust/dirt/sand/etc. I may go that route yet if I break any more glass!

Thanks for your compliment. The rack is all 1.5" thinwall square tube. Plenty stout, weighs about 90-110 Lbs.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM

i understand the whole gettin scuffed too easily but i think i'd still go with that. i had a piece as my back window on my old 3.slow and it worked out well. granted i did not live in az..
another good thing about it, its semi playable so it slips into place easier.

your welcome, and welcome to yotatech, i see u just joined