Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

New guys thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guys thread

Hello guys my names Cody and i live in Florida and i just picked up my second toyota yesterday. I like this 82 a lot better aesthetically then the 85 and not to mention this one runs great, looks better and has the original wiring harness not some hack job. Just some background info on me, i just graduated a few days ago and looking to start college here a in while. Money is tight right now i need to find a realy job so dont come to this thread and look for super builds and quick progress lol.

the guy deliverd it to my house and i said it wouldnt run and need the carb rebuilt. I didnt ask questions i told a buddy and he said he would give me a grand for it as is. When he left i tried to start it but didnt have enough power so i bought a batery and poored some gas in the carb and it started right up and purred.

Plans include a 4" lift and bigger tires at first. Im thinking i can clear 35s? I got some research to do on how im going to lift it cheapily but not be backwoods front axel block bs. After that im going to look into gears and a locker for the rear.

old toyota on the way to mudfest

PS yall have the best smileys on any forum i have been on lol.

Last edited by zhillz; 06-25-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:27 PM

5-29

Drained gas tank. It had been sitting for a few years and the gas was stale. It hurt my heart pooring down 3/4 of a tank of gas lol.

Scrubed the green slime off the car.

Mocked up where the front running lights would be.

cleaned out all the stupid stuff that came with the truck.

Im trying to locate a new steering wheel and dash or if anyone knows the size of the bolt for the steering wheel i have a cheapo Grant wheel to throw on it. Does anyone know of a good parts dealer if they even have oem parts dealers anymore?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow nice find.

pouring that gas must have sucked though

nice rig
Old 05-31-2008, 03:17 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
front signal option

Originally Posted by zhillz
5-29

Mocked up where the front running lights would be.
if you mean your front turn signals, with that big hunk of steel upfront looks like they are missing.
here is what I did for that, just an idea;
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Got the idea for this one from another forum:
Put the turn signal in with the parking light.

1) Remove the turnsignal and Headlight Bezel

2) cut out the turnsignal bulb socket, I used a 1" butterfly bit to drill just under the parking light (drill slowly-this plastic is old and brittle)

3) I ground down the sides to allow to fit in the edges of the bezel and left a lip to allow the plasti weld to bond to (clean all the old dirt and junk out) my lenses were due for a cleaning anyway

4) apply liberal amounts of plasti weld or epoxy:

5) installed just replace the parking light lense:

cheap easy and it actually allows the signal to be seen from the side...
BTW good find on that truck, $600 is not too bad of deal
Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 AM

holy crap thats a good find, wheres the rust , there appears to be none at all!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
if you mean your front turn signals, with that big hunk of steel upfront looks like they are missing.
here is what I did for that, just an idea;

BTW good find on that truck, $600 is not too bad of deal
5-31
One of the tires had a leak so i got that repaired today.

thanks for the mini write up but i was talkin about runnin lights or idk what the hell they are called the extra lights you can see in the center of the truck, just for offroad.

I'm down here in florida and its so damn hot i havent touched it. i have a new slave cylinder, plugsnwires, and air filter. It would be nice if i had room to put it in the shop or at least under the carport but my step dad is tearing apart his bike.

Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner
holy crap thats a good find, wheres the rust , there appears to be none at all!!!!
There is hardly any on the body just a FEW surface rust. there are a few spots that appear to be bondo/repaired sections and then there is some rust under the bedliner and a piece in the cab.

I am really like that i found such a good bed but i love the looks of flatbeds any idea's on a cost for a shop to do it?

Last edited by zhillz; 05-31-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ The bed on your truck appears to be an 2nd gen (84-88) bed with a 79-83 Tail gate on it, I can tell by the squared off fenders, body lines dont match and no hooks on the bed rail.

Nice truck though! I would find a stock front bumper myself, no need for the huge plate steel bumper if it doesn't have a winch up there, Id pull off the rear bumper, Im not sure what the laws are where you live but here a rear bumper isn't required on pickup's.

My advice is make sure everything works good on the truck before you mod it. My truck sat for a long time before I bought it, and I bought it all apart, Near the end of the build I dove right in bought a lift and tires spent the rest of my money on insurance, then stuff started going... waterpump, clutch master, brakes, rear gears were set up wrong, it wasnt fun.. Its up and going again but the used clutch master I swapped in just went a couple days ago, lasted a month.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 05-31-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Island_Yota
^ The bed on your truck appears to be an 2nd gen (84-88) bed with a 79-83 Tail gate on it, I can tell by the squared off fenders, body lines dont match and no hooks on the bed rail.

Nice truck though!
thanks for clearing that up i noticed the body lines didnt line up but i didnt know squared off fenders/tailgate thing. I like this tailigate better then my 85 it had the latches on each side.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM

6-3

found a 95 jeep grand cherokee with 130k miles for 700 only needed a fuel pump. installed that in the guys driveway in 30 minutes and drove away he seemed pissed lol. But now i am broke untill this sells, hopefully this will get my lift tires n gears the kbb is 3300

Last edited by zhillz; 06-07-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 PM

6-7

Installed the new cluth master cylinder today found a new ujoint still in box under the seat YAY.
cleaned up the engine bay.
Fixed the passanger side door so it actually opens now.

Need some advice, I dont want to have the driveshafts lengthend or really mess with anything to much besides extending break lines.

Im thinking of a 2 in body lift and then 3inch springs f/r i dont want blocks and if more ill get 1 or 2in shackles? I would like 35s or 36s mainly for looks. Im new to this stuff so dont rag on me.

3" Kit for 79-85 Pickup 4WD (Front Leaf Springs w/ Add-a-Leaf)
^that kit is $300 from Procomp

Some kid in school was saying i can flip the front for 2inches and then i can get 2inch shackles for rear and that is pretty cheap but is he blowing smoke out of his ass?

This is not my dd just a toy so im looking for cheap yet durable lift 4-6 inches.
thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amazing finds on both the yota and the jeep. I like your idea of funding your toyota build by selling jeeps!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:13 PM

LOL, i have never had a jeep and if i ever wheel one it wont be a grand cherokee lol.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:56 AM

I like my Rough Country lift. The 3" lift actually lifted my truck more that 4". I'm not a fan of shackle lifts. I also have an Aussie Locker in the rear. It was cheap and works awesome both wheeling and on the street. I'm installing 4.88 gears soon on my SR5. I'll let you know how I like them.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:30 AM

do you have a lot of room? The tires on my truck now measure out to right at 32s and you have a 4inch and 33s i think i can get the 35s under there do you have a pic of your truck?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4bangin had 35's on his '79 STOCK with only a 2in body lift..well..more like 1 3/4 in....with a 4in lift..depending on the lift..and how much your willing to cut..you could fit 36's all the way up to 38's...theres a guy with a yellow 1st gen sittin on 4in lift and 38's super swamper TSL/SX's...im gonna be running the 4in procomp lift...full leaf spring lift..no blocks or shackles..and im either gonna be running 33x13.50 LTB's or 34x10.50 LTB's...but if i happen to find a set of 36's or bigger on the internet for sale for cheap..then i'll lift the truck even more to fit em..anything bigger than a 35' tire...and im going to be runnin 5.71 gears..and when i do gears..im gonna do lockers...welded rear and lockrite in the front..its a DD but just in town..i drive my dads diesel jetta everywhere else...its a muddin/getting me to work and school/taking my friend places he CANT go in his ford with 4inlift and 33's/going places nobody has ever gone before kind of truck...lol
Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM

That yellow one looks dumb they are so stuffed. I think im going with the 3" procomp for 2--something and if i need more ill do a 1 or 2inch body lift or shackles dont know yet.

I put in the new master cylinder and the hard line that goes in has the fitting the screws into the master cylidner... WELLLLL, it is all chewed up and i took a wire brush to it for 20minutes and wd40 and i cant get it to thread in so how do i change it out? its flared at then end.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
need a brake line bubble flare tool or get a new line from toyota i know those hard brake lines are cheap from them actually